Will you return to taprooms, bars, restaurants, and beer gardens or wait?

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Todd, May 13, 2020.

?

Will you return or wait?

This poll will close on Aug 11, 2020 at 3:08 PM.
  1. Return

2. Wait

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,967) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

As restrictions begin to loosen up for some areas, will you return to businesses that decide to open under reduced capacity and other social distancing guidelines? Or will you wait until things are back to whatever the new "normal" looks like?

2. DVMin98

DVMin98 Poo-Bah (3,247) Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

My fat ass will be on a bar stool at the local watering hole ASAP. I will just be on the end by myself

Wiffler27, eklos, hottenot and 46 others like this.
  3. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,907) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

I'll be the first one in line outside the door at opening.

eklos, berimbau, hottenot and 35 others like this.
  4. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,858) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

I will continue to pick up to go options from my local breweries and taprooms/bottle shops but will be a bit more cautious about visiting places since I have an at-risk family member that I have been doing all of the shopping/delivering of groceries as well as some meals.

5. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (451) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Here in MA I think I'll feel pretty comfortable following the timeline that the state lays out since I have reasonable confidence they'll be basing their decisions on sound science and policy.

If I lived in a state where politics and whackadoos on the steps on the Governor's mansion were driving the decisions I'd feel very differently.

6. traction

traction Zealot (536) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

I went to one of the bars that is already open the other day just to check out what it would look like with social distancing. I only got a 5oz pour and left. At the bar I went to all the stools and tables were six feet apart and you are required to wear a mask to enter. Have you ever tried to drink a beer while wearing a mask?

After that fiasco I am going to wait and see how this plays out.

7. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,271) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Since the poll didn't ask about the timing of returning or waiting... I picked "wait."
    Personally, just don't trust others quite yet to be doing the right things in public.
    I live in a notable libertarian bastion, where masks are mostly scorned, and that does give me pause.
    So I'll be giving it another 2-3 weeks minimum to see what happens and HOW businesses (or IF) set up their establishments. THEN I'm in. If it's good. :wink:

8. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,497) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Great question, Todd. I love you.

As for me, I'm content with curbside pick-up options, as well as home delivery. I'm going to wait things out until more information becomes available. Too many unknowns.

Cheers!

9. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,271) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

I might have to put in a "blow-hole" on my mask to put my crazy straw for my pint. :wink:

10. forum8417

forum8417 Initiate (181) Feb 1, 2011 New Jersey
    Trader

Yes.

I have no issue with being around people. The whole 6 feet/mask wearing is overkill. The CDC literally just came out with a report saying wearing a mask does nothing to prevent spread. DR. Fauci said in late March that masks were not needed. The second a local brewery opens their tap room ill be there

Im scared of what the "new norm" is. But i know if im forced to wear a muzzle AKA a mask i wont go anywhere

11. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Defender (690) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

I'll be respectfully cautious upon return, but feel comfortable heading in shortly after reopening.

12. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Defender (690) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Couldn't have been said any better!

gibsonj7, SurlyFan, Psyd2 and 14 others like this.
  13. rbuchli

rbuchli Disciple (362) Dec 5, 2009 Missouri
    Society

Will wait until we at least have a tried and successful way to TREAT the virus...would be nice to have the vaccine now but at least need viable treatment option that works consistently.

14. Effinwill

Effinwill Initiate (81) Dec 2, 2016 California

I'm pretty sure economics is also science - social science - but definitely not astrology. Science also says alcohol is bad for you....

hottenot, gibsonj7, Psyd2 and 5 others like this.
  15. Hornebill

Hornebill Initiate (52) Apr 20, 2014 Massachusetts

I'm with you....identical situation and concerns.

rpm1956, gibsonj7, woemad and 12 others like this.
  16. digitalflood

digitalflood Zealot (515) Feb 4, 2011 New York

I'll state the obvious here probably, but if outdoor beer gardens were already a thing in the US they are about to far more common and I don't think that's a bad thing even if this wasn't the way I wanted to see that happen.

17. mickyge

mickyge Meyvn (1,107) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Until they get a vaccine or a handle on it, I can’t see myself going out to eat or hanging in a crowded bar for quite some time.

18. hartheim

hartheim Initiate (57) Feb 23, 2013 New Jersey

Hard to drink beer with a mask.

19. storm72

storm72 Initiate (92) Jul 4, 2010 Illinois

As much as I miss trivia night at my local brewery, I'm in no hurry to go back until I have some sense that things have stabilized at some sort of "new normal". I'll reassess the situation when I feel things are at that point. Until then, I'm happy to keep homebrewing and supplement with curbside pickups and the occasional home delivery.

VaporTrails, DISKORD, woemad and 15 others like this.
  20. TennesseeOrdie

TennesseeOrdie Initiate (30) Jul 5, 2017 Tennessee

I refuse to grant assent to illegal restrictions. Carry out until a taproom/bar in Knoxville is completely open or an owner decides to carry out the duty to resist illegal laws.

21. Martin2348

Martin2348 Initiate (15) Aug 2, 2019 New Mexico

Hell no. Buy my beer and enjoy the safely of my house.

DISKORD, DJturnstile, mnavas and 14 others like this.
  22. traction

traction Zealot (536) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

The CDC never said that wearing masks doesn't help prevent spread. They said that it doesn't protect the wearer from catching COVID (which is questionable at best; why do you think doctors need masks when they are dealing with COVID patients?) but they do help prevent asymptomatic carriers from spreading the disease. There are also multiple papers contradicting the CDC saying masks do provide at least some protection to the person wearing it. You are basing your whole argument on old data when data changes. Fauci and the CDC both recommend you wear a mask.

It is irresponsible not to wear a mask due to the asymptotic carriers. Even if you don't care about your own health you could get countless other people sick. Is it any surprise that the countries who have done best handling COVID masked their populations almost immediately?

Here is a post I made on a different forum back in March I think that is totally relevant here

That is exactly the problem here. You are going off the initial guidelines and not the current guidelines now that we know more about SARS-CoV-2 and how it spread.

#22 traction, May 13, 2020
    Last edited: May 13, 2020
    ssam, ReDave, JoKo and 90 others like this.
  23. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,324) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

I’ve been introverted and isolated for years anyways. I’m ok staying home. I do miss the diner. I do miss the local dive. But not worth it in my personal situation.

mmmbeerNY, woemad, nodder and 24 others like this.
  24. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,930) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Society

I have every intention of waiting out the initial 6 week window when taprooms reopen to see how the numbers play out, see how cases trend, and then re-assess.

25. DrOfGolf

DrOfGolf Initiate (99) Jun 11, 2019 Florida

Just like NORM from "Cheers". :beer: :beer:

ShaneDD, AZBeerMan, Psyd2 and 6 others like this.
  26. jpbolton

jpbolton Initiate (102) Nov 24, 2015 Iowa
    Trader

I don't expect to be at a bar, taproom, or restaurant for at least a year. I'm waiting for either high levels of testing and contact tracing or a vaccine.

DISKORD, woemad, monkist and 21 others like this.
  27. Greybeard

Greybeard Initiate (78) Sep 13, 2012 North Carolina

I am in a risk category and one of my close family members is in a very high risk category so, no, I will be waiting. Likely until there is a vaccine or I otherwise develop some immunity. It is risk vs. reward for me. Way too much risk, barely any reward.

Jaycase, mmmbeerNY, rpm1956 and 18 others like this.
  28. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,753) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

It’s pretty hard to drink beer wearing a mask, and I never went out much to begin with. Sadly as long as some people are unwilling to take this situation seriously, it’s just going to prolong it for the rest of us. I’ve also still got more than 200 bottles in the cellar to work through.

ssam, Jaycase, VaporTrails and 20 others like this.
  29. billandsuz

billandsuz Devotee (436) Sep 1, 2004 New York

If this question was asked pre-Covid as a hypothetical, I would have been the first to say that I would get right back to my local.

But now that this is not hypothetical I'm not so sure.

