Will we see Founders CBS bottled again?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MusicBeer_1961, Dec 5, 2021.

1. MusicBeer_1961

MusicBeer_1961 Initiate (141) Feb 23, 2014 Nebraska

I’m sitting here sipping on a 2019 Founders CBS..it has aged wonderfully. A perfect marriage of coffee, chocolate and maple syrup bourbon barrel. It’s still drinking fantastic after 2 plus years of cellaring. I still have 1/2 a case left of the 2019..

I’m curious, as we’re heading into 2022, will we ever see CBS bottled again? My thought has been after 4 years, Founders might bring it back (so possibly 2023)..

it’s not the “whale” it used to be after 3 consecutive years (2017 thru 2019) of releases..but- I still love this beer.

What say you?

2. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,359) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Love CBS and have been impressed in the pass with how it’s aged.

I would bet my house that it will be back, not exactly sure when but it will be.

BigIronH, Gemini6, Whyteboar and 7 others like this.
  3. thebeeremptor

thebeeremptor Disciple (344) Aug 12, 2018 California
    Society Trader

I fucking hope so. It's my favorite of their BA beers. I still have one of a four pack of 2019 in my fridge; I tried one some months back and it's held up exceptionally well, same as your experience.

For the time being though, it doesn't look like it's going to happen. There was a thread (which I wasn't able to find easily; sorry I tried) not that long ago about people seeing 2019 bottles popping up in their local shops. I heard from my rep you won't see this beer for quite some time; "if ever" was the subtext but seeing how sought after it is, I'm sure it will make a return sometime in our lifetimes. I do remember one person replying that CBS was shelved for the time being because Founders couldn't source the barrels they used for it and that would make a lot of sense.

BigIronH, budsNpils, beergoot and 8 others like this.
  4. micada

micada Meyvn (1,342) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

I think the hiatus is good, whether it be BLIS barrel issues or rebuilding some mystique to the brew. Fresh seems best, but the 2017 and 2019 I had recently held up well, other than a drop-off in the “brightness” of the bourbon and maple, IMO.

BigIronH, budsNpils, beergoot and 9 others like this.
  5. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,835) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

When CBS went on a hiatus for 7-8(?) years and finally returned in 2017, the literal thirst for CBS made people line up at Founders that 2017 release. By 2019, it was a shelf turd. CBS needs another hiatus. It will be back.

6. beer_beer

beer_beer Defender (655) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

7. MusicBeer_1961

MusicBeer_1961 Initiate (141) Feb 23, 2014 Nebraska

Thanks for the replies. I’m a big fan of this beer and KBS..and it’s great to have KBS readily available year round..and this does not diminish the beer for me at all. With CBS I’ll agree- “absence will make the heart grow fonder”. It was last brewed by Founders in 2011 and did not appear again until the 2017 release. I’m feeling the same way now- there are several places in my city (Omaha) that are selling CBS bottles- mostly 2018 vintage. But I’d think by 2023 or maybe 2024, it’d be great to have fresh CBS available again. We’ll see how it plays out.

8. BFCarr

BFCarr Meyvn (1,487) Feb 13, 2012 New Jersey
    Society Trader

CBS is one of those beers that just makes you feel good that craft beer exists. Just my opinion. I hope it's available in bottles again.

9. spersichilli

spersichilli Aspirant (293) Apr 26, 2018 California
    Trader

the next time you go to your local store for about the next 2-3 years. Shit sits forever now

BigIronH, Bshaw22, montman and 2 others like this.
  10. rolltide8425

rolltide8425 Meyvn (1,319) Feb 18, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Still have a 4-pack or so and a large bottle of 2019 left. Had one recently and it has held up very well.

11. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,613) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I still have a pack or two left, stocked up. It will be back, though have to wonder if it will be bottled or canned. And now that the bad horsey threw the Mountie, what's next to go? Will animal activists go after the leather saddle? Might they even say that the horse is being exploited? The next CBS label may just show the maple forest. :wink:

dcotom, Bshaw22, Whyteboar and 6 others like this.
  12. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (2,317) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Those poor trees. :anguished:

13. Argail

Argail Devotee (472) Dec 19, 2019 Louisiana

Maple tree - bleeds, we are just vampires :grimacing:
    I know couple places where you can buy 2018 bombers 2019 four packs

#13 Argail, Dec 6, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  14. BigIronH

BigIronH Poo-Bah (1,606) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

I think it’s all but certain that eventually you will see CBS produced again. Is there any other cornerstone you can think of that has meant more to their success and notoriety?

15. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (356) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Did the sweetness mellow out? That beer was too sweet for my tastes. I still see bottles occasionally at shops, probably due to price gouging of the bombers.

16. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,109) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Arguably kbs, but I definitely hear you. I definitely remember one of my regular spots when I was first getting into beer deep back in 2011 where the bartenders would apl whisper about how the owner had a keg of CBS stashed away. It was quite the mysterious beast

17. jonphisher

jonphisher Meyvn (1,387) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I certainly hope so, I think it I one of my favorite maple beers. It’s so well balanced and the maple is present in the perfect amount.

I hope a lot of you are right and we do see a return. I would guess we would have to as well. When, who knows…

Rug, Whyteboar and MusicBeer_1961 like this.
  18. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Meyvn (1,310) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Society Trader

Couple things-
    I suspect (not know) that Founders and Blis failed to reach an agreement on price as I see multiple breweries using Blis barrels now for aging. He may have decided to take the paychecks while he could.
    That said, CBS I am optimistic will be back as others have pointed out that it’s just one of those beers.
    As to the mounty not being on the horse, that’s Canada’s doing. Didn’t want their esteemed and proper Mounties on a beer. Wouldn’t be the right image sort of thing.
    (Now the child on Breakfast Stout was an interesting lawsuit.)

officerbill, BigIronH, Rug and 4 others like this.
  19. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Meyvn (1,310) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Society Trader

BTW, if any of you really want a fix, just let me know. I stocked up a bit.
    Cheers all!

