Will you return to taprooms, bars, restaurants, and beer gardens or wait?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, May 13, 2020.

?

Will you return or wait?

Poll closed Aug 11, 2020.
  1. Return

795 vote(s)
    43.0%
  2. Wait

1,053 vote(s)
    57.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lwhcchh

lwhcchh Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2010 Oklahoma

You’re looking at old information. The CDC recommends wearing a mask.

Jaycase, julie13, DISKORD and 2 others like this.
  2. hoptheology

hoptheology Grand Pooh-Bah (5,343) May 12, 2014 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm ready when they are.

bigalspangler likes this.
  3. Orca

Orca Grand Pooh-Bah (4,441) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

[/QUOTE]
    I see this argument a lot and the point it misses is that the numbers are relatively low in your area exactly because of the precautions being taken. I have high blood pressure, so I take medication to manage it, which is why when I take my BP it’s usually not bad. Does this make me think I should stop taking the medication? Of course not.

Now don’t get me wrong, if you’re smart and reasonably careful the chances of getting infected are probably reasonably low, and if you are young and have no underlying medical conditions the chances of dying are even lower (especially if you are female). But don’t forget that you could be asymptomatic and unknowingly transmit the virus to other people who are at higher risk. That’s the whole point a lot of people just don’t seem to get. Or refuse to.

4. puck1225

puck1225 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,585) Dec 22, 2013 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Texas allows breweries to do to-go sale all along. I have taken advantage going to different breweries within reasonable driving distance to pick up beer. The breweries have been good sports and I have been able to try many great local beers. Tonight: Brotherwell Brewing (Waco, TX) Act of Faith tripel.

5. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Grand Pooh-Bah (4,397) Oct 13, 2007 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Society

You can bet I'll be at the bar when they're allowed to open! But take note that this opinion is coming from a newly baptized Wisconsinite who's in his mid 30's, doesn't have underlying health conditions, interacts with hundreds of customers at his job, and regularly stays clean.

6. Bigbeerman

Bigbeerman Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2020 New York

I'm still waiting for the Albany troy area to open but when they do I'll be doing the same as you, the only Time I'll be indoors is at a smaller bar that's not crowded and I can maintain my distance

Stay safe my friend

Lfdal54 likes this.
  7. BayPac

BayPac Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2019 California

I love beer, but am not willing to risk dying for a drink. I will wait to see that there is a reduction in the new cases.

Jaycase, DISKORD, Lfdal54 and 4 others like this.
  8. bubseymour

bubseymour Grand Pooh-Bah (4,656) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I’m pretty much done with analyzing statistics and basing decisions of of the data being pitched WHO, CDC, politicians, TV news, podcasts, social media, YouTube....nothing seems trustworthy and reliable. Not sure what the answer is but to drink a good beer and chill.

9. traction

traction Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

Do you interact with hundreds of peoples a day in close quarters? I am glad I can work from home I would quit that job in a second. I feel really bad for people who have to work in places where social distancing isn't possible but they have to go to work to pay the bills. It is basically a choice of risking your life (and yes, it is possible for COVID-19 to kill a health male in his 30s) or paying your rent. Of course I also feel bad for everyone who has lost their job altogether. Damn this is a depressing post

10. NickSMpls

NickSMpls Pooh-Bah (2,692) Nov 11, 2012 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

We have been supporting our local taproom along with a small Thai restaurant whose owner is also local and that the taproom owners know. Every Saturday night for the past three weeks we've been buying a growler of beer and two take-out Thai meals. The taproom lists 100 meals by reservation only on their Facebook page on Friday afternoon and sell out in a couple of hours. Some customers are buying 8 meals at a shot and four to six growlers. The owner says it doesn't replace a steady crowd, but it's a huge help. We fully intend to go back when they are open again. We're in a rural area and the virus is pretty scarce. Can't drink with a damn mask and it's tough to even chat.

Others may have their own opinions and actions, and that's fine with us.

Lfdal54, ChicagoJ and Rocktire like this.
  11. DogbiteWilliams

DogbiteWilliams Devotee (373) Mar 28, 2015 California

I am 70 with a compromised immune system (an unsafe low white blood cell count). I will wait for the vaccine and the two or three weeks thereafter it takes for the immunity to develop.

I am not dying for a beer.

Jaycase, DISKORD, ballardbeer and 7 others like this.
  12. bubseymour

bubseymour Grand Pooh-Bah (4,656) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

How are bar, taproom and restaurants going to survive in the “new normal” where it’s only 20-50% capacity to accommodate the social distancing guidelines? That situation is going to bankrupt must businesses. I think there is a false positive spin going on currently in politics and the media to keep people optimistic and hopeful of things opening back up but my gut check says otherwise. Tougher times economically are still ahead I’m fearing.

ballardbeer, rocdoc1, Lfdal54 and 2 others like this.
  13. MMMMM-Beer

MMMMM-Beer Initiate (0) May 2, 2017 Indiana

It will depend on if my family and friends feel comfortable to do it then I will join in. I doubt I will go by myself, which I did quite often before all this bat virus got around. Also, I will still get my growlers filled of course at every chance! I am just worried how many craft brewers are going to close down as a result of the economic hit - will be a great calamity.

14. Orca

Orca Grand Pooh-Bah (4,441) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

Bub, I think hope is all we have to cling to these days. Hope that we get a vaccine soon. Hope that people who are unemployed get back to work. Hope that our leaders have our best interests at heart. Hope that this situation improves as quickly as possible.

Some people think we can return to normal now—and we all would love that. I refuse to use the phrase “new normal” because that’s not what this is, any more than the Great Depression or World War II were the “new normal.” Those situations, like this one, were just shitty situations we had to get through. I’m grateful that I have a job I can do from home, and I have nothing but empathy for those who don’t.

We get through this by understanding that collectively, we are only as strong as our weakest link. We get through this by making sacrifices now so that tomorrow can be better.

Jaycase, julie13, DISKORD and 12 others like this.
  15. DoubleJ

Pooh-Bah Society

I work in the grocery business, and I often maneuver all around the store, even through packs of customers. Just two weeks ago, we had to start wearing masks and had begun getting our temperature taken before each day of work. Yet I'm not worried about the virus as I am about other causes of death, such as easy access to Wisconsin Belgian Red fueling my alcoholism or crashing my car while driving on an icy road (I'm southern California born and raised, just moved to Wisconsin, had to learn to drive in winter conditions six months ago).

16. traction

traction Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

I did the opposite, I learned to drive in the snow up in Ohio before eventually ending up in Georgia. I miss a lot of things about the Midwest, I even kind of miss snow although I certainly don't miss driving in it. Anyway, i got nothing but respect for you for putting yourself out there every day. You have more balls than I do that is for sure.

17. DoubleJ

Pooh-Bah Society

When you feel comfortable coming back to the bar for a beer, I'll save a seat for you.

traction likes this.
  18. nomisugitai

nomisugitai Zealot (706) Mar 11, 2006 New Jersey

I will wait until the daily death count in my area is under 10. My homebrewing has increased. On my 4th batch now. Will do pick up for my next supplies order.

Lfdal54 likes this.
  19. micada

micada Grand Pooh-Bah (3,326) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I’m probably in the minority, but I refuse to allow a “new normal.” If we’re still gloved and masked in six months, something is seriously wrong with the population’s hardwiring. I know people are sick and dying. That happened with the OG bacteria and viruses too, and will happen with the young blood threats. Immune systems are wonderful things, but they need exposure to learn. I’ll take normal precautions like any other day of my life, but I will not be pushed into fear mongering. Flame me if you must. I’ll be the one without a mask, eating a peanut, drinking my beer, in the dirt, on a bike without a helmet, unbelted in the car....how I survived all these decades is a miracle. Cheers and best wishes for all of us to get through this with our dignity, sanity, and health intact.

20. micada

micada Grand Pooh-Bah (3,326) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Cloth face masks and other non HEPA / non N95 options are just illusions of protection. I suppose it helps if someone is a total dimwit and does things like sneeze on everything with no attempt to cover the spray. Considering the astronomical amount of school taxes I pay, I should never see a dimwit in public.

forum8417, sculls65, ChicagoJ and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.