Why Utah Could Dump Cases of Beer Down the Drain

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,997) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

https://www.foodandwine.com/beer/utah-beer-laws-liquor-stores-discount-dispose

2. JBogan

JBogan Champion (834) Jul 15, 2007 California

Anyone thinking of going Trick or Treating this year in Utah might want to drop by those liquor stores.

KentT, Domingo and Roguer like this.
  3. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,868) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

From the article:
    So, if there's a mandatory markup, how can they sell the beer at "discounted prices"? :thinking_face:
    Unless some of their current stock is marked up higher than 66.5%? :open_mouth:

I don't know - seems to me most domestic beers between 4% and 5% are going to be the big AB or MC brands or macro imports. The AB and MC beers only have a shelf life of around 4 months anyway according to the brewers themselves. I'd imagine their orders in the last few months should have reflected that.

#3 jesskidden, Oct 29, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  4. The_Kriek_Freak

The_Kriek_Freak Poo-Bah (1,770) Aug 18, 2014 Pennsylvania

These antiquated laws are just a joke and it seems like the US is full of them. I didn't expect anything better from Utah. Here in Pennsylvania we have our fair share of stupid alcohol laws even though things have been slowly improving (except the prices). It was a culture shock when I moved here from Chicago.

tzieser, chrismattlin, ESHBG and 4 others like this.
  5. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,815) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Utah needs to get with the times, these out dated and stupid laws are just a laugh.

6. officerbill

officerbill Disciple (378) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

Does this mean that, even though the stores are state owned, they are managed independently?

Well, my father is from the the last fully dry (illegal to buy, sell, or openly possess) county in Alabama. When we visited my grandparents we had to go to the next county to buy beer and transport it back in the trunk “out of public view”.

7. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,812) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Trader

If I have this correct, you can buy liquor in Utah without limitation (other than the times they're open - no Sundays or holidays) at any state liquor store.

But they still have weird control laws for what shops can sell what strength beer because...? It must be because of the cost of liquor licenses.

#7 NeroFiddled, Oct 29, 2019
    Harrison8 likes this.
  8. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (277) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Trader

Which big breweries actually cater to these rules? I remember seeing some 3.2 dos Equis years ago

Do the big macro guys need to have two different labels for say bud light? One at 4.2 and another at 4.1? One to be sold by grocery stores and another at liquor stores?

Is craft beer allowed in Utah? I think I was at a Moab brewery years ago and everything was 3.2.
    It all seemed like a big waste of time to cater to that crowd.

9. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,868) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

You can see a quite a few of MC's current (Not More Than) 3.2 beers on the last 5 pages of their NUTRITIONAL INFO PDF including everybody's favorite:
    Notice that "Coors Light 3.2" is actually higher (by a tenth) in alcohol than OE 800 380...

#9 jesskidden, Oct 29, 2019
    pudgym29, chrismattlin and Spikester like this.
  10. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,470) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

The draft beers are 4.0% ABV, 3.2% ABW.

I did have an 6%ish IPA from Moab Brewing. It was from a bottle (or a can - it was years ago). They make stronger beers, but those are sold to the State Store, then they buy them back. My memory is foggy as to where I drank it, at the brewery or back in our room. You can look at their website, plenty of >4% beers in cans.

11. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,605) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

You can still get 3.2% ABW beer in Minnesota. That is the limitation on beer sold outside of liquor stores (i.e. in grocery stores, gas stations, etc.). Not only do the big boys still make 3.2 beer, as of a few years ago, so did some of the larger craft brewers (IDK if they still do...).

The market (defined by law) for 3.2 beer is getting smaller and smaller, so this may change "soon". (Of course, "soon" WRT getting such laws changed in MN is measured by legislative sessions, and usually multiple ones, so... )

chrismattlin likes this.
  12. craigbelly

craigbelly Champion (829) Dec 31, 2015 Iowa

No one is dumping anything. At the very least the stores take a small hit by putting it on a fire sale. Depending on the customer I'm sure some distributors would take back and/or help absorb the loss.

chrismattlin and Lance_D like this.
  13. KentT

KentT Aspirant (205) Oct 15, 2008 Tennessee

That last sentence, good friends, is the BA Quotable Of The Week, my nickname for it is Olde English 380, Fine Mormon Malt Liquor.

pudgym29, chrismattlin and Lance_D like this.
  14. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,468) Dec 25, 2003 California

They could feed it to cows to make them happy.

chrismattlin and Squire like this.
  15. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (239) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Yeah next to Utah we are probably the worst in the country.

16. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,336) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I've found full strength beer in Utah, had to look but I found it.

Alefflicted likes this.
  17. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,030) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Just dump it all back into the Colorado River, and you've got Utah's solution to the drought contingency plans on the river. #wateriswater #innovation
    Maybe I'm in the wrong thread. :wink:

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.