Wicked Weed Brewing Brings Flavor and Funk to The High End

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Keene, May 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kexp

kexp Initiate (161) May 10, 2007 North Carolina

2. NoleBeerNoleFun

NoleBeerNoleFun Disciple (321) Aug 17, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Normally Brewers can kind of sell that BS when they cash out,but WW Owners are worth North Of 500 Million Dollars so they prolly should have left out the "more resources" were necessary for Innovating Part...I'm sure The InBev PR Department when they sent this standard Brewery Acquisition Press Release out forgot about that..expecting that part to be redacted in future articles about WW Acquisition

3. treznor

treznor Zealot (558) Dec 20, 2006 North Carolina
    Trader

Man, what is it with me and multi-quotes today?
    Yup, and its not like Asheville is hurting for choice.

I'm actually not entirely certain how sour-dominated WW is. I mean, yeah, they certainly have a higher percentage of their beer that's sour than the normal brewery so in that sense their sour-dominated. But I'm not sure if by volume they are or not. I see/hear about a ton of Pernicious and Freak of Nature flowing through stores and the same thing for some of their other clean beers, to a lesser extent.

Beer_Economicus and nas4atu like this.
  4. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,681) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

Wow I never knew Budweiser was Beechwood aged. That must be the unique flavor, along with the rice and 'merica.

Badfish, jakecattleco and VABA like this.
  5. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (952) Mar 17, 2009 Washington
    Trader

I suppose it's more of the same if that's correct. It's not something I've ever looked into since I don't buy Wicked Weed.

6. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Disciple (311) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

After 246 unique brews I have had from there...it seems likely I will visit as often. You picked the wrong city to open a small business and sell to the big guys... I know it will not affect their bottom dollar but locals will not go....

7. kell50

kell50 Meyvn (1,224) Jul 25, 2007 North Carolina

Sell outs.

The Asheville beer community is TIGHT and many, many will simply and easily drop them like a bad habit.

8. ericwo

ericwo Initiate (96) Aug 21, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

This makes me really sad, was really getting into Wicked Weed. We just started seeing some distribution in the Philly area. Even stopped in the brewery for lunch last summer when in Asheville. The beers are so good. But I won't spend a nickel on their beers after this news. And I'm sure the beer stores will be overflowing with Wicked Weed beers now, right next to all of the Goose Island, Lagunitas and Ballast Point stuff.

9. treznor

treznor Zealot (558) Dec 20, 2006 North Carolina
    Trader

I'm at 290 unique from them myself. Have a ton in the cellar. My enthusiasm for their beer has been dying out for the last year or so, this was just the natural end of it.

Geuzedad, nas4atu, thatche2 and 4 others like this.
  10. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,136) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Traded for WW bottom of the line shelf stuff. Nothing I cared for. It's no loss to me. In fact Jaded and Hop Drop and Roll (both from North Carolina) were far better IPAs then Pernicious!

ManBearPat likes this.
  11. NoMoreBeerBelly

NoMoreBeerBelly Initiate (147) Dec 2, 2009 North Carolina

You have the wrong owner. Rick Gunthy's brother (Bill Gunthy who started the company with Renker), is worth half a billion. Rick, while he made a bunch of money as COO, isn't worth anywhere close to 500m.

12. CavemanRamblin

CavemanRamblin Crusader (740) Jun 19, 2014 North Carolina

I've always thought it was pretty crazy how quickly they became the best in the state in both hoppy beers and sours and then how equally quickly they were surpassed in both. I guess that should have given me some indication that this could be down the road, but I never expected it.

This honestly gives me that much more respect for other breweries in Aville who have been doing it for longer, with fewer resources, in such a highly competitive market.

13. Slowdive

Slowdive Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2015 North Carolina

Dude, they have an entire facility dedicated to brewing and packaging clean beers. They 100% want you to drink those fresh, it even says it on their facebook banner and posters at every bottle shop in town.

