Yale Terrace Brewery - Cranford, NJ

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by TheGent, Dec 13, 2017.

1. TheGent

TheGent Meyvn (1,355) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

A new brewery opening up in Cranford. Will be checking it out since it's so close to me.

https://www.ytbrewery.com/

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/bloom...rd-restaurant-owner-expands-business-with-y-1

Per email from brewery:

CRANFORD'S 1ST BREWERY IS FINALLY OPEN !
    Is been a long road to get here but Yale Terrace Brewery is finally open !

We are still planning an official grand opening and will soon have a ribbon cutting ceremony with officials of the great Township of Cranford.
    We just couldn't let you wait any longer to try our beer and check out our brewing process.

YALE TERRACE BREWERY

26 EASTMAN STREET

CRANFORD, NJ 07016

BREWERY TENTATIVE HOURS OF OPERATION :

SUNDAY - TUESDAY : (CLOSED) WE NEED SOME DAYS TO MAKE THIS DELICIOUS BEER.

WEDNESDAY - FRIDAY : 4PM - 12 MIDNIGHT (TASTINGS AND TOURS)
    SATURDAY : 12 NOON - 4PM (TASTINGS AND TOURS)

SHIRTS AND GROWLERS ALSO AVAILABLE

THEY MAKE GREAT GIFTS FOR THE HOLIDAYS !

LuskusDelph and dennis3951 like this.
  2. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (829) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

This is good news, Union County is short on breweries. I'll try to get there the first week they open.

TheGent likes this.
  3. TheGent

Premium Trader

Agreed. Looking forward to checking it out.

4. jake92691

jake92691 Initiate (62) Nov 25, 2014 New Jersey

Planning to check this place out tonight!

TheGent likes this.
  5. TheGent

Premium Trader

Cool! Let us know what you think.

6. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (2,929) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

Very close to where I work. I'm looking forward to a visit!

VABA and TheGent like this.
  7. jake92691

So unfortunately my experience was pretty bad. Had a flight of their brown, ipa, oatmeal stout, and cream ale. The first red flag was when the bartender told me that the brown is a little more sour than normal Browns. The beer tasted like it was infected in a bad way. Same thing goes for the ipa and the cream ale. The ipa tasted like watered down fruit juice and bandaids. The only non infected beer was the stout but it still had a watered down taste to it. I’m sad to say I was really disappointed. I’m willing to give them a chance to fix their issues but I probably won’t be back for several months. I hope those that go in the future have better reviews to post.

8. TheGent

Premium Trader

"a little more sour than a normal brown"

I'm sorry but that really made me chuckle.

In all seriousness though, that's disappointing. I'll check it out one of these coming Saturdays and report back on my experience as well.

HermitDan likes this.
  9. TheGent

Premium Trader

Out of curiosity, did you share this feedback with them?

10. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,335) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

Huh? Kinda strange naming concept given the first statement.

11. jake92691

Had it been a quieter evening for them I might have said something but it was pretty busy.

TheGent likes this.
  12. dennis3951

Sounds to me like they aren't willing to dump beer. If you aren't willing to dump bad beer you should not try to open a brewery. Brewing beer to sell to strangers is not the same as home brewing for yourself and friends.

13. TheGent

Premium Trader

I went earlier this afternoon. Unfortunately, my experience reflects the one described by @jake92691

I tasted four beers:

#30 Erwin Brown Ale
    #161 Main IPA
    #19sw Schwartzbier
    #19v Vermont IPA

The brown ale had a sour element to it without any noticeable malt or hop profile. The sour element did not make the beer undrinkable, but it was sour. It was well carbonated. One of the gentlemen working there was discussing with another patron a previously brewed sour ale, and described the brown as "a slighter version" of the sour. I can't possibly imagine they intended the brown ale to taste the way it did.

The Main IPA had no carbonation. It was like drinking a watered down grape juicy juice.

The Schwartzbier was also flat. You could tell there were some dark malts used in the making of the beer, but it was seriously watered down and flavorless.

The Vermont IPA was flat and tasted like watered down iced tea.

All four beers were offputting and in my opinion should not have been served.

I wish them luck and hope to revisit with a much better experience in the future after they've had time to get settled in.

dennis3951 and JosephThompson like this.
  14. BJC

BJC Initiate (172) Nov 9, 2002 New Jersey

Visited on Saturday

Main IPA was good. I enjoyed the low carbonation and the cold (not frozen) serving temperature. It almost tasted like cask conditioned at JJ BIttings.

