Women and Craft Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ekardz, Jan 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hopgoddess312

Hopgoddess312 Aspirant (209) Jan 17, 2014 Colorado
    Trader

There's not much of an "article" to read, it is just a short piece saying why bother spending time talking beer with a beer dude about what beers are new and interesting when there are hot chicks on line dispensing beer guidance. And then there's a bunch of pics from women's IG accounts, a good chunk of which are just tit pics and nothing to do with beer, though the article refers to them as "insanely knowledgeable" about beer. The article appears in the "sex and women" section of the magazine, so not exactly intending to be about the beer.

Duckaduck, FBarber, Brolo75 and 3 others like this.
  2. Hopgoddess312

Trader

I did want to say to the OP, I do appreciate you posting this and do appreciate that you recognize that there's an issue and that you're advocating a beer community more welcoming and inclusive of women. I completely agree with that and am always thrilled when a guy recognizes how tough things can be for us women! I just think that championing these so-called IG "beer chicks" is not the best vehicle for that. IG has just become an endless T&A parade with nearly naked pics being posted to lure you to their paid sites. Craft beer just seems to be an innocent bystander in this whole mess. It's funny because I'm reading the obits for Mary Tyler Moore,who was one of the first and only women in popular culture who seemed to be able to be feminine and a serious professional at the same time. We unfortunately, have not "come a long way baby," because so many women seem to think their only value is their sexuality.

Narkee, McMatt7, jmasher85 and 9 others like this.
  3. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,763) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Well not much of a "the Instagram" follower, can see how that would consume most of a day. If I want to know what a woman (or man for that matter) thinks about a beer, I will usually check out @utopiajane review or see if she has posted a YouTube review of it. I like they way she reviews.

moshea likes this.
  4. JrGtr

JrGtr Disciple (391) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I'm not on Instagram, so I can't really go see anything about them. All I see is a bunch of attractive women holding or appear to be holding craft beer. the article doesn't say who they are or anything about them; why I should be following them.
    It is true that craft beer is a mostly male hobby, but I can say that the percentage of women has been growing since I started. I also know quite a few women into craft, several of them make me look like I know nothing about it.

Jacobier10, ekardz and drtth like this.
  5. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (6,694) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Please forgive my ignorance, but is there some kind of incentive for getting more likes and followers in Instagram? You know besides basic attention, like monetary? If not, I just don't see why these women would constantly post about beer if they themselves didn't love the actual beer aspect, regardless of how attractive they present themselves as or not. Some people simply do not allow themselves to be in a picture without an absolutely perfect presentation.

ekardz likes this.
  6. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (1,970) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

drtth likes this.
  7. JISurfer

JISurfer Poo-Bah (1,681) Dec 10, 2002 South Carolina
    Trader

I'm actually good friends with one of the women on the list and her husband. She is extremely knowledgeable in craft beer, not in it just for "likes". I think it's great to see fellow beer nerds that are women though. I've tried to get my wife into it, but while she enjoys craft beer, she's not into it like I am. In fact, she makes fun of me taking my beer pictures, haha!

As far as the sexist comments, are you really that surprised? Some people are jerks. The internet gives them a voice and a chance to prove it to everyone else. Plus, the folks saying that stuff are probably bitter, because they don't have a gf or wife.

ekardz likes this.
  8. JISurfer

JISurfer Poo-Bah (1,681) Dec 10, 2002 South Carolina
    Trader

Yes, you get free stuff and some folks get paid. It's not a lot, but still extra beer money.

Sabtos likes this.
  9. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (335) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

We're being real? Ok, let's be real: our culture is sexist. Internet or no internet.

aquabears and Premo88 like this.
  10. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,808) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society Trader

You're on BA.com posting with the masses, so as far as I can tell, the avatar's cleavage is just biology, not a clever trick to hog attention.

Or is your avatar somehow tricking me? :grimacing::grimacing::grinning::grinning:

Chicks *do* dig beer and while all my experience is anecdotal at best, women get nothing but respect from the little craft beer world I live in. Most of that is in the real world, not in the comments section of a website, where NOBODY GETS RESPECT.

And are we not burying the lede here? I'm not on Instagram, but it sounds like attention whores are using craft beer (and boobs) to gain attention, and if that's the case, then perhaps craft beer is crawling out of the underground into the mainstream at a faster pace then we realized.