Badfish likes this.
  14. JuliusPepperwood

JuliusPepperwood Aspirant (221) Jul 21, 2013 North Carolina

Pulled from this 2014 press release about their expansion at the time: "We will be self distributing our beer throughout the state of NC investing in high quality refrigerated trucks to transport our beer from brewhouse to tap. We want to always control and assure the freshness of our product."

Wonder how hard the local Bud rep in Texas is going to laugh when they're told to make sure WW beers stay refrigerated.

Geuzedad, Badfish, ManBearPat and 6 others like this.
  15. Sponan

Sponan Initiate (192) Jan 20, 2008 Tennessee

If you disregard moving the brewing location of much of their core line to various other In-bev locations, then I suppose this is correct. I don't believe there were recipe changes.

16. CavemanRamblin

Wonder if any bottle shops will stop carrying them? I bet some do.

IllaDub and lateralusbeer like this.
  17. ajcuster89

ajcuster89 Initiate (196) Apr 14, 2014 Indiana

I vacation in NC quite often, and after my first visit to WW last summer, I was not impressed. Sure, the beers are OK, but the vibe of the place was not local at all. We had a much better experience at Burial (awesome!) and Fonta Flora. Wicked Weed will not see another dime of my money, as I do with all AB InBev breweries. I will stick to local breweries who don't sell out to those trying to destroy them.

18. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (999) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Sounds like Golden Road, except they brewed better beer.

hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  19. lateralusbeer

lateralusbeer Zealot (508) Feb 7, 2010 North Carolina
    Society Trader

As I watch their beer delivered on boiling hot distributor trucks in the summer, I do wonder... Was the original statement BS, or in the last 3 years did they decide that they don't care about quality after all?

20. Sponan

Seems like you have extensive knowledge about the inner workings of a brewery many states away.

Badfish likes this.
  21. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

That does not seem to be the case with the earlier purchases by ABI. For example, the employees who remained at GI after they were acquired by ABI report being allowed complete discretion.

Similarly the folks at Devil's Backbone are reported to be pleased with their ability to expand their range and quality of the beers they want to brew.

@cronimi

#141 drtth, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
    Lansman likes this.
  22. CavemanRamblin

Hopefully this sacrifice to the InBev gods will satisfy them and they won't come after any more NC breweries in the future.

If this woulda been Burial I'd be extremely pissed. If it woulda been Fonta Flora then I would've been grief stricken and not eaten for a week. Olde Hickory and well...I may have said goodbye to this cruel world.

Geuzedad, IllaDub, nas4atu and 2 others like this.
  23. Sponan

I don't know if it is true, but there have been stories the goal of Wicked Weed was to build a brand and sell it. Given the primary source of financing, it made sense.

peetoteeto likes this.
  24. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (213) Sep 7, 2006 Virginia

They had infection problems in various barrel-aged beers well before they were purchased, I believe. One even turned out to be a fantastic beer (infected Matilda for some of the old-timers on here).

drtth likes this.
  25. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (213) Sep 7, 2006 Virginia

Well, if you want to play semantics, I'll play. You said "damaging your integrity for personal gain IS selling out". In other words, "X is Y". If you wanted to state an opinion, you say "I think X is Y" or "because of X, they could be Y". You noted it as a fact, not an opinion.

See, two can play the "i'm an asshole" game.

Back to the point, I don't have an issue with the sell, assuming WW is still allowed to brew as they see fit. Doesn't mean I'll run to buy them if they show up in KY, but I don't have an issue with them doing it. In all honesty I wish I had a business successful enough that I could sell it for millions of dollars.

croush likes this.
  26. Miles_in_beer_city

Miles_in_beer_city Devotee (447) Jun 18, 2014 North Carolina
    Society

I've got 16 on my list, and only 1 for 2017. They (WW) just aren't that special, and I see them more as a destination for tourists than even SN and NB.

When in the mood for a sour, Catawba's Rickhouse is just down the street.

