Wild Friendship Blend

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by jamvt, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheesemoose

Cheesemoose Initiate (0) Jul 17, 2009 Florida

Session 1 wrapping up, you guys are gonna love it

AaronF likes this.
  2. mlhyatt

mlhyatt Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 Georgia

Anyone know what time the shuttle comes to the portland harbor hotel for the 5pm session?

3. Cheesemoose

430 I guess. I'm on it and it should be leaving here soon.

4. Davl22

Davl22 Disciple (370) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

A-mazing event. Loved how spread out it was. Top 3...Wild Friendship Blend (Allagash version), Lou Pepe Kriek, Mattina Rossa

ChrisMyhre likes this.
  5. tokimedo

tokimedo Aspirant (249) Feb 28, 2015 California
    Trader

Great event. Really well planned out and Set up well. Just wish we had an extra hour! I found myself drinking cold beers faster than I wanted to when I wanted to let them warm up a bit.

Rochefort10nh, Davl22 and woodfinish like this.
  6. Cheesemoose

Anyone in town wanna drink some beer?

7. MarkF150

MarkF150 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2009 Massachusetts

What a spectacular event. One of the best events I've ever been to.

8. craft_shannie

craft_shannie Devotee (443) Nov 9, 2012 Indiana

GREAT event!! having the various stations spread over the allagash campus really worked out for good traffic flow. faves on the event: fou foune, lou pepe & beat (even if it was young). blown away!

ChrisMyhre likes this.
  9. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (256) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont

Beautifully run, lots of room, brewers in attendance, food ok. A very rewarding experience.

10. ChrisMyhre

ChrisMyhre Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2013 Massachusetts

Great time, loved the format and layout. It was really kind of the anti beer fest. No fear of anything running out, no pressure to overdo it. Congrats to everyone involved for a great event. My favorites were Beautification, Fou, Supplication, St. Gilloise and Mattina Rossa. People don't seem to think highly of Session Brett but I loved it. Finally, I would have guessed that STS Pils would have been a low point, but it's such a great hoppy pils and was actually a nice palate break. So fresh and biscuity.

Mikecap, woodfinish and Rochefort10nh like this.
  11. Davl22

Davl22 Disciple (370) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

Also...... those freakin' dumplings were on another level...my buddy and I wished we went back for seconds.

12. RedEcho

RedEcho Initiate (77) Oct 23, 2012 Massachusetts

Was a superbly run event; a tip of my hat to everyone involved. Great chance to try some great beers.

Also, duck sausage? Great stuff!

ChrisMyhre and NickDrista like this.
  13. Rochefort10nh

Rochefort10nh Savant (903) Sep 30, 2005 New Hampshire
    Trader

Absolutely blown away by yesterday's event! What a great set-up. Now If I could have had a second pour of Lou Pepe, It would have been perfection:wink:!

14. tokimedo

Trader

went back for seconds, thirds, and fourths. judge me! haha

ChrisMyhre likes this.
  15. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

There was one person at the Lou Pepe table periodically very loose with the pours and happily not stamping. I had a few pours. There was a ton of it.

Unreal event. So laid back, spread out perfectly. No need to fret about getting beers. It was the best beer related event ive ever attended. My favorites of the night were Lou Pepe, resurgam, and fou. Beat was not ready yet but still delicious. The friendship blends were awesome. I preferred the cantillon version but that was probably more a function of having a bit more age on it. They were both awesome. Allagash killed this one.

#175 Sweatshirt, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
  16. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2009 Vermont
    Deactivated

I will, I got none, thanks dude!

17. jomobono

jomobono Aspirant (247) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts

Making sure the lobster rolls fro Eventide get a mention. Sorry Session 2!

Those 3 hours went by fast, so many great people to talk with.

dwmetsfan13 and ChrisMyhre like this.
  18. zman_

zman_ Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2015 Massachusetts

They ran out right in front of me. Glad to hear some people had 4...

youbrewidrink likes this.
  19. ChrisMyhre

ChrisMyhre Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2013 Massachusetts

After hearing how great they were we looked everywhere for them.

20. youbrewidrink

Deactivated

Ok, I'll be that guy.