We did, girls! (and boys!)

Hopgoddess312 likes this.
  11. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,423) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Meh, whatever. This seems to be about what you get from Social Media. I like beer and boobs, but this is just click bait.

I'm happy to talk about beer with whomever I happen to be elbow to elbow with in the taproom.

Eddiehop and Harrison8 like this.
  12. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (266) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

ewwwh. A girl.
    It sort of reminds me of comic con and other nerdy games/activities. There has been a shift all around.

The year 2006. Smaller breweries started popping up around my way. 95% male dominated. 2008, some slight diversity. But when that one female who shows up with her husband is gawked at constantly, everyone becomes surprised females like the good beers. Every bodies dream girl right there.

I remember not being able to find many females who liked ipas until about 2011. Crazy right.

I don't know if there is so much as a 'cause'. But this may not be the best thing. Imho now in 2017, there is near perfect balance and females liking craft beer is not really a surprise or a big thing. The limelight is dimming for these 30 Ig posters imho. Show me this in 2012 and I'd be in love. Now it's a greater balance

13. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,551) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

A buddy and I and our wives have a female friend who is into craft and attends beerfests with us. My wife and my buddies wife are not into beer, so they act as designated drivers and hang with us, drinking pop, while the three of us drink craft. Then we all go out to dinner afterwards. A lot of women attend beerfests around here. I don't see what gender has to do with enjoying craft.

GOBLIN, Harrison8 and ekardz like this.
  14. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,478) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

If I recall correctly, there have been studies done on the psychological impact of social media. When a person gets a notification on their phone, watch, or computer that they received a "like" it can release dopamine in the brain. That chemical release and then the diminish of that chemical in the body system makes folks want to re-experience, or re-release dopamine resulting in more posts for more "likes". It's the reason you see so many people post three or four or more photos in a day on Instagram. Personally, I don't do anything nearly that interesting, so I post about once every month and a half, haha.

I'm at work, so I can't spend much time digging around for studies.

Sabtos, Ranbot and aquabears like this.
  15. BeernOnThe4thOfJuly

BeernOnThe4thOfJuly Initiate (133) Apr 12, 2016 Missouri

To quote Kathy Bates, with a slight amendment... Social media is the devil!

Scott17Taylor and Brolo75 like this.
  16. KCUnited

KCUnited Initiate (184) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Instagram can definitely be a revenue generator. The model being build a large following by posting regularly, taking good photos, become a known personality by interacting through comments and once you've become popular enough, brands could potentially pay you to market their products by posing with them on IG. I don't spend near enough time on IG to know if that's occurring in the craft beer world yet, but for me, if it looks like more pose than substance, I usually assume its someone trying to build their brand or fulfill their lust for attention.

Sabtos and Harrison8 like this.
  17. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (6,694) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

I actually heard this on NPR, quite an in depth discussion so I'm picking up what you're throwing down. Personally I don't get the appeal, but I'm one of the few that still really enjoys their privacy.

Ranbot and Harrison8 like this.
  18. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,478) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Hey! That's where I first heard it. I suppose at the end of the day it's about how dopamine effects you, or if you even find posting, likes, attention remotely reinforcing. I'm nearly 24, so right in the Social Media generation, but I don't like posting much. It makes my few posts feel a little more "special", and I actually have stories to share when I see my friends instead of them reading all about it on Instagram and not having much to catch up on when we do meet.

Ranbot and Sabtos like this.
  19. moshea

moshea Devotee (464) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan

And if your avatar doesn't show your support for women and beer, I don't know what does.

jmdrpi, donspublic and ekardz like this.
  20. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Crusader (743) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Women and craft beer.....Two of my favorite things!

21. TheOneTC

TheOneTC Initiate (156) Aug 23, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

This is absolutely happening in the craft beer world already. A couple of months ago, several larger craft beer Instagram accounts (with 5-10k+ followers) started posting photos with that Fizzics draft pour thing. A few of the accounts were using the same "stock" photo but were making it seem like it was their original photo. It was blatant advertisement trying to hide under the guise of what seemed to be a genuine post.

EDIT: Examples...
    [​IMG]

#61 TheOneTC, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  22. BIGPOPPAS

BIGPOPPAS Disciple (361) Aug 5, 2016 New Jersey

Great post and nice T shirt :wink:
    CHEERS !!

