Wolf's Ridge Brewing and Releases

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Brown120, May 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spider889

Spider889 Meyvn (1,293) Mar 24, 2010 Ohio
    Society

Nothing I'm aware of. FYI to everyone, half of the lot across from the taproom (closest half) will be shut down for the release party. Please do not attempt to park in those spaces.

If for some ungodly reason you want to line up at 6AM before our staff is here do not park there. There ought to be a notice in the payment kiosk but figured I'd put that out there.

BuckeyeBeerhead likes this.
  2. Spider889

Society

Ok here's what we're looking at for Saturday bottle-wise:

Beer Name, Bottle Count, Limit
    Coconut Cream Pie, 1400, 6
    Bourbon Barrel Pi, 400, 2
    Dire Wolf, 500, 3
    Canis Mexicanus Double Espresso, 1000, 4
    Bourbon Barrel Canis Mexicanus, 650, 3
    Bourbon Barrel Coffee Vanilla Dire Wolf, 700, 3

Update on the timing situation and other notes. The city has officially approved our permit to allow drinking/sales outside with the following caveats:
    • No alcohol may cross from outside into the taproom and vice versa. That means if you get a pour in the taproom you must finish it/leave it inside if you go outside. It really sucks but that's the law and will unfortunately need to be enforced. I did my best to provide awesome beer in both areas in case of this circumstance.
    • The outside permit doesn't take effect until 10AM. So we're pushing back when everyone can enter from the street. At 9 we will let through the pre-sale group. At 9:30 we will begin letting in everyone else. We will have coffee ready to go and everyone can get ID'd, wrist-banded, and purchase drink tokens until 10:00, at which point everything will get tapped.

Elkevjoe, Cbusssted, Nate and 3 others like this.
  3. Spider889

Society

Can't edit above... Disregard the token thing, state wants every drink paid for separately like normal.

4. Cbusssted

Cbusssted Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2012 Ohio

So tokens are scrapped? There will be a tablet/POS system outside to add drinks to a tab?

5. Cbusssted

Or perhaps cash only outside?

6. Spider889

Society

Legally all sales outside must remain separate from what's sold inside. I can't speak to whether you can keep a tab open at each or only pay as you go outside, but there ought to be a POS system.

To get our permit we had to partner with a non profit, so the Mid Ohio Food Bank will be managing that POS system I believe. If I get more concrete info on the process before Saturday I will let everyone know.

BuckeyeBeerhead likes this.
  7. owen49

owen49 Initiate (37) Jun 13, 2009 Ohio

I may have missed this, but will we have the chance to try the beers before we decide which (how many) bottles we want to buy? I'm asking primarily because of the pumpkin beer - I think pumpkin beers are generally repulsive, but you extra'd me a homebrew pumpkin/Thanksgiving beer a few years ago that I really enjoyed.

Looking forward to Saturday.

8. Spider889

Society

Ha! Yeah that one was pretty good, my second ever Homebrew and first self designed recipe. Coincidentally Pi was the first recipe I designed for WRB. I think ours is great but spiced beer is spiced beer so I get when people don't get into the style.

Anyways, yes, everything will be on tap all day. I believe all the bottled beers are in the taproom, but bottle sales don't begin until roughly 11 so should be time for everyone to try what they want to.

9. dopeweblow

dopeweblow Initiate (34) Oct 12, 2012 Ohio

I'm confused as to how this affects pre-sale people. Originally, from what I understood, it was pre-sale people in at 9, everyone else at 10:30. The ticket description on Eventbrite indicated that flights and breakfast would be at 9:30 and pre-sale people would get to buy their bottles at this time and it would only take 45 minutes. Is that still true or what has changed?

10. Spider889

Society

Nothing ever said 45 minutes, it will take as long as it takes to get people through the line, but pre-sale is unaffected time wise. You'll still get into the taproom at 9 and have first crack at bottles. The pushed back in time (9:30) is for everyone else. Initially we hoped to let in everyone else (to the outside portion) at 9 as well and let them begin sampling beer rather than just sit in line an extra 1.5 hrs. They will get to begin drinking at 10 outside, but not in the taproom until 10:30, as stated in the ticket info.

