Wormtown six packs, expansion, and local ingredients

Discussion in 'New England' started by jbertsch, Aug 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wdarcy77

wdarcy77 Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2008 Massachusetts

The thought of a well made, fresh IPA 4pk for $12-$14 is far more appealing than dropping $21-$24 on 1 bomber.

twizzard likes this.
  2. rudzud

rudzud Poo-Bah (4,355) Apr 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Overpriced? I feel like $12 for 4 16oz cans is kind of the going rate, no?

3. rudzud

Beer Trader

Just wait until Tree house starts canning Julius...

Robtobfest, Horbar and Jnorton00 like this.
  4. MVP09

MVP09 Devotee (417) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Just a picked up a growler at 1:30pm today. Pricey at $21 including $5 growler. This stuff better be good.

5. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

Overpriced is not really the right word...I'm just nitpicking here, but it struck me as a touch on the high side. I guess you're right that $12 is about the going rate for 4 pounders (I think Double Bag goes for $12)...I guess my issue is I feel like the going rate should be a little less, like $11 or so. Like I said, I'm nitpicking...it just struck me as a little high. And I'm not looking forward to buying it for $14+ in Boston (although still much better than a bomber).

Maybe if they pursue canning full time we'll see a small price drop?

6. rudzud

Beer Trader

You dont have to worry about buying it at that price in boston...this trial run is a brewery only release. And think about it. Thats $3 per 16 oz. A bomber of Be Hoppy goes for $7-$8, which again is kinda on the lower side for bombers. That said, 2 cans, at 32oz is costing you only $6. See where I'm going with this?

7. messrock

messrock Initiate (174) Dec 9, 2010 Massachusetts

Bombers of Be Hoppy in Greater Boston are $9. Bombers of Larry $6. Tap hoppy bombers typically $5.

They'll sell it to distro @12/4pk and it will end up way too high.

8. rudzud

Beer Trader

Again, these 4 packs are BREWERY RELEASE ONLY. To speculate on what it may be priced at in boston, months down the road (when it will possibly be in 6 packs not 4), is just that...speculations.

FrankLloydMike and damienblack like this.
  9. MVP09

Beer Trader

Any one have info on release time? Went over on my lunch break today so no time to chat. I guess i could send them a FB message.

10. dennho

dennho Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2006 New York

One of the questions this thread was started about was would you spend more for a beer made with local ingredients. It seems to have gotten away from that.

11. jomobono

jomobono Disciple (348) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

But the title has Wormtown six packs.

12. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2007 Massachusetts

But what price will it sell for in Boston?

13. rudzud

Beer Trader

It was my understanding that Wormtown uses local ingredients whenever possible.

14. Horbar

Horbar Zealot (559) Feb 24, 2012 Rhode Island

Did anyone get Be Hoppy cans today?

15. cowbird

cowbird Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2013 Massachusetts

hope I can save someone a trip...went there today at lunch, ladies at Peppercorns werent familiar with the cans, they checked and told me next tuesday. On the way out the door I saw a half pallet or so of silver 16oz cans sitting on the blacktop baking in the sun, no labels on the cans. Went for a closer look and the loading dock had a full pallet with 2 guys loading or unloading. told them I drove an hour to purchase cans, they said not labeled yet and not for sale till next week & referred me to the bombers inside...maybe they were having some troubles, they looked flustered & seemed unfriendly. stopped at Julios on the return and picked up a rack of anderson valley for 10.99 and a few singles. didnt check the price on singles till I read the reciept in the car, all seem well except for the 12oz Ruination at $4.49. Wanted some torpedo but they were all dated July 13

16. RBCORCORAN

RBCORCORAN Aspirant (239) May 18, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

they just posted on facebook that 4 packs will go on sale at the brewery Weds.

commis likes this.
  17. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Crusader (700) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

I might buy this as a treat for myself... if I ever actually see it. I've had it on draft a couple times and it has been excellent.

As for locally-sourced ingredients, I don't really check into it. I like the product to be local (Jack's Abby, Ipswich, Mayflower, etc) but I can't be bothered to find out where all the pieces come from. I wouldn't pay a premium for it. The brewers that I've mentioned above (particularly Ipswich) sell at a very nice price point.

18. commis

commis Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2009 Massachusetts

They most likely seemed unfriendly because they were loading/unloading a pallet of (anything) on Wednesday in the 93 degree heat and some dude stopped to ask them about cans of beer that were unlabeled and clearly not for sale yet :wink:

19. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2007 Massachusetts

He was there Friday and it was probably 75F. Pretty sure there was a post saying they were on sale this weekend (meaning yesterday, today, tomorrow).