23. Ranbot

Ranbot Champion (867) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Kudos to a generally polite and thoughtful discussion here. This is part of the reason I like this corner of the internet over many others...

I agree with @Hopgoddess312 and others that sexism in craft beer is there and we should be aware of it, but regarding the IG "beer babes" specifically, we probably don't have to go full white knight for them. To varying degrees and for whatever their personal reasons they are exploiting society's desire to look at attractive people, which in this case happens intersect with traditionally male-dominated beer culture. They know what they are getting into and they can leave IG or change accounts if they wanted to. Before I come off like a victim-blamer, I don't condone the ugly trollish comments towards those women, but is our energy well-spent donning the white cape to go to battle against all the trolls of the internet? Policing online trolls is a ton of effort, and sometimes the effort only increases the power of the trolls. So I would argue our energy is better spent addressing the sexism that occurs off-line, right in front of us with average women who are not in any way inviting that sort of sexist attention. It clearly does happen and it should change. Furthermore, I believe that the energy we put into bettering our personal lives and interactions with others will eventually spill over into the internet. I know some will scoff at that, but there is evidence right here in this forum, because the topic of sexism in craft beer has come up before and it hasn't always played out as politely as this one. I think this topic gets a little more civil and understanding every time. How sexism and beer culture manifest in social media is a new angle that I don't recall being discussed before here. Ultimately, sexism is out there and will continue to manifest itself in different ways, but I think overall things are improving as time goes on.

24. montman

montman Disciple (389) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

My wife is a member of a local chapter of a national club for women focused on learning/sharing all things related to craft beer. As far as I know, this group rarely has problems being disrespected or looked down on, and several members make their living in the industry.
    This discussion being focused on the internet and comments, well yeah, it should come as no surprise, trolls are going to troll.

25. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,242) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I just try not to feed 'em.

26. marquis

marquis Crusader (771) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

Of course the future of the human race depends on it :slight_smile:
    Back to beer matters we have many local lady brewers. And they are very good at it.
    Project Venus is a group of collaborative brewsters.

27. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,736) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I think its awesome that women love craft beer as much as the guys. I never actually thought about this topic. I always see women out having beers at the bars just like the guys, sure some don't like beer but tons do. I would love to see women owned breweries as much as men owned, makes no difference to me so long as the beer is good, etc.

Cheers to the ladies!!! :slight_smile:

28. BWood

BWood Defender (644) Jan 4, 2015 California

So the "tit pics" are kind of like your profile pic is what you are saying :rolling_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue:

29. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,242) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

It was a woman who drove me to drink . . . well, she drove me to the store . . .

[​IMG]

30. lightman1

lightman1 Initiate (83) Oct 19, 2013 Arkansas

I don't "follow" anybody and I don't do Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. But there are several Ladies that are part of the same beer scene that I'm in and they get along great with everyone. Some are married, some are single, some arrive with their spouse and some arrive separately. Everyone seems to get along ok. No body looks or talks down to them, nor them to us. We tend to be an older crowd, if that matters.

31. Hopgoddess312

Trader

NO! My cleavage (which is is the equivalent of a Victorian ankle flash compared to the IG ladies we're discussing!) is completely incidental to what I was trying to show which is me chugging one of my favorite beers, a Sue, in my absolute favorite beer shirt! I dig beer, dammit! Most people don't know it's actually me anyway. In fact, most of the people I have traded with assume I'm a dude. Go figure. . .:rolling_eyes::flushed::grinning:

32. BWood

BWood Defender (644) Jan 4, 2015 California

Yea yea yea. I guess I'll buy in to that. :stuck_out_tongue:

33. Feel_the_Darkness

Feel_the_Darkness Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2012 Virginia

I deleted every social media account I had over 2 years ago. People are toxic when a modicum of anonymity is allowed, and I really don't have the time for that. This forum is the only type of Internet conversation I indulge in because I enjoy beer that much. I support any and all beer lovers, regardless of gender, race, religious belief or personal palette, although we have to agree to disagree on the last one quite a bit.

34. Feel_the_Darkness

Feel_the_Darkness Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2012 Virginia

But, upon actual review of the pictures posted in that article, I'd be more than happy to treat several of those women to a one on one beer tasting to discuss the overtures of male chauvinism in modern culture, ifyaknowwhatimean

ekardz and SammyJaxxxx like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.