Winter Hill Brewing (formerly Indignant) opens soon in Somerville

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by huuvola, Mar 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huuvola

huuvola Initiate (117) Oct 29, 2005 Massachusetts

They're aiming for March 22. Hopefully will be a nice addition to that neighborhood.
    http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2016/...-breweries-winter-hill-brewing-co-somerville/

rhino88888888 likes this.
  2. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,942) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

That's actually a nice location for food and drink.

I foresee myself trying some of their beer and then going to Leone's for a slice or 4.

Actually, Leone's first, need a good base. And then there's Olde Magoun's up the road as well...

ChrisMyhre, huuvola and rhino88888888 like this.
  3. rhino88888888

rhino88888888 Initiate (129) Dec 12, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

huuvola likes this.
  4. JonnyJuicebox

JonnyJuicebox Initiate (150) Jun 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

I remember talking to Bert about this a publick house ages ago. Thought he was blowing smoke. Happy to see another brewery in greater Boston. Interesting to see cream ale as a flagship

Jason likes this.
  5. corey0212

corey0212 Devotee (428) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

I worked for Jeff for awhile. He is 100% committed to quality beer, 100% of the time. Boston folks should get psyched about this.

6. TheSmokingChimp

TheSmokingChimp Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2015 Massachusetts

any updates on this? Did they open this week?

7. rhino88888888

Trader

According to their FB page they did not open this week. On March 20, they said "We don't yet have a set date... but soon! We'll have some announcements in the next few days..."

8. pavement714

pavement714 Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2010 Massachusetts

Based on the guy's pedigree I don't have super high expectations. Would like to be pleasantly surprised though.

9. CapeCodBeer

CapeCodBeer Initiate (22) Apr 20, 2004 Massachusetts

Wow pavement 714 what a super crappy thing to say to another human being ...

buking21, JrGtr, ajcuster89 and 6 others like this.
  10. StuffedCabbage

StuffedCabbage Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2012 Massachusetts

I live a half block away, been checking everyday. I can't wait...will give update.

rhino88888888 likes this.
  11. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Initiate (127) Jan 20, 2015 Massachusetts

@CapeCodBeer it's beer advocate, unfortunately it should be expected

12. trevorpost

trevorpost Meyvn (1,392) Aug 3, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Since judging a brewery (and brewer) without ever trying a product is an moral obligation on this site, we must be clear that if you want to be approved of you must (at least) 1. have commercial brewing experience and 2. have experience with a sufficiently 'hip' establishment. Those are the only conceivable paths to the production of worthwhile beer.

That's why I've never bothered with Night Shift and their "no commercial experience" malarkey, or Jack's Abby with their taint of (gasp!) Boston Beer Works. Good choices, right?

13. CapeCodBeer

Doesn't make it right. and doesn't mean people have to sit back and take it.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

There's no advocacy in statements like that.. and for sure silence is the voice of complicity.

Any human that works hard to scrounge up enough money to start their own brewery *at least* deserves the chance to have their beer sampled before people judge them. Jeff is a great brewer and will make great beer... and maybe people on this site will like it. But seriously, why be such a db about it before the guy even has beer in the tanks?

Stuff like this is seriously the stuff that takes the fun out of what we do. People with no vested interest taking pot shots at people who are risking everything to follow their passion. It's sad.

palphen, mschofield, Sheppard and 3 others like this.
  14. CapeCodBeer

sarcasm font in use here right?

15. trevorpost

Society

Most definitely.

CapeCodBeer likes this.
  16. mungbeans

mungbeans Initiate (0) May 27, 2007 Massachusetts

A New England brewery opening with an imperial stout? I must be dreaming.

17. Jason

Jason Founder (8,354) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Society

Its the internet, feeding the discussion can be done in different ways on both sides. We can chose to be overly sensitive by comments we don't agree with and reply with "we'll, that's expected here" or we can take a real look at the comment and see that it really wasn't that bad and were probably based on assumptions from the lack of effort to get for info on the project. Perhaps the beers will be epic and he'll have put his foot in his mouth while being pleasantly surprised?

We could reply with more information, show examples, etc. I am sure @pavement714 and others would appreciate that more. Even if it is laced with sarcasm, thanks @trevopost for that. :wink:

pavement714 likes this.
  18. pavement714

Since the brewer and site owner took time to talk about my comment, I guess I have to chime in.

I'm a consumer. I'm entitled to have an opinion on the products I pay money to consume, especially if I have decent amount of experience in trying the many different products in that category. Whether or not it's worth my time to post a supposedly negative opinion of a beer or brewery is up to me as long as it follows the guidelines of this forum.

I made no personal statements about the brewer, his passion about beer, his family, etc. I did not say the beer was bad, since I've never tried it. I am hoping it will be good and I will definitely be trying it. However, based on my previous experiences with the beer produced at those two breweries over the past few years, my personal expectations are lower compared to other breweries in the area. That's my opinion and I'm allowed to have it as long as it's written in a civil way.

Commenting on the product (beer) or product speculation on a forum dedicated to beer should be allowed without the brewer coming and telling me how egregious my comment was. Otherwise you're censoring civil discourse. I'll leave it at that.

Sheppard, jbertsch, batch19 and 2 others like this.
  19. rhino88888888

Trader

According to their Facebook page, WHBC is open for coffee starting today - 7am-1pm. No beer just yet.

Very excited that they will be bringing a cafe, a patio, coffee and food along with beer to a neglected stretch of Broadway in Somerville!

20. bostonwolf

I don't think I'm overly sensitive to it. I just accept it as part of the package when posting here. The "ignore" feature helps quite a bit in allowing uses to control their experience.