20. bbtkd

Society Trader

No, thank god. Sweetness is a big part of the intended flavor profile. I like the increased sweetness as the coffee fades. I age it at least six months before having one.

#20 bbtkd, Dec 6, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    BigIronH and Rug like this.
  21. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,461) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

CBS and Better Half I think I have them about equally as awesome. Both should be an annual release IMO, even if in smaller volume/more scarcity. Backwoods could be scaled back to annual release as well. All of those and many other Founders BA beers are excellent IMO.

BigIronH, Argail, Phoodcritic and 3 others like this.
  22. Giantspace

Giantspace Savant (982) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Question about Founders

Has Founders made any progress in the way they do business with their co workers? I have not had a Founders beer since the lawsuit a few years back. I know it was settled but before I wade back in I want to know they are making better decisions.

Thanks and
    Enjoy

23. bbtkd

Society Trader

Yup, love Better Half too, good use of maple barrels. Frootwood not so much.

24. Rug

Rug Poo-Bah (1,992) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Just had Frootwood. It was pretty weird but not bad. The aroma was super hot though, like a dollar store Utopias

25. BigIronH

Society Trader

Take your time. Leaves more ‘19 CBS and other excellent beer on the shelves for me.
    Cheers.

26. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (356) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Good to know, thanks!

BigIronH and bbtkd like this.
  27. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,365) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

After waiting something like 8 years to try CBS, I couldn’t have been more disappointed by it. There is too much good competition out there to notice whether this beer is absent from the market. I bought my 4 pack heavily discounted at a Target. That really should tell you all you need to know about that beer.

BigIronH, spersichilli and GuyFawkes like this.
  28. BigIronH

Society Trader

CBS defines itself in beer the same way Two Hearted does in my opinion. Of course there’s great competition now but so many of these beers have used their predecessors as inspiration and/or downright attempted to clone them that for me personally, it’s hard to even make the comparison. Cheers.

29. joerooster2

joerooster2 Initiate (45) Aug 18, 2020 District of Columbia

It still sitting on shelves, no need for Founders to brew more.

30. teal

teal Initiate (82) May 3, 2012 Wisconsin

I still have a big bottle from the 2017 release. Holding onto it until my son gets home from the Army. Then I'll give it a go.

Will determine then if I hope or not that they re-release it.

31. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,615) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Given the amount of old CBS product sitting on beer retailer shelves it sure appears that Founders is experiencing the same issue that Goose Island is having with BCBS – people are simply not buying these beers as they apparently did in the past. I suppose each beer consumer may have differing ideas here but I can personally relate that I don’t buy either Founders CBS and Goose Island BCBS since they are priced too high for me.

I do purchase other barrel aged Imperial Stouts. One example is that just yesterday I purchased a four-pack/16 ounce cans of Brooklyn Black Ops which was priced at less than 15 bucks for a total of 64 ounces of beer.

I suspect that other craft beer consumers are making choices similar to me here.

Cheers!

32. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,365) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Good point. I would suspect when they do spin up CBS again, to generate more interest we’ll see a few CBS variants as well similar to what they have been doing with KBS offshoots.

33. JackHorzempa

Society

It will be interesting to see if Founders decides to go this route.

I personally do not even purchase bottles of the 'regular' BCBS due to the high price and the variants are priced even higher. But because these variants are produced at low volumes perhaps there is a 'whale factor' here?

Cheers!

34. JackHorzempa

Society

@HouseofWortship, for completeness I should relate that I will on occasion drink a draft glass of a BCBS beer if I see it on tap. This past weekend I had a small draft glass of Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Special #4 Stout 2020. It was a tasty beer.

Cheers!

35. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,801) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

No clue if it's like this elsewhere, but that beer sits on shelves everywhere out here. It launched at around 50% higher than the cost of similar other options. Bottles continue to gather dust even though stores are borderline giving it away now. The local reaction has mostly been "I wanted to try it. It was okay, but I have no reason to ever buy it again." That's basically my take, too. It's okay. No clue if the original ultra-RAR version was different or if tastes have changed, but it isn't something I need more of.

BigIronH, Bitterbill and PapaGoose03 like this.
  36. JackHorzempa

Society

So, what are the prices for a four-pack of Founders CBS now in your area?

My local Giant supermarket has old four-packs (12 ounce bottles) and the price is $24.99.

Cheers!

BigIronH and Whyteboar like this.
  37. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (4,426) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

If so, hopefully in 12 ounce 4 packs again.

38. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,801) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Out here the supermarkets aren't typically known for having a great beer selection. It’s only been legal for them to carry beer over 3.2% for a few years and most only carry flagship-style items. At the smaller beer-specialty liquor stores, I’ve seen 4-packs going for $12. At least that’s the last I paid attention. They could be cheaper, now. When CBS was in the large bottles, those started at $32 and went all the way down to $5. I’m pretty sure at least 1-2 stores still have them.

39. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,778) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

All Day IPA for sure.

Bitterbill, Jaycase, Rug and 2 others like this.
  40. JackHorzempa

Society

Half the price as compared to my local beer retailers.

Cheers!

BigIronH and Whyteboar like this.