Wicked Weed Red Angel Pre-Sale and Release

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Doug6322, Feb 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug6322

Doug6322 Initiate (198) Oct 30, 2013 Florida
    Trader

Posted today

2016 Red Angel Pre-Sale
    Posted on: February 26, 2016
    Red Angel Pre-sale and Release 2016
    Red Angel Pre-Sale – Saturday, March 12th at 12pm (EST) via Brown Paper Tickets. Link will be posted on all Wicked Weed Social Media on Saturday, March 12th @ 10am (EST). Bottles of Red Angel (500ml) are $20 each (plus processing fees and NC sales tax). There will be an option for the purchase of a 12 pack or a 6 pack. Limit one purchase per-person.

Pre-Sale Rules:
    -All ticket buyers must be 21 years or older.
    -The individual who purchased the ticket must be present with a valid ID and print out or mobile confirmation of their ticket.
    -Only individuals with a valid ID and a ticket in their name can pick-up their allotment.
    -If an individual’s name appears on more than one ticket, one of those tickets and bottle sales will be null and void. This rule exists to ensure that no one individual has a monopoly or unfair advantage regarding the number of bottles allotted per person.

The Pre-Sale Bottle Pick Up:
    There will be 2 sessions for pre-sale bottle pick up.
    1) Saturday, March 26th @ 12pm-close
    2) Sunday, March 27th @ 12pm-close

*Regardless of when you choose to retrieve your bottles you must have a valid ID that matches the name on your ticket.

-NO PROXIES. If any individual other than the ticket purchaser attempts to pick up the pre-purchased bottles, those bottles will be forfeited back to Wicked Weed. The no proxy rule is in place to ensure that as many people as possible have the chance to purchase bottles.

-NO SHIPPING. We cannot under any circumstance ship bottles. By purchasing a ticket you acknowledge that you are obligated to pick up your bottles in person.

-NO BOTTLE HOLDING. Wicked Weed cannot, under any circumstances, hold pre-sale bottles if purchaser is not able to attend either pick-up session. A refund will be issued to you if you are unable to pick-up.

-REFUNDS. If you are unable to pick up your bottles and inform us prior to the event Wicked Weed will issue you a full refund via Brown Paper Tickets. If you request a refund up to one week after the pickup dates Wicked Weed will issue you a refund for the bottles only (we cannot refund Brown Paper Ticket Fees). After one week, refunds will not be issued.

Red Angel Bottle Sale:
    A limited number of Red Angel bottle sales will commence Saturday, March 26th at 12pm at The Funkatorium (147 Coxe Ave). 6 bottle maximum per person.
    The line will form outside the patio roll door. All individuals waiting in line will be ID’ed and issued a numbered wristband in the order in which you arrived.
    No individual may go through the line twice.
    Because of the limited quantity of bottles it is highly plausible that we sell out and therefore offer our apologies in advance for anyone waiting in line who is not able to purchase Red Angel.

treznor likes this.
  2. c64person

c64person Devotee (426) Mar 20, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

Kudos to WW for keeping releases the same, they are more often than not super smooth and great times.

3. abb610

abb610 Aspirant (253) Oct 14, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

Im actually considering going up just for the beers on tap and not buying any red angel.

lateralusbeer and mjk91383 like this.
  4. gravity

gravity Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2015 North Carolina

Can't wait for this years. I wonder if they plan to keep the same line up or mix the angels up?

5. c64person

Trader

Super easy sale, no problems with tickets. Good job Wicked Weed!

6. tiamat8086

tiamat8086 Aspirant (269) Jun 12, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

Easy sale again thanks Wicked Weed.

7. c64person

Trader

Looks sold out now, but probably locked up in people's carts.

8. Lonestar9

Lonestar9 Initiate (187) Apr 27, 2008 South Carolina
    Trader

That's the craziest thing I've heard...=)

Actually it really isn't a bad idea...lots of angels on tap usually, good crowd, and no line waiting if you missed out on the presale. I got in the presale, thanks WW, but your idea makes sense.

9. andyctree

andyctree Aspirant (239) Apr 20, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

My favorite of the Angel releases. I know a lot of people knock Wicked Weed for their pricing (myself included), but I think the Red and Golden were very fairly priced for the quality of those two beers.