Hope that clarifies.

#90 Spider889, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  11. dopeweblow

dopeweblow Initiate (34) Oct 12, 2012 Ohio

So still 9:00-10:30 for exclusively pre-sale people inside, I didn't realize you were talking about only outside for the new 9:30 time. Thank you for the response.

12. BeerBuckeye

BeerBuckeye Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2009 Ohio

Here's hoping the forecasted rain holds off a bit or else it's going to be quite the drencher outside.

13. Treebute

Treebute Initiate (143) Jul 13, 2011 Ohio
    Trader

Dire Wolf Ponchos

Spider889 likes this.
  14. Spider889

Society

Not a perfect solution but we will be putting up a couple 20x30 tents to provide some shelter. Hopefully it hits overnight or really late! :astonished:

15. tepie

tepie Initiate (79) Aug 26, 2015 Ohio

Will these bottles last a bit beyond the release or hard to say?

16. irishaj

irishaj Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2014 Ohio

bottle costs? can't remember from the last release

17. Spider889

Society

Likely not except maybe the Coconut Cream Pie.

18. Cbusssted

I saw it posted somewhere on FB.
    Coconut Cream $8
    BA Pi $8 (12oz)
    Dire $9
    Double espresso Canis $14
    BA Canis $20
    BA Coffee Vanilla Dire $20

irishaj likes this.
  19. Spider889

Society

Got a little ahead and bottled about 225 bombers of regular Pi today for the release. More will hit store shelves, albeit very limited quantities, next week or so.

Also look for limited distribution of Oktoberfest in the next week or two. About 100 cases of 500ml bottles planned.

PJ_ likes this.
  20. Cbusssted

Shit, I could have lost money on this one. We saw the FB post and I was gonna put money on the "unannounced" beer was gonna be Oktoberfest 500mls.

Edit to ask, 1 bottle of regular Pi per person probably?

21. Spider889

Society

Haven't made a final decision, but I think 2 most likely, something tells me it will last longer than one would think because of everything else.

22. BeerBuckeye

Line is about 20 deep at 8 am. Let's hope that rain we got this morning holds off for a while.

23. irishaj

irishaj Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2014 Ohio

Do the early entry people just stand in the normal line until called out or do we convein in a different spot??

@Spider889

Myself and others are curious as we stand in line

Gracias

#103 irishaj, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  24. BeerBuckeye

Expertly organized release, WRB. Wasn't even an early bird and had my bottles and was out by 10:55 (wish I could have stayed longer). Everything seemed to run very smoothly and efficiently, even to those lined up outside.

Can't wait to crack some of these brews

Spider889 likes this.
  25. Nick_B

Nick_B Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2014 Ohio

Got held up in a meeting this morning, anybody know if there's anything left?

26. Cbusssted

I don't think everyone who lined up has been through to get bottles so its still too early to call. Come down, drink taps. Its loose and chill here.

27. Nick_B

Nick_B Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2014 Ohio

I'm here. Really good time!

Cbusssted likes this.
  28. Spider889

Society

We still have cream pie and double espresso but barrel aged is either gone or about to be. Also have regular Dire and regular Pi available. All inside taps still flowing, killed all the outside stuff pretty quick.

Thanks to all who came out, had a great time and happy to see the positive reaction to so many brand new beers today.

arnmsctt, irishaj, Cbusssted and 6 others like this.
  29. cbusnoles

cbusnoles Aspirant (227) May 23, 2010 Ohio
    Trader

Will any of these make it til tomorrow and what time do bottle sales start on Sunday?

30. pyite

pyite Initiate (176) Feb 25, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

You guys killed it didn't make it down til 5:30 and still got bottles, love the setup beer was phenomenal, you guys def did it right thanks for the great and beer and party

Spider889 and Cbusssted like this.
  31. Spider889

Society

Bottle sales today technically begin when we open but tbh the brunch servers don't have time to run into the basement to build cases. If you come early I'd recommend eating brunch then when the taproom opens at noon ask for bottles. Plenty left of the temaining beers. When I left last night there were maybe 16 cases each of double espresso, Dire Wolf, and Pi. We have 30 left of Coconut Cream Pie.

