News William Coors, grandson of Coors founder Adolph Coors, dies at 102

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Keene, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Keene

Keene Editorial Director (827) Sep 11, 2009 Washington
    Staff

2. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Devotee (449) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

102 years and owner of a huge, successful brewery. I'd gladly trade for that. A good life.

3. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,334) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

Well, Coors' cans like all beer (and other food) cans at the time were made of "tin plate" (tin-coated steel, the tin for rust-proofing) but they were "lined" with a plastic or other coating to prevent the beer from contacting the metal container. In Coors' case, their cans were from the American Can Co., which used a product from Union Carbide called "Vinylite", for which the ACC used their trademarked term "Keglined".
    [​IMG]

Depending on which brewery history you believe, Coors initial interest in using an aluminum can because of "taste" concerns was more to do with the ability to sterilize the can so that Coors could avoid pasteurization and use the microfiltering (what they now call by Miller's "Cold Filtered" terminology - below) / sterile fill process.
    And, of course, the aluminum beer can is also lined with a water-based polymer coating.

Also, there's some debate on whether Coors aluminum can (originally only a small 7 oz. can, first filled in January) was the first in the US. Hawaii's Primo, in April 1959 ads, claimed theirs was the first. And Gunther Brewing Co. followed soon after.
    [​IMG]
    Since one can assume Coors' 7-oz'ers hit the shelves (or test market?) soon after being filled, Primo's claim seems to be in error but it does show that several different brewers and can companies were working on the aluminum beer can in the US. (Supposedly some German brewers' aluminum cans were already on the market).

lanedlr, Maestro0708, 5thOhio and 8 others like this.
  4. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Zealot (571) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Trader

Wow I wonder how much he drank.

5. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (359) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Adolph, there's a name you don't see anymore:wink:

5thOhio, beertunes, eppCOS and 3 others like this.
  6. Haybeerman

Haybeerman Poo-Bah (2,316) May 21, 2008 Colorado
    Premium

He tasted beer for quality assurance until just after his hundredth birthday.

LuskusDelph, BayAreaJoe and dcotom like this.
  7. Haybeerman

Haybeerman Poo-Bah (2,316) May 21, 2008 Colorado
    Premium

Probably what he should be fondly remebered for by BAs is his support for and eventually passage of the smal brewers tax exemption.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  8. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (1,986) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

Enough to be able to do this:

9. jesskidden

He was something of a lightweight (compared to the modern beer geek, who considers 5% ABV beers "low alcohol") if one takes this description of a proto-"malt liquor" he developed in the 1940s as fact*.
    [​IMG]

* As noted in the highlighted area above, the author of this book confused ABW and ABV (as well as getting the era of the release of the earliest US "malt liquors" wrong), but if the "double the alcohol" aspect is correct, these guys were breaking out in "drenching sweat" :rolling_eyes: from drinking half a bottle of a ~9% beer.

"Exemption" ? I take it you're referring to 1977's Small Brewers Excise Tax Reduction- at the time, it lowered the $9/bbl. FET to "$7 on first 60,000 barrels for brewer who produces less than 2 million barrels".

Considering the era, that meant there were less than 40 US brewers left which qualified for the relief (although, interestingly enough, 13 "over 2M bbl." US brewers - more than there are today).

Never heard specifically of Coors' support of it, but most sources at the time had the large brewers supporting the long proposed tax break of the small brewers' group, the BAA, including the big brewers' group, the United States Brewers Association, in particular the head of that organization, Henry King. In this King obit, both Pabst and Stroh are other large brewers who also supported the reduction and King is quoted as saying "There were a number of (large) brewers who really went to work on it."

#9 jesskidden, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    lanedlr, 5thOhio, LuskusDelph and 3 others like this.
  10. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (322) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

A beer a day they say

11. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,549) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

Insert snarky comment about his anti-worker politics here.

R.I.P. , ya bastard.

LuskusDelph and jesskidden like this.
  12. jesskidden

Hopefully, it burned his ass to know his Coors Light was coming out of the "MillerCoors" Milwaukee brewery where the local (now part of the UAW) still goes by the name Brewery Workers [Local 9]. The Coors local that was busted in the '70s was Brewery Workers Local 366 (at the time, an indie local directly-affiliated with the AFL-CIO after the merger a few years earlier of most of the old Brewery Workers locals into the Teamsters).

(The other ex-Miller breweries are also organized by the UAW, IBT or IAM).

BJC and LuskusDelph like this.
  13. 5thOhio

5thOhio Devotee (481) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

I expected someone would post a nasty and unnecessary insult like that, but I guess it gave you the opportunity to show us all your righteous politics.

bhatch729 likes this.
  14. rgordon

rgordon Champion (852) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Although I do think that retort was not necessary, I can personally attest to being treated very rude and abruptly at the Golden facility in around 1973. Our offence was having long hair. My friend and I had fun shaming these righteous protectors of the republic. The whole tour group walked out. Still, what a legacy at 102. That's a helluva life!