Lonestar9 likes this.
  10. abb610

Trader

Yeah, I went to every release last year and had a ball at all of them. Great beers, great people and a great vibe!!

Lonestar9 likes this.
  11. Yaoverstand

Yaoverstand Initiate (52) Sep 22, 2015 North Carolina
    Trader

Grabbed a 6 pack in under 20 seconds. Can't wait to get up to the Funkatorium on the 27th...the only angel I've had is darkness.

Lonestar9 likes this.
  12. KevinZ2301

KevinZ2301 Initiate (118) Jan 22, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

Drink ANY Jester King sour next to a WW sour, not only are JK sours 4.00 less for the same size bottle they are MUCH better sours.....Wicked Weed is just sending stuff into the market as fast as they can now.....

inspektor likes this.
  13. W_Des

W_Des Disciple (379) Feb 15, 2015 North Carolina

Colour Five was kind of meh. Would prefer most WW over that one.

14. c64person

Trader

I would disagree with that as well. Wicked Weed's have a lot more fruit and will age much better than Jester King's fruited sours. Fen Tao and Color 5 were very 'meh'.

We recently did the full line of of last years Angels, and damn... Damn Golden Angel is drinking fine right now.

15. Generous_Beer_Lover

Generous_Beer_Lover Initiate (55) Oct 30, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

Drinking b1 atrial like jam city. Full angel lineup left me wanting complexity for $$ bottles, not faded fruit.

inspektor likes this.
  16. lateralusbeer

lateralusbeer Aspirant (235) Feb 7, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

This is what I've done for the last several releases. Had everything on tap, no need at all for bottles.

17. andyctree

andyctree Aspirant (239) Apr 20, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

If you had said Crooked Stave I would agree, but I have had all of the Jester King sours and have yet to be blown away by any of them.

To me, the Angels are the only decent sours that Wicked Weed is producing, but with that being said they are not even close to Crooked Stave.

mccorvey likes this.
  18. CavemanRamblin

CavemanRamblin Crusader (740) Jun 19, 2014 North Carolina
    Deactivated

The fruited Angels have been great, particularly Red and Golden. I just wish you didn't have to buy 6 at a time in the pre-sale, I don't want that many. But I think they're pretty comparable on price and quality to stuff like most JK sours. It's the regular distro stuff that is way overpriced. I mean I'll gladly drink pours of stuff like Oblivion and Genesis when I'm at the Funkatorium, but there's no way I'm dropping $16 on a bottle of one of those.

andyctree likes this.
  19. Yaoverstand

Trader

I agree with the case/half case at a time purchasing. Luckily I have friends who will gladly split a half case and I get a fancy glass out of it! I also agree with not paying the asking prices for WW shelf sours. Even $20 for chocolate covered and Bourbon Oblivion (yeah i know I overpaid, but that's what the shop near me was charging and I heard good things) is a bit much.

As far as comparing WW sours to others, I've had Russian River, The Rare Barrel, Crooked Stave, Jolly Pumpkin, JK, Upland, and of course Fonta Flora...imo, the only ones that have been clearly a cut above WW have been from RR and down the road at FF. They're all slightly different in funk and sourness but I wouldn't say that any of the others that I've had are noticeably better or worse than WW.

NCMonte and CavemanRamblin like this.
  20. c64person

Trader

Yeah, and when you do the pricing on many of them, they are similar for similar products. Fruited sours take time effort and energy and that cost is passed down to the consumers.

To me it seems if they are too expensive, tickets wouldn't have sold out in 15 minutes.

21. greensparkplug

greensparkplug Initiate (93) Nov 28, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

There's a difference between cost to produce and market value.

Their sours sell out in minutes in large part due to the amazing job Wicked Weed has done at promoting itself in the craft beer community. People aren't just buying a good sour, they're buying a Wicked Weed sour, a limited bottle with a sexy design and a name that has cache right now.

Wicked Weed could probably charge $25 or $30 per bottle on the limited Angels and still sell out in under an hour.

And Lagunitas could probably charge $10 for bottles of Cappuccino Stout instead of $5.

Something can be overpriced/too expensive and still sell out quickly.

I don't think Wicked Weed's pricing is outrageous, but I also don't think they'll ever be accused of being a great bargain.

22. NCMonte

NCMonte Aspirant (248) Jan 28, 2014 North Carolina

I'm with some of the folks above in saying some of the WW's Angel sours are just ok (White Angel made the mistake of being released at almost the same time as the Biltmore Winery Colab, which was also aged in white wine barrels and tasted better) and some are pretty fantastic. Red, Golden and Darkness where my favorites by far. Looked over the weekend still had 3 Red Angels in the Celler. Finished 2 off, going to wait on the last one to do a comparison. See everyone on the 27th!!

Edit: My greatest fear, I order a 1/2 case only to find out it is the most amazing Sour ever made and I should have gotten a case. :grimacing:

23. Yaoverstand

Trader

It's OK because they're going to make it again!

NCMonte likes this.
  24. ChrisKayler

ChrisKayler Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2013 Virginia

How early do people start lining up for the Red Angel release?

25. abb610

Trader

In the past they have handed out wristbands around 10. You can leave and come back at noon once you have a wristband. Ive shown up around 9:30, waited with friends for 30 min then go eat brunch. Come back at 11:55 and line up in correct order based upon numbered wristbands

26. ChrisKayler

ChrisKayler Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2013 Virginia

Seems easy. Thanks!

27. wjrainer

wjrainer Initiate (127) Feb 21, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

Unless it is like angel of darkness. That line lasted so long. Should go back to the old way without chocolate covered with it though

28. NCMonte

Last year I was at three releases I missed out on pre-sales. Got to the Red Angel release around 6am, there were 5-6 people ahead of me. Later on, I was showing up around 7am and still ended up first 10. Hope that helps. Oh, once wrist bands are handed out, you can leave, then come back at the release time, get back in line. Your wrist band holds your place in line. WARNING: If you miss your wrist band number, you go to the end of the line. I.E.: If you have band number 45, and get back in line while they are serving band number 49, you're out of luck.

29. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Disciple (311) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

I do not know if they still do this....I was there in line for AoD, left the line and got back in relatively close to where I was but they did not even check the number.

30. importriders

importriders Initiate (53) Dec 13, 2015 California

Never been to an Angel release, actually first time I'll be in Asheville, but I'm assuming all the replies above about wristbands are if you didn't get in on the pre-sale. How are things for pre-sale bottle pick up?

31. treznor

treznor Zealot (559) Dec 20, 2006 North Carolina
    Trader

Yes, wristbands are for if you don't have a pre-sale ticket. If you do have a pre-sale ticket, you bring it up, show it, and they hand you beer (and a glass if you purchased 12). Takes maybe 10-15 minutes if you show up at the start of the sale. Any other time it'll take 5 minutes or less. No reason at all to get there early if you have pre-sale.

importriders and abb610 like this.
  32. importriders

importriders Initiate (53) Dec 13, 2015 California

Thanks! That's what I assumed. Didn't know I would get a glass. Nice!

33. NCMonte

Whether or not they still do it, they were still announcing it that way at the last release I helped hand out bands for. I would hate to rely on that, and then the WW staff decides to enforce.

34. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Meyvn (1,061) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

Several barrels filled with Angel of Darkness are resting nicely!

35. NCMonte

Did you swipe them? Are you willing to share? Angel of Darkness... mmmmmmm.

36. ILMbrew

ILMbrew Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2013 North Carolina

What is the Funkatorium like during these releases? Going up to Asheville with the family next weekend and Wicked Weed is an obvious stop but we are not interested in the bottle release. It is worth even trying to get into the Funkatorium Saturday afternoon?

37. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Disciple (311) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

AoD release was insane. Missed the red angel release last year so I do not know. Golden and White however were slightly chill.

38. c64person

Trader

Red Angel was fairly chill last year, if you are just trying to get draft and it last into the afternoon it shouldn't be much busier than it normally is on a Saturday (which is fairly steady).

AoD was crazy because of the double release and having all of the Angel's on tap.

39. ILMbrew

ILMbrew Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2013 North Carolina

Thanks for the help! We'll check it out and see how it looks. Would love to slide in there for a pint.

40. treznor

treznor Zealot (559) Dec 20, 2006 North Carolina
    Trader

Yeah, I think Angel of Darkness was crazy because of everything else going on. During the other Angels, it was a bit crazy at the time the release started and maybe an hour after, but other than that it was pretty chill. AoD was definitely different because of the multiple releases and all of them being on tap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.