Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Would you charge your buddies for a six year 120 vertical tasting?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jbone78, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hanzo

Hell yeah I'd charge. Shit I charge my friends for everything.

Need help moving? = $$$
    Need a ride to the airport? = $$$
    Need me to check on your cat while on vacation? = $$$
    Need to borrow my tools/lawnmower? = $$$
    Coming over to watch Football on my TV on Sunday? = $$$
    Want a pour from a bottle(s) I didn't want to tackle alone? = $$$

My advice to the OP is to sign up for a Square account to make it easier for your friend to pay.

jbone78, pweis909, jivex5k and 2 others like this.
  2. BJRHOMEBREW

Beer Trader

It depends. For example my good friend was getting married and needed to raise a few bucks for the honeymoon so he had a rare stout tasting (KBS, Hunahpu, Dark Lord '08/'09, Darkness.....). I think we all paid around $20 each and were glad to do so. So I would say for a charitable or worthy cause yes for any other reason I would say no.

basickness likes this.
  3. keithmurray

Off topic, but this made my day seeing another Hiero fan here on BA! Cheers!

jman005 likes this.
  4. udubdawg

Several people who wouldn't charge have been awfully rude about it in their response. Unfortunate.

5. EnronCFO

Beer Trader

Like most parties in life, it usually works out to "I'll bring the booze, you guys want to bring some food and maybe a couple other things to share?"

6. cbeer88

I can't believe this thread even exists. If you charge them you're not a very good friend.

jrnyc, cavedave and Providence like this.
  7. cavedave

Beer Trader

There is no depth so low that someone doesn't routinely stoop below it.

Providence likes this.
  8. RobM77

I charge my friends to watch UFC ppv... but never beer. Never. Giving good beer is likely to be rewarded with good karma.

9. Tayloraphilips

Yes I would charge my friends, but not a set price or anything. Just whatever they had on them or wanted to bring.
    And please let us know how it goes.

10. JulianB

The only time I think it's reasonable to charge is if someone buys most/all of the beer for a themed tasting and this is agreed upon beforehand. For instance one tasting group I'm part of did most of Jolly Pumpkin's regular lineup one time; one guy went to the store and purchased all the bottles, then we divided the cost among the participants (a few rare ones like Perseguidor were generously thrown in).

But when a big trade box comes in and I want to share beers, I just invite the friends who frequently share good stuff (doesn't have to be rare, just not pure moochers of which a few hang out at the larger weekly gathering we also have), ask them to bring some beer and/or food to share, and that's that. Last time I got in a huge Vermont box including HF IPAs, Lawsons, Heady, etc. and was the primary provider of beer. So much food showed up we couldn't finish it all.

11. racer2k

Don't ask them for any money...Ask them for their car keys..

Dracarys, cavedave and Providence like this.
  12. mychalg9

Beer Trader

Isn't '07-'13 actually 7 years? Whats that like $70? No I wouldnt charge, but you can ask them to bring other beers to drink.

13. switzer

It's a good question. I wouldn't charge my buddies in the scenario you laid out. I would let them know in advance what we are doing and suggest they bring some snacks and other beer. That would be no different than if I were hosting a BBQ. I provide the meal, people bring drinks.

However, if I was organizing a tasting and I was going to be getting all the beer and food I would split the cost among all the participants.

Unfortunately all but one of my buddies like beer but aren't "into" it like I am. They are perfectly happy with a sixer of whatever ipa they grab off the shelf and don't think much of it. So, breaking out good beers is lost in them or they don't like it. I need a sour buddy. Thinking something in the men seeking men section....

14. GimmeGumballHead

I hosted a 32 bottle (mostly all mine) share with 15 friends AND made crazy fancy fried seafood (that I bought) on brioche with misc. toppings and sauces... I told people not to bring anything, but if they insisted, I would prefer cash... about 10 people threw in 10 bucks, which covered about half the food... which was WAY more than I ever expected... so that was a great treat on top of getting to have a super fancy party.

anyways, I feel like when expensive food is involved, its more acceptable to ask for donations... but poppin bottles is poppin bottles.

15. TdLJg

If you have "real" friends there's no reason to charge because they'll do the right thing next time around.

16. Providence

Threads like these tell me not that people are taking beer too seriously, but that they are valuing it way too high. It's sad to me that terms like "return on their investment" could be tossed around in one's mind when debating to open special brews with friends.

mnstorm99, Dracarys, jrnyc and 5 others like this.
  17. TheGator321

for the most part no.

I never come empty handed to any social gathering. beer ,food or anything- but never empty handed

18. udubdawg

before we had ever had a beer tastings someone once suggested that we bring winter seasonals to someone's Christmas party. Lots of interest, including from many who in their own words knew nothing about beer. Some didn't know what to bring. A couple people offered to pick up a 6-pack for them for $10 or so. At the end of the night the extras were split up. BYOB events became popular.

Eventually I started hosting annual tastings where I provided most/all of the beer. Again, once a year. There was no charge. The second year someone noticed some bottles in my basement that some here might call "wales" and asked if they could try them. I said something to the effect that if I was giving up my hard-to-find or extremely expensive beer I was getting something in return for it. Everyone wanted to pay. Everyone still wants to pay. 3 of my tastings have consumed over $1000 worth of beer. They wouldn't feel right about not paying something.

