Windsor Yeast

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by meatballj626j, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meatballj626j

meatballj626j Initiate (0) May 7, 2009 Georgia

I just brewed northern brewer's emma's ale (english brown not sure if north or south) in which I used Danstar Windsor Ale yeast. I am trying to think of other styles to use this yeast with. I had thought of trying to do a 3 gallon enlgish barleywine and pitch directly on the yeast cake, but I wasn't sure of the yeast tolerance. I know this yeast is a medium attentuator and that may not go well with a barleywine. Any other suggestions other than a brown ale?

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,727) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania

I have used Danstar Windsor many, many time to brew my Bitter Ale. I really like the fruity esters that this yeast strain produces. As you mentioned this yeast is indeed a medium attenuator (which I think is a plus for Bitter Ales) so I agree that using it for a Barleywine would not be appropriate.

Below is what Danstar mentions on this yeast’s data sheet:

“The aroma is estery to both palate and nose, and is usually described as a full-bodied, fruity British ale. Does not display malodours when properly handled. Windsor yeast has found great acceptance in producing strong-tasting bitter beer, stout, weizen and hefe weizen.”

I have never used Windsor to brew a stout but I think it might make a good non-dry stout (e.g., an Oatmeal Stout, a Milk Stout, etc.).

Cheers!

3. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2011 California

Ditto.

4. pweis909

pweis909 Meyvn (1,445) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Subscriber

I've used a mix of Windsor and Nottingham (kind of by mistake; it's a long story and not relevant) to make a citra-centennial American IPA. It was very good. I also used it in a blue-ribbon winning brown ale.

5. meatballj626j

Thanks for the help.

6. dgs

dgs Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2005 Pennsylvania

7. meatballj626j

Yea I had thought of that too, but I've been meaning to brew a chocolate stout recipe that I've had for a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More