32. BeerBuckeye

I know people are all about the bourbon barrel stuff, but that Double Espresso Canis is something else.

If you didn't get to the bottle release yesterday, it's worth the trip to WRB just to pick that up.

33. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,103) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Hey, I had a couple of quick questions about two beers:

A couple days ago I had what the waitress said was a Wolf's Ridge "Doppelbock" at a Restaurant called Savor in North Canton. At first I thought this was likely your Sustinator, but I just stopped by the brewery today and saw that Liberte was described as Doppelbock-like and was the only beer that might fit that style on draft at the time. Is that what you guys would have shipped to Savor, or would you know? I guess a more targeted question would be when was the last time you brewed Sustinator? I'm guessing the most recent of the two would have been what you sent them. Just wanted to make sure I reviewed the right beer because they didn't have a taplist, they just verbally told us styles without beer names.

Also, is the malt in Pi smoked, or just the pumpkins? I got a good level of smoke drinking that today, which certainly made that brew unique relative to other pumpkin ales.

34. Cbusssted

Why'd you enter a tick if you were just guessing what beer you were drinking?

35. Sabtos

Society Trader

It's not a tick, it was a review--I don't treat this like Untappd. Why do I get the feeling I've attracted a new troll?

I wasn't guessing, I was told it was a Doppelbock. Wolf's Ridge only has one doppelbock. Liberte is a Biere de Garde and since no one else has recently rated the doppel I questioned myself. Now that I see Wolf's Ridge describes their Liberte as doppel-like, I assume I may have been wrong, and would delete and move my review if necessary.

Having a rough week?

ohiobeer29 and VABA like this.
  36. Spider889

Society

You definitely were drinking Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité - I delivered that keg myself. Since most people are unfamiliar with the style Bière de Garde I wanted to include the style description/comparison to Doppelbock. I'll reach out to Savor.

Haven't had Sustinator since maybe February, but we'll be rebrewing it in the next month or so hopefully fwiw.

Only the pumpkin was smoked for Pi, but at 300lbs worth makes up a decent portion of the mash.

Sabtos likes this.
  37. Sabtos

Society Trader

I appreciate it, enjoyed both. I can guzzle doppelbocks with reckless abandon so I hope to get the chance to try your take on it.

But man, the tap list today at the taproom--lots of fun. I'm glad a lot from the release remained available. Now for me to try to stop down in the evening someday, because...that brunch! The kitchen puts out what is easily some of the best food I've had at any brewery anywhere.

Cheers

Spider889 likes this.
  38. gilligantrips

gilligantrips Initiate (82) Jun 4, 2015 Ohio

I wasn't able to make the release this Saturday, but I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to pick up a few (BBA!) bottles at the taproom today. Not sure how I got lucky with the leftovers, but the bartender said I got the last of the BBA coffee vanilla.

One thing -- I got a Pi bottle that was underfilled by maybe 4-5 oz. I didn't notice until I got home. I'm not too picky, but I have a question-- should the carbonation be okay with the extra air room, and/or would it be more likely to oxidize? Thanks! I figured I would mention it in the case that it's an unknown problem or if it was just a fluke. I've never gotten a bottle so underfilled (albeit likely by accident).

39. Spider889

Society

If possible bring it back and we'll exchange it. Definitely a fluke that should have been caught. Shouldn't go flat quickly but over time might have issues, I'd rather replace it for you. If that's not an option PM me.

gilligantrips likes this.
  40. Runofthedill

Runofthedill Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2014 Ohio

had a great time, drink everything I wanted multiple times except for the Strawberry Rhubarb which I never got a taste of being inside with the ticket holders as it blew early. Yub Nub was pretty amazing and I look forward to seeing that in a bottle one day. Great release, everyone seemed chill but some guy in a green jacket yelling about everything. My first experience at Wolf and will be back again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.