20. commis

commis Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2009 Massachusetts

Never saw that post.
    I will retract my comment on the heat though... Misread.
    Still not sure about reaching out to to some dudes unloading/loading a pallet. In the past, that has failed to get me anywhere.

21. TheBeerShop

TheBeerShop Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Local ingredients is always a good thing. But it has it limitations as some hops don't grow well here in NE.
    Hadley has a good local grain house, so its not terribly difficult to get local sourced grain. More so than local ingredients, I'm more interested in the creativity of local brew houses to make what brews that they wish to make. If local fits into that equation, thats a plus, but not a deal breaker.

22. cowbird

cowbird Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2013 Massachusetts

Yeah I thought someone here had suggested they would be selling the cans on friday, so off I went. did I call first?, nope, but I should have! (instead of wasting a few hours)...

I love the wormtown IPA but I'll wait for the cans if/when they hit the stores on a next batch, I dont want it enough to drive to downtown Worcester again anytime soon

23. jamvt

jamvt Disciple (382) Aug 5, 2005 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Got 2 4pks today. They did the trial run to test the canning system for a potential purchase of their own line. At least according to the guy I got the 4pks from. He said selling quickly, but didn't get into remaining quantities. Also, beer to go is cash only and tax and deposit are included in the $12.

24. emannths

emannths Initiate (187) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

No sales tax on beer these days, so I'm glad they didn't add tax at the register! :wink:

25. MVP09

Beer Trader

Picked up two 4 packs today as well! Cans are really shinny. Label only covers half of can. Only disappointment no date. But its a trial run so I assuming the beer is fresh and date will come to retail cans. Gonna let them chill for tomorrow night! $12 is good deal

26. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Disciple (358) Oct 21, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Why wouldnt u buy Torpedo date july 13????? Thats 60 days. Anything within 90 daus is hreat especially sierra nevada.

27. TheGator321

TheGator321 Aspirant (239) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

I prefer be hoppy in four pack cans than six pack bottles.
    I prefer when breweries, restaurants ect... use local ingredients.
    I would prefer wormtown moved out of that hell hole they call worchester.

28. logitech886

logitech886 Initiate (154) May 12, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I know I'm posting late and possibly to the wrong thread. I don't think that Wormtown is concerned with their pricing because their beer is so rare. As I write this the only six pack that they bottle is Be Hoppy and they couldn't have started doing that more than a month ago. You can't get it at the taproom (the source because it sells out so fast ) unless you're on your game. I was able to get a six pack this past Friday at a small liquor store in Worcester that had about three cases on display. I called on Monday and they had none left (probably because it was on display). I called a larger liquor store and they had plenty left probably because they didn't have it all on display. What I don't understand is why I can get a six pack for less money at a liquor store than I can get a growler filled at the source, never mind the five dollar deposit for the growler. You can't get their beer in stores but you can get it on tap somewhere across most of the state and of course at their taproom albeit for higher prices. The local ingredients is good and I will continue to support them but not very frequently. The cost for me is just prohibitive. I will never have a growler of Be Hoppy filled or a glass of it again at the taproom so long as I know that they are bottling it and distributing it. I'll just have to drink some Green Head or maybe a Rebel. Also its kind of odd that a pour from the taproom costs more than it does form the multiple bars they supply. Here I am just talking about Be Hoppy. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out... availability, distribution , pricing , selection etc.

29. Sheppard

Sheppard Crusader (739) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Did you type all of that on mobile? That's a lot of text. What's the price of a growler fill at the brewery?

30. DucRacer900

DucRacer900 Initiate (127) Aug 13, 2013 Massachusetts

I often plan dining out by what's on tap ;-)

As far as local ingredients go, beer 1st, ingredients 2nd. That said, I will pay a bit more for the simple reason that it increases the size of the supply chain in NE. The more brewers that do it, as best they can, the more robust and sustainable this industry is here.

31. Skwalk47

Skwalk47 Aspirant (232) Aug 31, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Honestly, I would love to see the cost of producing a $3 can of beer with local vs commodity grains. I bet we are talking about a fraction of the cost when you really break it out. My guess is something like this:

$1 retail margin
    75c wholesale/distributor margin
    75c depreciation, interest, labor
    25c packaging
    25c ingredients
    25c profit

Thats just my completely wild guess, but the point is if you double the ingredient portion you are only increasing the total cost of the beer by 10%

32. logitech886

logitech886 Initiate (154) May 12, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Na I used my computer. Between 14 - 19 plus 5 for the growler.... They don't exchange anymore so make sure yours is clean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.