Stout was over and under carbonated at the same time. I needs work.

Brown Ale was vile. My pint was exchanged for the IPA.

15. dennis3951

This BA will not be going there anytime soon.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  16. bryantc3

bryantc3 Initiate (145) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey

my guess is that they tried to force out beer as quick as possible on a system they are probably very unfamiliar with, in an attempt to have beer to serve before the holidays. Unfortunately this NEVER works out well. As a new brewery - and new-to-professional brewers who are most likely trying to scale their home brew recipes - there will always be growing pains with plenty of dumped beer.

I can understand WHY they would want to start serving now - but, they're just setting themselves up for disaster. I wouldn't totally write them off though, but i would give them a few months to get their brewery legs under them and familiarized with brewing on a professional system.

17. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,220) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

mikeburd1128, dennis3951 and inkman15 like this.
  18. Chroma914

Chroma914 Initiate (88) Oct 13, 2006 Pennsylvania

Sounds like a stellar start, when do they start canning? Next month?

KingforaDay likes this.
  19. TheGent

Premium Trader

20. I_can_smell_the_hops

I_can_smell_the_hops Initiate (38) Apr 2, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

I'm already in line.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  21. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Defender (639) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

I would expect canning to start a few weeks after their bottle club membership is announced and just before their collab with Dark City is released.

#21 KingforaDay, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  22. inkman15

inkman15 Initiate (152) Oct 28, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

23. dennis3951

That maybe because the women who wrote it is a Real Estate agent!!!

LuskusDelph, SammyJaxxxx and inkman15 like this.
  24. JoRamul

JoRamul Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2017 New Jersey

I am no beer expert by any means. I'm from the area and stopped in for my second time on Sunday. While they have a wide variety of different beers on tap I did notice that some people there may have loved a particular few that others maybe didn't like at all but then they liked different ones. To a novice it just seems there are many different palates out there. You like what you like. I particularly loved the Oatmeal Stout ( can't remember the number they gave it) and both the 161 IPA and the 19v Vermont IPA. I will say the 161 did seem to have low carbonation. I spoke to they guys about this and they explained that they 'carbonate naturally' (I believe that was the term but not positive on that ) They were very friendly and receptive to my carbonation question and comments I had on a couple other beers which I wasn't as fond of. Again, I think its all about what you like. I enjoyed the atmosphere, speaking with the guys who seem to love what they do (Sunday was more of a calm day than my first visit and they were able to talk more). I enjoyed the tour and just learning how beer is made. I will surely return with friends. A great addition to the area !

25. dmac621

dmac621 Initiate (130) Nov 26, 2008 New Jersey

I understand what you are saying and it is very true that different people have different tastes. However when you are making a certain style of beer there are guidelines for everything from the color, to the ABV, to expected aromas and flavors from that style. Sourness in a brown ale is not expected and often indicative of a problem with that beer. If people with more advanced palates from trying many many beers over many years say that the beers are missing the mark I hold those opinions higher than someone who has never stepped foot inside a brewery before or has limited experience trying many different beers.

26. Chroma914

Chroma914 Initiate (88) Oct 13, 2006 Pennsylvania

Sour in a brown ale = we fucked up, so let's call it a quasi flanders brown and not waste the money.

27. NJAdam

NJAdam Initiate (16) Nov 15, 2017 New Jersey

This is dissapointing. Was looking forward to this place opening.

28. JoRamul

JoRamul Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2017 New Jersey

I have been to more than a few breweries, but as I said am far from an expert. I will support them as I support small businesses and because there were many other beers I truly liked. Those on this thread and site I will admit know far more than I ( but I'm learning) and I will therefore assume that you are right with the brown Ale, but as someone else mentioned they are new and I'm guessing everyone isn't perfect in all that they do.

29. dennis3951

How many different beers did they have on tap?

30. jake92691

They had 8 when I was there.

I hope that you continue to support them as they work through their issues. Seems they may have rushed to open so my hope is that they improve as time goes on and that they realize it's ok to dump a bad batch.

dennis3951 likes this.
  31. I_can_smell_the_hops

Trader

I feel bad for these guys but reading the reviews on untappd has been highly entertaining.

Hopefully they'll be able to work out their issues.

32. MattyBlayze

MattyBlayze Initiate (38) Nov 3, 2015 New Jersey

I'll just emphasize what everyone else is writing...