I thought the event was one of the best that I have ever attended. Of course the beers were phenomenal, venue was perfect and Allagash's staff could not have been more helpful. The lack of food is my only complaint, I did not get any dumplings, lobster rolls or raviloi and most of the vendors were apologetic but came right out and said there were many people making numerous return visits for food.

This by no means is a bad reflection on Allagash, just disappointing that some people just do not care about anyone other than themselves.

Fortunately the great City of Portland has great resturaunts, so we did not go to bed with empty bellies.

mlhyatt, woodfinish and owend like this.
  21. Bizoneill

Bizoneill Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2012 Connecticut

Feel the same way... Seemed like vendors ran out of food half way in to session 2. I had the pork buns and the mussels but was looking forward to the lobster rolls and left hungry. The beer was amazing and the waits if any were minimal. It wasn't crowded at all and you could roam freely throughout the brewery. It was quite an event! We really enjoyed our time.

22. NickDrista

NickDrista Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2013 Massachusetts

wow they had lobster rolls?!?!?!?! Man we didnt get any either!

woodfinish likes this.
  23. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer Champion (837) May 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

I too missed out on the dumplings and lobster roll. I did get a ravioli though. I don't necessarily think it was people not caring about others, but I don't recall any signs asking for only 1 trip though each food line.

24. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (599) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Was food included in the ticket price or was it an extra cost?

25. youbrewidrink

Deactivated

Included in cost

26. EnronCFO

Given the cost of the ticket, particularly for those that traded in the secondary market, that really sucks to not have food. But I suppose the beer list more than made up for it

27. woodfinish

woodfinish Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2005 Massachusetts

On food: I'll admit to having two dumplings in the evening session (though my co-ticket holder skipped hers). I apparently missed out on these legendary lobster rolls, so that's karma.

I can understand criticism of those being gluttonous, but it was really up to Allagash to coordinate better between attendees and vendors: If they told vendors to shoot for 350 servings, they should have made it clear to us that the plated dishes were one/person. I think people would have been at least a little more cognizant of the supply and acted accordingly, even if it wasn't enforced.

The food was terrific and a great advertisement for Portland cuisine. My friends and I hit up Bao Bao later that night to satisfy our continued cravings.

Kind of unfortunate that one of the best things about the beer side of the event, namely that you didn't have to worry about anything running out, got turned around when it came to food. I know HF has had similar problems even with their paid food at past festivals; beer drinking works up an appetite!

Given how well every other aspect of the event worked, I'm sure Allagash will learn from this the next time they put together something similar.

28. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

My wife and I had one dumpling a piece. They were awesome. By the time we got back around the food was basically gone. A bit disappointing but we weren't there for the food. There were some cheese scraps left at the enterance so we had a bit of what was there. Went to the great lost bear afterwards and met a few people who were also pretty much shut out of eating at the event as well. I'm sure it's just a stiff learning curve putting on an event like this. I couldn't have been more satisfied food or not.

ChrisMyhre likes this.
  29. iong516

iong516 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2013 Pennsylvania

I don't recall ravioli, pork buns, or dumplings, so perhaps different sessions got different food? Flawless event imo, but maybe a stamp system could have been used to make others happier. Food stamps would have detracted from my experience. Hope the LPK lasted through session 2. I reminded a few of the pourers to stamp my ticket and imagine quite a few people got multiple pours of Fou and LPK.

ChrisMyhre likes this.
  30. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (256) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont

I socialized with a member of local food media after, and we compared notes on food from both sessions. There were different vendors for each session according to our respective maps. And the offerings were quite a bit nicer for session one. Never got a single dumpling at session 2, but there were plenty of cupcakes - lol! We ate lunch at my fave foodtruck, CN Shwarma parked at Rising Tide beforehand for insurance - glad we did.

31. tmbgnicu

tmbgnicu Zealot (509) Mar 15, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Everything about this event will be what I measure others against. Perfectly planned, perfectly laid out and a perfect time. Yes, food was a bit of an issue, though I hung near the dumpling table a while and got about 3 of them. Had multiple pours of several beers, my wife's pour of LPK, went out for a nice dinner at our hotel afterwards, and then ended up doing a very small share in the lobby of the Hyatt in downtown Portland. Brought a shitload of beer home and got home in time to take my wife(who loved the event as well)and kids out for dinner to celebrate a late Mother's Day. Weekends don't really get any better than that.

