Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Wichita, KS

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by HoodooOperator, Jan 14, 2013.

1. HoodooOperator

so i travel to Wichita monthly from Houston and am always searching for good brew places to hit up. I typically stay in Old Town and grab growlers from River City Brewery and typically always end up at the Anchor bar for thier tap selection. Looking for some other good restaraunts with a good selection or any other good local watering holes.

What are some good local brews & breweries to keep an eye out for, along with any badass seasonals to try?

Typically go bottle shopping over at Goebel's anytime im in town and take some back to Texas with me.

2. jamesgaither

Beer Trader

Have you tried Wichita Brewing & Pizzeria? Southwest corner of 13th and Tyler.
    8815 W 13th St Suite 100
    Wichita, KS 67212

3. HoodooOperator

No, but have heard good things....

4. jamesgaither

Beer Trader

Also, the chains:
    BJ's on the east side.
    Old Chicago on east side, west side and downtown.
    Granite City on east side and west side.

And if you don't mind driving a bit, Hank is Wiser Brewery in Cheney (west of Wichita).

5. russpowell

Subscriber Beer Trader

The Pizzeria is well worth a visit

6. CowsandBeer

Beer Trader

I heard Wichita is getting bottles of the BA Bigfoot but Topeka is not. Jealous...

7. KansasBeerLover

Wichita brewing has great pizza and good, but not great, beer. I haven't been there for a few months, but they needed to put a head on their beer, meaning the aroma was lacking, but the flavor was good. They have been making different brews.

Old town's Old Chicago is the best of the 3 locations. East has the worst service and no pizza bar at lunch. And no growlers.

You've been to Anchor. Good beer, but the food sucks. River City has gone to the dogs on food, their beer is good, but not great.

And with Goebel, you have found the best beer store in the state. By all means, get some of Marshall's beer (Okla.) since it isn't available in Texas.

8. barleyswine

Kansas is getting 10 cases of BA bigfoot.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe