US - West Yakima Fresh Hop Fest '21

Discussion in 'Beer Events' started by FLBeerGuy, Jul 30, 2021.

1. FLBeerGuy

FLBeerGuy Meyvn (1,308) Feb 6, 2007 Florida
    Trader

The Fresh Hop Ale Festival (FHAF) was created by Allied Arts of Yakima in 2003. Conceived as a fundraiser for the arts, the Yakima FHAF was an unlikely catalyst for the emerging craft beer explosion. At the festival’s inception, “wet hop” or “fresh hop” beers were almost unheard of. The original lineup of beers included less than 10 breweries.
    Today, the Fresh Hop Ale Festival continues to be held in downtown Yakima Washington hosting more than 60 breweries and seven thousand guests and is recognized by numerous beer publications as one of the nation’s best beer festivals. It is a magical time of year where friends from around the world come to Yakima to sample amazing seasonal fresh hop beers.

https://freshhopalefestival.com/

ChicagoJ and jonphisher like this.
  2. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,865) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Actually, they've moved the location out of downtown this year, making a bit harder to get around to https://freshhopalefestival.com/the-fresh-hop-group-announces-move-in-2021/ . And, for those who care, the Yakima area is below the averages in Covid vaccination rates.

3. FLBeerGuy

Trader

Anybody been in the past? Do they do things like tours to the hop farms? Which would be cool, but the site does not mention anything other than beer fest and music.

4. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Yup, been multiple times (passing this year, mostly for Covid reasons). No organized tours or anything, and harvest is basically over at that point, so there's not much to see. But, hanging out at Bale Breaker, which is located right in the middle of one of their hop yards is always great. There's a few other breweries too, but, the fest is the fest. It's worth hitting up. if you want to make a 10-14 day vacation, Hood River hosts a nice FH fest the week before, which some different breweries. You can drive down to Bend for a few days, or hit PDX/Seattle.

Fly into PDX, hit Hood River (a stop at Pfriem is suggested, and they've got some other good breweries in town), roll down to Bend, back up to Yakima, then over to Seattle for a day or 2, and fly home from Sea-Tac.

sharpski, FLBeerGuy, ChicagoJ and 2 others like this.
  5. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Also, @vurt and @John_M have been, and add their thoughts.

6. FLBeerGuy

Trader

Thanks for the info. Have been to Hood River & did enjoy Pfriem as well as Logdson,

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  7. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,969) Oct 25, 2003 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Hi Terry. I haven't actually ever been to the Yakima Fest (I keep on telling myself "one of these days"), but have been to the Hood River fest probably a dozen or more times. I've also gone to a number of the FH events in PDX, but the Hood River version is my favorite. Weather is usually pretty nice that time of year (though on rare occasions they have gotten rain), and I like the low key vibe. It's in a fairly small setting, with food, wine and art booths as well, and then a good size stage for live music. Typically, there's around 40 or so breweries attending, most of whom bring 2 or 3 FH beers to sample. In the past I used to finish the day with a stop at Double Mountain for some of their excellent pizza and FH beers on draft, but the past 5 or 6 years their FH stuff has been so lousy I've skipped stopping there.

I'm a big fan of pFriem, but I don't know if I'd want to stop in during the fest. The place is pretty much packed all the time even when there isn't a fest going on in town, so my guess is that there will likely be a considerable wait for a table or seat at the bar during the FH fest.

sharpski and BBThunderbolt like this.