I don't care if someone thinks this is dumb or will cost me friends, or makes me a bad friend or a huge cheapass or petty or common as shit or a douche bag, or that I have bad social etiquette, or any number of other unkind things said here.

It's what everyone who shows up wants to do, and we have a great time.

tl;dr - sometimes I charge, DWI.

cheers--
    --Michael

19. jman005

Hell yeah! Glad to see there are other hip hop fans on here myself.

creal92 likes this.
  20. Thehuntmaster

Hmmm I charge my friends to share beer with me.

Maybe it is a little different here because ALL beer I drink comes from online stores in Europe and is bloody expensive. I used to share it for free until I realized how much money I was giving away in free beer (my friends NEVER get their own beer). I felt like I was just asking them to pay their share of the costs of the beer. Am I an asshole?

21. charlzm

Beer Trader

I only ask my friends to show up. If I'm hosting a "cellar clearance", I provide food and beverage. People are welcome to bring anything they wish to contribute (beer, food, cigars, etc...) but it is absolutely not required.

I'm throwing a party! Doesn't that mean I pay for it?

Providence likes this.
  22. JohnSnowNW

Beer Trader

What are friends? :(

In all seriousness...No, no I would not.

23. rather

24. Hanzo

I rarely do this, but I am going to quote myself....I got little reaction out of this statement. I filled it with as much sarcasm as I could...I just want to make sure no one thought I was being serious.

BorisKarloff and jbone78 like this.
  25. josephwa

Beer Trader

What the devil is 120? DFH 120?

26. IPAFan521

Beer Trader

HAHA...I TOTALLY thought you were serious!

27. cosmicevan

Beer Trader

i don't charge directly, however when they get drunk on all them 120 minutes that we drink (i usually water mine down or spill mine into their glasses when they aren't looking) i tactfully start fleecing them by wagering on typical household games. won $50 on a single game of tic tac toe last weekend and have won hundreds over the years playing connect four. in the end i end up making money, but we're all friends so who cares :)

pjs234, jbone78, cavedave and 2 others like this.
  28. BushDoctor

If they are "somewhat into beer," leave it in the cellar and consume yourself.

29. pweis909

It doesn't sound right to me, but I suppose it depends on the type of friendship you have. To me, friends figure out a way to share without trying to profit at each others expense. Example:

Friend: "Hey, I'd like to put together a vertical tasting."
    Me: "Sounds great; what should I bring?"
    Friend: "Nothing but your favorite glass and your big fat ass.;) I want to take care of this one."
    Me: "Fine, but the next one's one me. Shall it be sours or RIS?"

30. pweis909

This might be cheaper than waiting until they pass out to steal their wallets.

cavedave likes this.
  31. evilcatfish

Beer Trader

I would NOT charge my friends for such a tasting. That being said, I'd like to think my buds are cool and would all bring some beers of their own we could enjoy after the 120 tasting

32. cosmicevan

Beer Trader

i take pictures and small phone videos during the games. this way when they come to, i have proof that it was fairly acquired. i use to just lift wallets, but someone caught on so i blamed another guy who was really wasted (boy did he get a beating) and now he isn't in the group anymore. this way at least leaves little to no recourse.

Dracarys and pweis909 like this.
  33. NoMoreBeerBelly

Beer Trader

Charge them, No. Ask them to bring along some other beer, probably. Ask them to clean up their piss and vomit, Yes.

34. djsmith1174

Nothing to the participants. But I'd charge admission to the observers that desired to watch the train wreck that certainly occur following.

35. juliusseizure

Beer Trader

We've reached the point of no return. I think I saw a beer futures trade happen last week. Insanity.

Providence likes this.
  36. SadMachine

Beer Trader

This is my stance on it. I routinely bust out expensive and traded for bottles to share with friends, and have never asked for anything in return. However I am putting together a tasting where I will likely be busting out a few hundred dollars worth of rare/expensive/cellared for years/traded for beer. I was planning on asking for $10-$20 a person depending on how many people/how much beer I provide. I will open it up to people to bring something to share that is rare in lieu of paying, but most of my friends that live nearby aren't BAs (though I have a few), and hence cannot provide much more than shelf beer. I feel like it's perfectly reasonable to ask for some compensation (not fully covering the cost, just relieving some of the financial burden) in a situation like this.

37. daniloknezic

I would not say that you are supposed to shell out 400 bucks to get others drunk. But, basically, if you know they arent going to provide equal beer and you provide it anyway, i dont think you have anything to complain about.

38. daniloknezic

generally, speaking, if i provide beer through normal channels of purchase, mule, trade, ect, i would never charge anyone. if it was something absurd, like i paid 1000 dollars for two years' sents of barrel aged dark lord drink at one tasting, then i would seek equal contributors to share in equal parts.

39. jeevo

Beer Trader

Thinly veiled brag about having friends.

40. DrewLikesBeer

while i think some people skipped over the "I'm NOT going to charge" part, the general consensus here is a huge "not if they are real friends". my tasting group tends to have loosely themed evenings where people bring things over of varying costs/quality/rarity (beatification next to love child next to sour in the rye as an example) for part of our sour night. eventually it all evens out in the long run. if it's not possible to get into the style, food donations are accepted for regular contributors. remember, they are your friends...and they might trade better than you in the future...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe