Wig & Pen, any info appreciated

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by perthbelgianbeer, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perthbelgianbeer

perthbelgianbeer Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2011 Australia

Feel free to ignore this if you dislike 'please help me out' threads :slight_smile:

I haven't had much like finding any webpage/twitterfeed/facebook page for Wig & Pen

Am thinking of heading over this winter to check it out for a weekend,
    but remember hearing something about the premises/lease being in jeopardy of being sold perhaps?

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of any links,
    and if anyone knows if the wig & pen brewpub is still likely to be open in its current location this winter.

When was the last time anybody went there?

cheers
    andrew

2. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Champion (893) Dec 29, 2006 Australia
    Beer Trader

I was there last winter when the Imperial Stout was on. Lachlan (the owner) was serving us, but any info he gave us from back then is probably irrelevant given how long ago it was.

The website was very old and has since been suspended. They are on Twitter, well Richard is @wigbrewer, search on Facebook for Wig & Pen Tavern & Brewery.

I'll hopefully get time to head in there on the Anzac Day long weekend and will see if i can find out more.

3. mulder1010

mulder1010 Meyvn (1,019) Aug 29, 2008 Australia

last thing I heard was that they would be in operation for another year or two. That there was a movement to keep the building up and around.
    They do have a collaboration with Feral coming out soon so that is a good sign of things to come.

4. Lukie

Lukie Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2007 Australia

What is the story behind the Wig & Pen? Why is it so up in the air of the place just shutting down, and why do they have absolutely no presence online?

5. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Champion (893) Dec 29, 2006 Australia
    Beer Trader

The owner wants to sell up for retirement. Also, they have a lease & the building is getting demolished and a new building erected in its place.

They have Facebook & Twitter. The website which was never updated, lapsed...so not really that much different to many beer websites really, is it? I mean how many places have up to date taplists, out of stock updates, news that is up to date etc

CarlisleWineBin likes this.
  6. CarlisleWineBin

CarlisleWineBin Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2008 Australia

Its a tough balancing act. Sit on the computer all day and keep the internet guys happy or run round like a madman and keep the locals happy. Most the time it feels like I can't do either!! One of these days...

Anyhow, really looking forward to trying the Feral / Wig & Pen Collab during GBW!

MrKennedy likes this.
  7. danieelol

danieelol Savant (955) Jun 15, 2010 Australia

best brewpub/beer venue I've been to in Aus

by far

mmm Spiced Ale randalled w/ truffles and vanilla

mmm Smoked (Wild?) Weizen on tap

Anyone else in Aus have the above beers on tap alongside an Imperial Stout, Barleywine, and DIPA?

8. dgilks

dgilks Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2008 Australia

They are still open. The building demolition is on hold as the business accomodation market is down at the moment. Beer is as good as ever. RIS will be on come July. Olde Spoced Ale with Truffles should be around soon too. As Daniel says, it truly is a gem and I can confirm that you should plan to visit a they are still open.

Give me a yell when you are in town and I'll join you for a pint.

9. heygeebee

heygeebee Poo-Bah (1,557) Aug 6, 2010 Australia

yes, most worth a visit... have been there when the temp has been both 14 and 40 outside and it's pretty much the same inside... beers vary from great to good and the decor is cool, tho having said that, Perth has it share of English style places (Moon & Sixpence comes to mind) so that may not be such a drawcard...

enjoy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.