And given the last response, no foot has been placed in mouth quite yet :slight_smile:

21. bostonwolf

This is a private forum. Jason and Todd (the owners) can censor it in any way they wish. That they generally don't speaks well of them and the environment they wish to create here.

You also need to accept that fact that other people (not just you) are allowed to respond to your comments so long as they are written in a civil way. They were, whether you think it egregious or not.

Any right to free speech (which you seem to think you have here) doesn't mean you are immune from the effects your speech has on others and the responses it generates.

buking21 likes this.
  22. chrisfromboston

chrisfromboston Initiate (115) Feb 20, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Soft open was last night, saw a lot of my beer friends made it over. Anyone here?

Don't think they open for real until Friday.

23. pavement714

I said I could say my opinion as long as it fits the rules of the site. In no way did I say others can't have the same privilege.

But I doubt a site like BeerAdvocate would be as popular as it is if any negative review of a beer, or negative discussion of a brewery, was typically interrupted by the brewery coming in and saying "That's a wrong opinion. I don't like that you don't like our beer. You're a jerk."

Not saying it happens a ton here, but if it did -- if anytime you said you disliked a beer you were met with the brewer calling you out, how long would you stick around here? That's all I'm saying.

24. RedEcho

RedEcho Initiate (77) Oct 23, 2012 Massachusetts

If August Busch showed up here and called me a sissy for drinking my bourbon - peach porter, it would at least necessitate a footnote in my autobiography. :slight_smile:

To the topic of the thread, I'm hoping for good things from Winter Hill/Indignant. I'm a little worried Somerville might be reaching a saturation point with Aeronaut & Slumbrew already up and running.

25. mcintire78

mcintire78 Zealot (563) Dec 16, 2006 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

So, anyone have the inside scoop on whether beer will be flowing this weekend? I'd love to stop in and try it out, if so.

26. Skwalk47

Skwalk47 Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2010 Massachusetts

Halfway between my house and the dog park, guess the pooches will have to wait in the car while I grab a taste some time.

By the way, if someone had a dog friendly beer garden/patio/brewery in somerville they would basically be printing money.

jmmandra, Boomblaze and pavement714 like this.
  27. DeanGeorge

DeanGeorge Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2013 Massachusetts

Tell the brewery that your dog is a "Comfort Dog". Comfort dogs are allowed into businesses no matter what. I'm sure that American fresh allows dogs as well.

28. Jbrews

Jbrews Disciple (351) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Can not stand when people use that excuse. I have people in my family I am ashamed of that have a half ass excuse for a "comfort dog" More so just so the prissy one can take the yippie cat/dog with her wherever she wants. Please don't stoop that low and say it's a comfort dog. It makes the folks who legitimately have a dog for a medical reason upset and much less credible.

Be more constructive and share that feedback with the breweries. I think it's a great idea to make them dog friendly. I know up here Novare Res was dog friendly on the patio. Something may have happened though and not sure they still do.

29. Skwalk47

Skwalk47 Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2010 Massachusetts

Wait that's a thing? Comfort dogs? I knew about service animals for various reasons but jeez. And nah, I wouldnt wanna bring my dog in somewhere that they weren't encouraged.

But for reals, has anyone ever walked down around Union Square on a nice weekend. You could make a freaking killing with that crowd.

As far as I know America Fresh isn't dog friendly. I think if you serve food it is much more difficult. But someone with a tap room and maybe the occasional food truck should really consider it :slight_smile:

30. trevorpost

Society

Not Somerville, but isn't the patio at Night Shift dog friendly? Might be the closest option of that sort.

robNSB likes this.
  31. DeanGeorge

DeanGeorge Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2013 Massachusetts

Valid point and yes the Night Shift patio is dog friendly.

robNSB and Jbrews like this.
  32. Jbrews

Jbrews Disciple (351) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Dean, didn't mean the frustration to be directed towards you. Really was just visioning someone I know haha

DeanGeorge likes this.
  33. rhino88888888

Trader

34. messrock

messrock Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2010 Massachusetts

CBC patio is dog friendly too.

35. Clarkvv

Clarkvv Initiate (68) Mar 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Here for opening night. They have an ipa, black ipa, molasses strong ale, cream ale and an imperial stout. The cream ale and ipa were both clean and nicely aromatic but very sweet, somewhat underattenuated. I do like dry beer so maybe just me. Black ipa and Flood (molasses strong ale) were more dry and interesting. Really really nice space and the food looks great. Cool stuff. Excited to try more.

36. bostonwolf

Drove by that night, there was a line out the door. Hopefully they can maintain that level of popularity.

37. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Aspirant (208) Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

The coffee is awesome, and even as just a cafe the place fills such a need for the area. Thought the stout was pretty excellent and the strong ale not far behind. The IPA was good albeit a bit generic. Cream ale I loved one time and could take it or leave it the second. Will definitely have all those again. Didn't try the black IPA. Overall the space is amazing and the beers are good. Off to a strong start, looking forward to seeing how their stuff develops.

corey0212 likes this.
  38. huuvola

huuvola Initiate (117) Oct 29, 2005 Massachusetts

The food is also solid. Had a pork bahn mi sandwich, served with good fries, and a side of spicy brussels sprouts. Tasty stuff. Service was efficient and friendly even though the place was pretty packed.

bostonwolf and corey0212 like this.
  39. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Aspirant (208) Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

I will say, I felt like the capacity should be higher. I'm sure WHB doesn't set that themselves, but there were times when the line was near 10 people and there was plenty of space to move around in the front (non-table) area.

40. seanunreal

seanunreal Initiate (135) Jul 23, 2009 Massachusetts

Just because you see space doesn't mean there is space. The Boston area is usually very strict about capacity.

FrankLloydMike likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.