Would you drink nonalcoholic craft beers if they tasted the same?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cmiller4642, May 2, 2018.

1. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Aspirant (265) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

I would drink a few of the alcoholic beverages to get a nice kind of relaxed feeling and then switch over to them throughout the night.

Honestly I hate the feeling of being drunk, but sometimes these beers get consumed a bit too quickly.

2. DISKORD

DISKORD Aspirant (204) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

No. And I don't think it's possible. There's a reason N/A and Alcohol-Free beers taste the way they do.

3. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (270) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

4. BIGPOPPAS

BIGPOPPAS Disciple (324) Aug 5, 2016 New Jersey

Never !!
    Mehhhhhh :slight_frown:

spongebob2, rudiecantfail and DISKORD like this.
  5. cmiller4642

This is a hypothetical question

6. DISKORD

DISKORD Aspirant (204) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

How would a N/A KBS taste like?

Claude-Irishman and Gajo74 like this.
  7. MNAle

MNAle Savant (979) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

Hypothetical
    ADJECTIVE
    supposed but not necessarily real or true.
    "the hypothetical tenth planet"
    synonyms: theoretical · speculative · conjectured · imagined · made up · unreal
    antonyms: real · actual

So, according to the hypothetical question in the thread title, exactly the same!

My answer is much the same as the OP's...

8. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,317) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

I probably would if they tasted identical because I could enjoy them when working or having to drive places etc. With the effects of ABV gone that opens the door to enjoyment anytime, so for that yes. But honestly I love my beer as is and respect it so honestly I am just fine the way things are. :slight_smile:
    But cool question, I would think most would love it since you get all the flavor and no down side.
    Cheers

Lexicon, George1005, Lucular and 6 others like this.
  9. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (809) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

I would not drink them. Why bother? Part of my wanting to drink beer is to be inebriated to some level, so although I appreciate the taste of beer, wine, and liquor, if they ceased to inebriated me, I'd just drink what I drink the rest of the time. Water.

Alefflicted, ssam, ICTguy21 and 20 others like this.
  10. Dan411

Dan411 Initiate (88) Mar 20, 2017 Missouri

It's an interesting question for sure. But I would not drink them. I couldn't justify the calories (albeit there would be less due to no alcohol), as I try not to drink my calories (outside of beer nights).

11. WadeBridgman

WadeBridgman Aspirant (245) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois

I love beer as much as the next guy but getting drunk is kinda the point, no?

12. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Zealot (568) Sep 2, 2007 Indiana

Absolutely. I would never drink another beer with alcohol in it again.

Not for me.

13. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Champion (820) Oct 17, 2012 Texas

I would definitely drink them as I could now enjoy my favorite (formerly??) adult beverages any time / place!
    Does that mean that I would cease to drink beer with alcohol? Absolutely not.
    I drink beer, first and foremost, because it is delicious. That it makes me feel good too, is a happy byproduct.

14. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

So . . . you're saying you don't drink beer to feel different. You simply prefer the taste of it to other beverages?

That's ridiculous.

15. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

You know what's delicious? Chocolate milk and fruit juice. If you're not drinking beer, primarily, to feel different, you are either super weird or lying.

matthewp, Prep8611, Lahey and 7 others like this.
  16. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (826) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

No, that would be like washing your hands wearing rubber gloves!

Gajo74, leaversuch, Junior and 9 others like this.
  17. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (760) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

I definitely would, but I'd still keep normal alcohol beers around as well. There are times that I just want to have ten beers because they're delicious, but there are other times that I'm looking for the relaxing, mind-altering effects of alcohol.

18. BeanBump

BeanBump Aspirant (244) Dec 14, 2016 California

No. After forcing my body to endure the empty calories and my wallet to endure to price hikes based on ABV, the alcohol is the trade off.

osubeav2003, Gajo74 and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  19. Mvsmvs92

Mvsmvs92 Disciple (367) May 31, 2011 Ohio
    Premium

Just like I tell my 7 yr granddaughter who ask all these what if question.it really doesn't have a valid answer.Cheers,but I would in a perfect world

20. GrumpyGas

GrumpyGas Meyvn (1,203) Apr 7, 2009 Illinois

Absolutely.

OakvilleKGB and thesherrybomber like this.
  21. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (416) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

22. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,979) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

To answer the question posed in the title, no.

23. beer_beer

beer_beer Initiate (172) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Premium

Yes, the more good NA beer there is, the better.

I'm done with the alcohol part, my life quota is kind of filled. No regrets, have explored enough. Still of course understand the buzz about the buzz :wink:

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  24. WadeBridgman

WadeBridgman Aspirant (245) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois

Couldn't agree more

25. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Devotee (494) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Honestly. This is like the difference between Mexican Coke and diet coke.

utopiajane likes this.
  26. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Champion (885) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

That's a tough one. I really don't drink craft beer to get wasted, but then again, I do enjoy that slight buzz every now and then. So... maybe? Would depend on my mood, I guess.

Esch30 and Beer_Economicus like this.
  27. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Devotee (451) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

Yes, if I could continue to enjoy the taste of BB or KBS, to use two examples, without getting completely hammered, I would.

28. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (527) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

My answer would depend on if the calories were the same too. I like to catch a buzz, but I also like to cook, and enjoy wine and bourbon in addition to beer. So something has to give in terms of calorie intake and it would be tough to carve out room for something that doesn't double as a nutrient or buzz delivery system.

In a vacuum though I'd absolutely still drink the NA beer the OP is positing. Beer is legitimately delicious for me.

AlcahueteJ and dcotom like this.
  29. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,428) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

30. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

I don't really think that many people do. I, at least personally, don't ever want to slur my speech and puke on myself. I just want a nice, healthy, happy buzz.

31. laketang

laketang Savant (957) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Premium

No I would not.

bret717, PatrickCT, cavedave and 2 others like this.
  32. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (648) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Why?

There are times I grab one beer and enjoy it and that's it. I get no buzz. If I could do that and not have alcohol in my body I would.

Some like Gatorade some like milk and so on. I would prefer the taste of pseudo sue over any juice or water.

So yes, give me exact tasting non alcohol beer and I'm in as long as it's not more expensive.

Enjoy

33. AWA

AWA Aspirant (216) Jul 22, 2014 California

Good god, no. Don't get me wrong, I understand the allure, but just no. I've worked hard all my life to get to a point where I can drink at work and not impact my billable hours. No way I'm not going to enjoy this.

34. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Crusader (793) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

I think it was Iggy Pop, who when asked about what diet he follows to stay in shape, said something like, “Don’t put anything in your body that doesn’t fill you up or fuck you up.”
    Considering he’s over 70 and still in great shape, my answer to the thread is ‘no’.

Also, the Iggy Pop diet apparently allows heroin, but not cupcakes... :grin:

Jaycase, Lahey, bret717 and 5 others like this.
  35. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,455) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

[​IMG]
    That's an Italian non-alcoholic soda, made to mimic drinking a Campari and soda, and they got pretty damn close. It comes in very handy if I'm planning on driving, or need to do something later without a buzz on. Ultimately, though, as tasty as it is there still feels like there's something missing and not as satisfying as the real deal. That's kind of the way I'd approach non-alcoholic beer- something I would drink on a 'need to' basis, and not something I'd gravitate towards any other time.

Lahey, dcotom, AlcahueteJ and 4 others like this.
  36. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (2,278) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Premium

A double 'Like' here for each point made. I'd drink a zero alcohol beer if the the taste was identical. My liver needs a break.

Lahey likes this.
  37. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

You might not get a buzz, but, whether you realize it or not, you are still getting physiological effects of that one beer. Something as simple as "relaxation" goes a long way.

There's no doubt that there is a "to each their own" aspect to this, but beer is awfully expensive as compared to the alternatives if there is no alcohol or the effects of alcohol involved.

matthewp, Lahey and Squire like this.
  38. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,925) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania

I personally love the flavor of beer, even basic beer, and I'd certainly be on it. In fact I used to drink some NA beers just because I liked the flavor - not as good as the real stuff, but hey, if you can't have the real stuff the NA stuff is 2nd best. I'd rather have NA beer than a cola or fruit soda. Maybe I'm just odd.

39. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,649) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Premium

No. I like the buzz, I like the taste. No NA beer for me

40. cmiller4642

I think people are reading into this wrong. I would drink them sometimes, not exclusively.