World Class DIPA Blind Showdown (Heady vs Enjoy By vs 077XX vs Double Jack vs Resin)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MyNameIsJohnnyV, Apr 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zero_signal

zero_signal Aspirant (289) Aug 8, 2013 New Jersey

077XX for trade... :slight_smile:

blassor and ESeab like this.
  2. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (275) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

My favorite is when you pick a local or easily accessible beer in your top 3. A lightbulb goes off that you don't have to trade or TRY everything. It's cool to be curious. But there's no issue in being content.

Docrock likes this.
  3. mabermud

mabermud Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2006 Washington

I have had them all on numerous occasions...My rankings:
    1. Heady T
    2. Enjoy By
    3. Double Jack
    4. 077XX
    5. Hi-Res (not Resin)

ESeab likes this.
  4. Docrock

Docrock Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2012 Illinois

But wait, you violated the Heady rule, must drink from the can.....

whats really cool about this to me is that there are so many great beers available right now. When I do tastings like this, I try to do at least 6 beers and have at least 6 other people involved, generally blind. When the beers are known seems like the general trend is to try and pick which beer is which and then the preconceived rankings come into play.

5. BourbonYeti

BourbonYeti Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2015 New Jersey

That's awesome. I should try this. I'd replace resin with something else though, definitely outclassed in that line up IMO

ESeab likes this.
  6. alexk307

alexk307 Aspirant (203) Nov 7, 2013 Maryland

Yep

mabermud and ESeab like this.
  7. GetTheYayo

GetTheYayo Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

Hi-Res > All

8. mikepcarney

mikepcarney Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2009 Ohio

HT
    077xx
    Enjoy By
    Double Jack
    Resin

ESeab likes this.
  9. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (619) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

Ermahgerd Heady wan't number !?!?!?!?!?!?

10. Monkeyknife

Monkeyknife Poo-Bah (3,576) Jan 8, 2007 Missouri
    Society Trader

That's probably close to how I would rank them as well.

11. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (275) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

Freshness is the biggest factor I have found. It really can make a 90 BA local beer turn into a giant when the others aren't quite fresh or perky enough aroma wise. Drinking a delicate hoppy beer alone is one thing. But the more aromatic, not neccersarily better, tend to stand out. Your brain is left scrambling around.

I would love to see someone do a "blind sampling with some of the top IPAs in the country" and it just be all these normally available beers. I'm sure we'd be shocked by the results.

Any beer blogs or websites that do a lot of these blind tastings? I tend to have someone pour for me, and I drink a few sips with my eyes closed (I know what my favorite IPA looks like). Sadly for me, I often can't pick it out of a lineup. I drink this weekly and the power of the IBUs tend to mess up my brain.

rockernino likes this.
  12. ESeab

ESeab Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2013 New Jersey

I did just #2/3 last month. I grabbed a case of Heady within a few days old in VT, brought it down to NJ and grabbed two 4 packs of 077xx a few days old, and went to every one of my beer friends and did a blind taste test. Heady won 6-2. It was very close for sure. And in all honesty, it's what you prefer, pure balance of pine/citrus/floral/balanced malt, or AMAZING mango/papaya/crushable. I prefer Heady fresh, buuuuuuut, after three weeks old, prefer ODub (NJ styley) bc it holds up better. In the end, my belly is the winner.

DrStiffington likes this.
  13. ESeab

ESeab Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2013 New Jersey

BTW, resin really isnt that good, i'd put much more ahead of that, im glad Double Jack was in there, underrated imo

14. MyNameIsJohnnyV

MyNameIsJohnnyV Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2015 Pennsylvania

The main reason I did Resin was because I wanted at least one in there that I'd never had before and that was probably the best option I had on hand. I actually did have a Hi-res on hand as well, but I've had that before and to tell you the truth I'm not a fan. Tastes kind of like a poor man's 120 Minute to me (which may not be a bad thing for some, but I'm not really a fan of 120 Minute).

15. MyNameIsJohnnyV

MyNameIsJohnnyV Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2015 Pennsylvania

Actually, I did drink the remaining 4 ounces out of the can after the tasting. If I had done the Heady out of the can from the start it would have finished last. I'll never buy into that drink from the can nonsense.