1. I don't miss bar life as much as I assumed I would.
    2. I don't mind stocking the beer fridge and kegerator with beer.
    3. There is no good way, in my minds eye, to keep a bar as sanitary as required, much less keep people far enough apart

I just don't know what the Bar of 2021 looks like. I just don't know. It sounds crazy to even have to say it, but I don't want to get sick or die or get my friends sick because I had to drink beer at my favorite bar.

Cheers

ReDave, Ollie63, Jaycase and 37 others like this.
  30. HattedClassic

HattedClassic Poo-Bah (2,709) Nov 23, 2009 Virginia
    Society

I'll continue to do carry out and shipping until they're no longer available but even then I'm not going out anywhere that isn't essential to my personal or financial well-being until August at least . Opening up without any plan from the government for contact tracing or mass testing is foolish and deadly.

VaporTrails, DISKORD, woemad and 22 others like this.
  31. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,551) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

I don’t really miss it because I’m a bit of a cheapskate combined with an introvert. Having great beers at home for the price of a sixer at the bar or pub is a no-brainer.

#StayAtHome

PS: Of course there are still concerns because my close family are past 70 year old. I’m more worried infecting them than me, really.

32. MournImmortal

MournImmortal Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2020

I've decided I'm fine with not being around people, other than my wife and kids. My wife has health problems, and I don't want to be the one to end up killing her because I went to a bar. I've also decided I really like saving money by getting my beer at a store and drinking at home. I also look badass with a bandanna covering my face, so I'll probably keep wearing it to the store as long as cops don't give me trouble for it.

ssam, Jaycase, flat_lander and 30 others like this.
  33. Migrios

Migrios Initiate (56) Apr 18, 2016 New York
    Trader

I have plenty of great beer at home, and I can cook. I’ll be home. Those who are eager to go out can serve as test subjects for those of us who would rather be safe at home

34. gwalborn

gwalborn Initiate (91) Jul 4, 2006 Ohio

Let's see:

1) The coronavirus is as contagious as it ever was
    2) There is no effective treatment
    3) There is no vaccine

In other words, NOTHING HAS CHANGED from February EXCEPT for voluntary social distancing. I will wait for 4 weeks to see if cases start to explode after the partial reopening (which I expect will happen). Going to a bar and sitting six feet away from everyone does not appeal to me. I might as well drink at home - it's safer and cheaper.

Ollie63, Jaycase, mmmbeerNY and 52 others like this.
  35. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Devotee (419) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Society Trader

I will find a way to support my local microbrewery, weather it be 4 packs of pint cans to go (current method) or sitting at a table, ordering food and beverage as soon as it is possible. I believe we must respect this virus, but I refuse to be afraid of it.

36. Edbene1

Edbene1 Initiate (62) Mar 22, 2014 Massachusetts

Definitely will return, knowing those that have done everything possible to keep patrons and workers safe as can be. BUT, I wouldn't wait an inordinate amount of time just to get into the space before and I would not do it now. This is my impatience, not the situation.

37. Ajde56

Ajde56 Initiate (130) Jun 26, 2019 British Columbia (Canada)
    Society

I’ll be there first say to support local businesses. I’m not one for arms around strangers either, and I’m certainly not worried about Covid.

38. Hoppyhead607

Hoppyhead607 Initiate (22) Jan 23, 2020 New York
    Trader

It really depends on the situation. Will I show up on a release day? Probably not. Will I go for a couple pints on a random week night? Sure. My girlfriend is immuno compromised and I work at a hospital, so I’m not looking to bring anything into the brewery or into my home.

39. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (5,825) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

I'm old. I am supporting my local craft breweries by enjoying frequent deliveries of crowlers to my door. I will continue to do so.

40. frenchman

frenchman Initiate (94) Jun 25, 2008 Florida

And I always enjoy a few 12 packs or Sierra Torpedo in my garden, next to our swim pool, socializing with my gorgeous MD wife and our Sheep Dog. Everyone to their own. My MD wife tells you STAY HOME for another MONTH. Peace.

storm72, DISKORD, woemad and 20 others like this.