I went there on their first night during their soft opening. If you check Untappd, I'm probably the first (or one of the first) on many of their beers. I had the following:
    • #127 Harrison - This was listed as a Hefe. Had a bit of the banana/bread thing going on, but I should have known I was in for a bad night when I got a bit of a twang.
    • #9 Wellington - This is the raspberry sour. Unfortunately, it would end up being the third most sour beer I'd have that night. I actually didn't think this was bad - a bit sweet, but not super sour
    • #19 Yale - I did not like this, but there was nothing noteworthy
    • Euclid Saison - No idea what # this was supposed to be. Obvious CO2 problem as the pour they gave me was half-filled by the time I went to take a sip. Ended up tasting like flat seltzer.
    • #26 Yale - I actually liked this more than most, but it was still below average, and not otherwise noteworthy
    • #161 Main - I did not like this, but there was nothing noteworthy
    • #24 Yale - This was the Imperial IPA. It was the best beer I had from them, but still average at best
    • #8 Borden - They explained to me that they take barrel chips and use it in the brew to call this their Bourbon Espresso Stout. Either way, it was very infected
    End of the day, I don't understand the claims to give them another try or to give them a break because they're new. This beer was not good at best, and flat out undrinkable in some cases. I understand the pressures of a new brewery, but if you're charging people money for something, it should be top quality.

The worst part is that I see and heard people who clearly know nothing about beer talking about "the uniqueness of the sourness in the Bourbon Espresso Stout" - a beer that is not supposed to be sour in any shape or form. I live extremely close to this so I'm a bit gutted - I would love if it was amazing, but I won't be going back until I see some positive reviews.

33. dennis3951

I guess you are saying that even the unflawed beers aren't worth drinking!

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  34. TheGent

Premium Trader

In addition to posting my experience here I sent a message to YTB via their website. Unfortunately I don't have my original message since it wasn't an actual email but essentially I wrote: "Im not an expert but your brown ale was sour leading me to believe it was infected, and all of your beers had carbonation issue."

YTB Response:

Thank you for your feedback , I have forwarded your email to the brewers.
    While I am no expert either , I will say that I mentioned the brown ale as having a sour taste also. While some didn’t prefer it , 2 brewers from other breweries had it and thought it was the best they had.
    As far as carbonation, that is an issue that they are working on as the beers are self carbonated not a forced carbonation system like most breweries.
    Thanks again for your feedback and I do appreciate your input

My response:

Hi

Thank you for the quick response.

As for the brown ale, that's part of the reason why I wanted to reach out, to understand how the beer is intended to taste. One would not expect a brown ale to have a sour flavor. Unless told otherwise I would view it as a flaw.

I did overhear someone describing it that way to another patron, though I was not told when I ordered it.

YTB Response #2

Your concerns are understood, thanks again and I have sent your email to the brewers

VABA, SammyJaxxxx and dennis3951 like this.
  35. dennis3951

Don't they work in the same building!!!! Aren't the brewers the owners?

36. jake92691

I don't understand why this is a thing. When I think self carbonate I think of the days when I started homebrewing where you add a little corn sugar before bottling to get the yeast to add carbonation in the bottle. This required at least an extra 2 week wait period. As soon as I got a kegerator I stopped doing that altogether and I can carbonate overnight in the keg. Does anyone have an idea as to what they are talking about and why they might think it's advantageous?

bryantc3, TheGent and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  37. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,335) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

Been a "thing" in the US industry since the development of what they called at the time simply "carbonating" beer in the late 19th century:
    ...right up into the beginning decades of the US "craft era" . (Even the homebrewers of the pre-legalization era disparaged the "fizzy/artificially carbonated" industrial beers).

Whether its via krausening, bunging/tank conditioning or bottle-conditioning, brewers who used those "natural" techniques have often promoted it as superior- both macros (AB, Schaefer, Heileman, Rheingold, etc) right up through Sierra Nevada, Anchor, Boston Beer Co. among the first generations of craft.

As someone who got interested in beer and the brewing industry in the 1970s, I'm still a bit surprised at the total reversal of opinion among the geekery re: "forced carbonation".

mikeburd1128, cavedave and BJC like this.
  38. jake92691

Sincerely I thank you because I had no idea there was an opinion towards natural carb. I can forgive their carb problems if it’s just a case of serving too early but can’t forgive infection issues so soon.

BJC likes this.
  39. hopsputin

hopsputin Meyvn (1,304) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey

Has anyone had any updated experiences here? Are they worth a visit?

40. I_can_smell_the_hops

Trader

I have yet to been so I don't have any firsthand experiences. However, from the Untappd reviews, it still seems pretty hit or miss.

hopsputin and SammyJaxxxx like this.