Word to the wise - check your hose clamps every time!

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by yesmar, Aug 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesmar

yesmar Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2009 Pennsylvania

Just finished brewing a nice american pale, but had a leaky hose clamp on my wort chiller. Diluted my wort by 10 points. What was going to be a big APA, is now a session APA.

Worse things could happen I suppose. Check those hose clamps!

ditch and BedetheVenerable like this.
  2. inchrisin

inchrisin Defender (654) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

I'd also recommend that you bend your ends down over the lip of the kettle if you can. You can also wrap the connections with dish towels to prevent spray. Hair clips from the wife come in handy for clamping them in place.

3. Gritsak

Gritsak Devotee (401) Jan 22, 2004 West Virginia

This is why i spent a little extra money to buy and solder garden hose fittings on my chiller.

4. Ilanko

Ilanko Aspirant (200) Aug 3, 2012 New York

Back in the days of one gallon batches I had drowned the hot wort in to ice bath under running water, end up toss it all into the sink.
    Now days on 5-6 gallon batches I use ice instead of wort chiller

5. ditch

ditch Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2009 Virginia

Good advise! Loose hose clamps or lack there of can ruin a brewday. I had the line from my kettle to my chiller come loose while I was away for 1 minute cleaning something. Lost about 1.5 gallons of hot wort to the garage floor. =\

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.