16. mohawk5

mohawk5 Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2014 New Jersey

Love my 077XX. No need to drive hours to VT or stroke off some nerd online to trade for Heady when I can drive less than an hour to Carton and get my fix.

17. hellobeerz

hellobeerz Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2013 Virginia

I would of liked to of seen Hi-Res in this instead of just the regular Resin... this year's Hi-Res was quite possibly the best beer I in the past year, by far. Its drinkability and profile.. with the high ABV was just ridiculous. I would love to see a true blind taste test of those beers though, I think we would all be surprised by the results... the Heady hype leads to biased results ive noticed. Great post though! Cheers!

18. hellobeerz

hellobeerz Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2013 Virginia

I would of liked to of seen Hi-Res in this instead of just the regular Resin... this year's Hi-Res was quite possibly the best beer I in the past year, by far. Its drinkability and profile.. with the high ABV was just ridiculous. I would love to see a true blind taste test of those beers though, I think we would all be surprised by the results... the Heady hype leads to biased results ive noticed. Great post though! Cheers!

19. Docrock

Docrock Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2012 Illinois

That's why I always laugh when someone rates Heady a 5 for appearance and says they drank from the can...

TheeWalrusHunter likes this.
  20. FFreak

FFreak Defender (665) Nov 10, 2013 Vermont

I love everything about the Alchemist, but I have to agree with this....Heady is better poured into glass.

21. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I can drive 3 minutes to a bar and have 077XX on tap. (and have more than once)

22. frozen-1984

frozen-1984 Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2014 Tennessee

This is based on I have not either heady or xx

23. peteboiler

peteboiler Initiate (154) Dec 16, 2010 Florida

Man, if I could have only joined you during this test. I am assuming that was quite a night....

24. spwalshesq

spwalshesq Initiate (153) Jan 25, 2008 Massachusetts

+1 on Trillium. Trillium is making some of the finest IPAs and DIPAs around.

kanno and HoppySeb like this.
  25. HopBomb515

HopBomb515 Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2013 New Jersey

I've had all of these and trade frequently for Heady Topper. Heady and 077XX are always stocked in my fridge. I go back and forth on which is tops in my mind. If I want smooth, drinkable, clean mouthfeel, citrus for days and restrained bitterness then I lean Heady. If I want citrus, pine, mango, tropical and pine with a throat grabbing bitter edge and super crushable then I lean 077XX. I think currently is rank:

Heady Topper
    077XX
    Enjoy By
    Double Jack
    Resin

This could be influenced by the fact that I'm literally drinking a Heady as I type this. Tomorrow that could flip easily to 077XX on top.

DrStiffington likes this.
  26. aasher

aasher Poo-Bah (3,608) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Society

Where is the Sucks?

27. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Poo-Bah (1,861) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

The taste is very different but I do really like the Resin. I would not put it above the Heady or 077XX or Enjoy By, or fresh Double Jack, but.....it's still a very tasty DIPA in its own right.

28. kanno

kanno Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2012 Maryland

I was surprised by how much I liked Enjoy By since I've never had a thing for Stone's stuff. They really killed it with that one. Also.. I had Dirt Wolf the other day and thought it was pretty meh... just me?

StoneBrewing likes this.
  29. jojo2112

jojo2112 Initiate (167) Sep 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

Nice job. That's probably how I would rank them, although I might put Double Jack ahead of Heady Topper.

30. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Poo-Bah (2,668) May 21, 2010 Texas
    Society

Definitely like resin better than hi-res, for whatever reason that is.

enjoy by is good but I haven't had a stone IPA that I prefer over their usual IPA and ruination. Stone's regular IPA remains one of my all time favs and might be my highest rated IPA along with PtE. Cries of "you over-rated it" will be met with appropriate disdain, and cries of STFU lol.

While firestone is good, I didn't think it was so good that I'd have to get all fetishy about it.

Must try the 077. Anyone who says "east" coast IPA... gotta try that. Not that west coast is bad, but many beer/IPA types seem to think west coast IPAs are all there is, and that the universe ends at the tip of their own nose. Turns out it's a bit more complicated than that.

StoneBrewing and Himself like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.