Mikecap, Cheesemoose and Sweatshirt like this.
  32. Mikecap

Mikecap Champion (824) May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

Amazing event - every beer was great, and I was so glad RR brought a perfectly executed Pils to reset the palate. I also love the fact that there are 3 solid breweries right across the street from Allagash, and Oxbow downtown blew me away (made it twice over the weekend).

My only complaint is the couple years of life I lost drank and ate away in Portland.

33. WBruder

WBruder Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2014 Virginia

Let's make it clear that there were different food vendors for both sessions. Lobster rolls were from Even Tide for the first session, pork buns (dumplings) were from Bon Bon for the second session. I attended the second session, immediately hit the 4 year old Cantillon lambic and the cheese/charcuterie station and enjoyed that for quite some time. The pork buns from Bon Bon ran out with about 30-40 mins left in the event so there was plenty of time to get everything unless you saved the last four or so beers for the end. Rob Tod didn't get a pork bun if that makes anyone feel any better. Overall, the best event I have ever been to.

ChrisMyhre likes this.
  34. Janeinma

Janeinma Devotee (438) May 24, 2009 Massachusetts

We went to the second session and went from Allagash in the back to Lou Pepe in the front. When we got to where the vendor in the main brewery area should have been it was totally cleared out and I heard that happened before 7pm. So no there was not time to get everything. This is the first I was hearing of cupcakes from the second session.The vendors for the second session totally blew it while from everything I heard the vendors in the first session had masses of great food. Certain Portland vendors owe people an apology.
    Allagash gave the same instructions to each vendor so it wasn't Allagash's fault. As to the beer it was sublime, I wish I had more time to drink and appreciate each one but while the numbers of beer seemed minimal on paper I felt the number to be perfect in reality.
    Awesome if hungry night.

35. tokimedo

Trader

laughing over here at people getting upset over me getting extra helpings of the pork bun. like i said, judge me, but it was the best thing there and yeah, i waited until 7:30 to go back for more.

36. RKing44

RKing44 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2012 Massachusetts

Laughing over here cause you keep bringing it up. It's cool you did wait though! Pretty admirable,

37. WBruder

WBruder Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2014 Virginia

Had a friend in the first session that didn't get a lobster roll. Womp. Let's focus on the fact that we had 13 world class beers in one of the best breweries on the east coast. Amazing event. Period.

Ken_P, tokimedo and MarkF150 like this.
  38. F2brewers

F2brewers Champion (820) Mar 12, 2005 Massachusetts
    Fest Crew Society Trader

@brewinsue and i thought it was a fantastic event. We did the first session and with the exception of *very* minor lines at Allagash (2 min?) and RR Beatification (though you did your best @Heater) it was all smooth sailing.

The food was awesome (lobster sausage or duck sausage (Thirsty Pig), smoked salmon hash browns, lobster rolls and duck fritters (Eventide), or meat/cheese/vegetable charcuterie (tomatoes and grapes were awesome) and the chili (Rosemount) was great.

The beer was fantastic (those of you hating on STS pils were mistaken) and Jean, Rob and Vinny (and Natalie) were great and very accessible.

Jean mentioned that the same barrel of 4 year unblended lambic went into both batches of the friendship blend, but different batches (he couldn't speak to the details) went into the RR and Allagash portions. That beer was divine.

My only real concern was (as others mentioned) the swirling/dreg dumping of the Allagash WFB. The pourers (caterers...Maine law doesn't let brewers pour their own beer) claimed "the brewer" told them to do so, but we ran into Rob Todd and Jason Perkins at Liquid Riot later and they apologized , saying it was not their intent. My wife's pour was borderline ropey, but I was relatively lucky.

Still, all in all, a magnificent event. Cheers to all involved...and let us know if you want ideas on how to get people in the door faster... :wink:

ChrisMyhre likes this.
  39. EnronCFO

What's a ropey pour?

40. tokimedo

Trader

Perfect example. My friend got the pour on the left, while i got the pour on the right.

Was a bummer that I flew across country to get the bottom of an ICE cold swirled bottle, but was having a great time and was super grateful to even be there in the first place, so i wasnt complaining.

[​IMG]

AMEN.

#200 tokimedo, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015
    Davl22 and F2brewers like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.