27. imfatsowhat

imfatsowhat Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2013 California

I hope like this they make it out to the West Coast

28. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,861) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

So, what you're saying is, you agree with the original post that you will be finding large quantities of 6 month old bottles and cans of the three light hoppy beers I saw at Wicked Weed actual in March? Just saying, it doesn't seem like there's really a whole hell of a lot of beers coming out of WW that need to be opened fresh, relatively speaking, both in regards to WW's own offerings, as well as the other breweries ABInbev acquired, like Elysian.

I really don't understand what point you're arguing with me. Above all else, Wicked Weed is known for old beer. I didn't say bad beer, I said old beer. Saisons, sours, ba stouts, are, more often than not, by definition, not fresh.

29. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,499) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Has there been any announcement of the purchase price?

Cheers!

Harrison8 likes this.
  30. cmmatt

cmmatt Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2011 North Carolina

Can confirm Brawley's and Salud here in Charlotte will no longer be carrying Wicked Weed.

JohnnyMc, craigo19, IllaDub and 8 others like this.
  31. onefiveseven

onefiveseven Initiate (72) Oct 23, 2009 Wisconsin

I do.

ChainGangGuy likes this.
  32. Bfairhurst74

Bfairhurst74 Initiate (160) Nov 16, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

That ended shortly after they put out that statement. They began to sign with distributors and I know in Charlotte their beer was no longer cold stored, they signed with Adams which is the AB house there. Even though WW assured us it would be and if it wasn't to let them know so actions could be taken to correct the problem. Thinking back to that now, they gave us the speech how nothing was going to change and this is a good thing then too.

lateralusbeer likes this.
  33. lordofthemark

lordofthemark Aspirant (225) Jan 28, 2015 Virginia

If you do all your drinking at brewpubs and taprooms. There are already stadiums and other venues where it is very hard to get independent craft. There are mainstream (non locavore)restaurants and non craft focused bars where it is starting to get harder. Still pretty easy to find independent craft in my local supermarkets, but it just got a tiny bit harder, and none of the local microbrewery startup's have shown up there lately, afaik.

34. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Meyvn (1,393) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

I know of 3 in the Triangle that are. Both Beer Studies and Ramblers.

CavemanRamblin likes this.
  35. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,499) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I personally do most of my off-premise beer drinking at local beer bars that feature craft beer including draft beers from local craft breweries/brewpubs. If I do want to enjoy beers at brewpub/tasting rooms there are plenty of choices for me. How is the beer scene near you in this regard?

Cheers!

P.S. For example, a local beer bar I frequent regularly has beers from Tired Hands - a local brewery/brewpub. Tired Hands distributes their beers (kegs).

36. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Meyvn (1,393) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

All youve done is win on a technicality. Yes their barrel aged beer is "old," but how does that relate to assuring the freshness of their IPAs? That is the vast majority of their sales in terms of volume, and freshness is key.

So, what is your point here? They sell barrel aged saisons, BA Stouts, and Sours? sure.

37. Original_Fake

Original_Fake Aspirant (224) Nov 15, 2013 North Carolina

I don't think that really harms my point. AB taking over should have meant better quality control. Instead, there was a massive infection of their most prized beer. I'm not one that's totally in the camp of "I won't drink it if AB is involved" but I also don't think GI as a brewery is better off for it. Monetarily, of course they are.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  38. tillmac62

tillmac62 Poo-Bah (1,792) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Another one bites the dust, by biting the green.

39. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,861) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Oh, ya'll want Da Point?

Well, Da Point is, as it was already stated, by you yourself, and I quote:

So if locals never even see "stale" WW IPAs on shelves, why would you all of a sudden expect to see stale WW IPAs all the way across the country?

It does not compute.

Thus, the only WW beers I'd imagine seeing on shelves with old bottle dates would be those that are already intended to be old in the first place.

40. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (952) Mar 17, 2009 Washington
    Trader

You decided to come at me with a snarky comment and now you're picking apart the sentence that is actually a fact. I stated the textbook definition of selling out. My opinion was before it. Now I'm an asshole?

I don't have any problem with someone selling off their business. I'm skeptical of who they sold it to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.