Yazoo Embrace the Funk Fest

Discussion in 'South' started by Mississipping, Apr 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mississipping

Mississipping Devotee (484) Mar 16, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I'm surprised this hasn't popped up yet:

Join us here at the Yazoo Brewery from 12-5pm on Sunday, May 5th, for an afternoon of wild and funky beers! We will feature multiple beer from our new Embrace the Funk series, plus great selection of other funky/wild beers selected by Yazoo staff and Embrace The Funk's own, Brandon Jones. Come Embrace The Funk and enjoy funky cheeses from local artisan cheesmakers selected by "The Bloomy Rind", whild DJ's spin some vinyl funk!

Here's the link to sign up.

Here's the link for more information.

Tickets are $50 and are expected to sell out. Who else is coming and/or crossing state lines for this event? (If so, it's up on the BA Events page ... check in and let's talk about a bottle share or glassware trade.)

2. Brandonbrew

Brandonbrew Initiate (0) Apr 6, 2011 Tennessee

I'll be there! :)

Thanks for posting this...I got scolded by Todd last time I posted something related to the website.

3. callmeishmALE

callmeishmALE Disciple (327) Dec 30, 2010 Colorado

Ah shit yo! That sounds awesome and I hate that I'm busy that day. I'm all about some Tennessee funk. Only had wild child at the winter warmer but am hoping to try some more soon. Hope it all goes well!

4. hopoilcrazy

hopoilcrazy Initiate (35) Aug 24, 2004 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

Bottle Share!! Do you think we could...legally speaking...bring bottles to the event?

Mississipping likes this.
  5. rhizomatic

rhizomatic Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2013 Tennessee

I bought my ticket a few days ago. Really looking forward to this.

Mississipping likes this.
  6. Mississipping

Beer Trader

I'll check with Ivan about that. Either way, a friend and I are making a long weekend of it, and will be bringing bottles to share. We'll have a hotel there, hopefully within walking distance (we're still working out the details), so if all else fails, we could do something there. Depending on the interest, I may have some really nice gems to share! Hell, hopoilcrazy, your birthday is the day before ... got to celebrate, right?

By the way, does anyone have a suggestion on a place to stay near the brewery?

7. ColonelCash

ColonelCash Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2011 Tennessee

You must not disturb Todd's kingdom, 'lest you be scolded.

8. Brandonbrew

Just a few of the beers....

*Yazoo 100% Brett Custersianus Amarillo Double Hopped Ale

*Yazoo Lichtenhainer Style Ale
    *Yazoo 100% Brett Fermented Hibiscus Ale
    *Yazoo Sour Cherry

* Yazoo Drie Day - 100% Brett Fermented Ale aged Grand Marnier Oak.
    * Yazoo/New Belgium Rufus
    * Drie Fonteinen 2012 Oude Geuze
    *Liefmans Goudenband
    *Cantillon Gueuze

*Lost Abbey Saints Devotion With Brett

9. rundownhouse

rundownhouse Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2005 Tennessee

Best Western Music Row is walkable.

10. hopoilcrazy

Beer Trader

Will any of the new Yazoo brews be in bottles? Either way I am incredibly excited, this is probably the best b'day present I will ever get...never thought I would see a sour ale fest in Nashville. Also, will there be non-sour yazoo offerings?

11. Mississipping

Beer Trader

Thanks! I actually booked a room there last night for Sunday. We're staying elsewhere the other nights we'll be in Nashville, but having something within walking distance is key.

12. hopoilcrazy

Beer Trader

I plan on bringing some great ones to Funk Fest. I know for sure that I'm taking along a Seizoen Bretta...maybe 2, HF Anna, Surly Pentagram, Consecration batch 2. I love sours, but I might bring a palate cleanser or two. I just got in some Toppling Goliath Pseudosue, which is actually slightly tangy. Whatever I can fit in my bag I am going to bring, but I am going to feel out the situation before I just go poppin' bottles

13. TheGordianKnot

TheGordianKnot Initiate (81) Apr 2, 2010 Tennessee

Absolutely no poppin bottles inside.. At all... It's unfortunate, but Yazoo could get in huge trouble if it happens

In the parking lot outside before hand is a grey area though. We did it for the Fortuitous release last year, but Yazoo hasn't really given us the ok to do it again.. I may have been told that hanging out before hand and sippin some beer without being an obvious bottle share should be cool.. But who knows.. That said, I'd love to try the PseudoSue if your there early and some bottles get opened!

Brandonbrew likes this.
  14. hopoilcrazy

Beer Trader

Good to know! The last thing I want to do is ruin it for everybody. It's my birthday today and this event is the perfect b'day event. I tried to feel it out with some people, but I got no solid info and I didn't know the laws. I'm probably going to keep the bottles in the car...and see what happens. I love Yazoo and wish no bad juju on them

15. semibaked

semibaked Zealot (565) Mar 27, 2007 Illinois

Bummer I have to miss this, sounds like a blast.

16. hopoilcrazy

Beer Trader

The Funk Fest was so awesome! Cannot wait to try some of those sours again. The Rufus really impressed me as did the Custersianus...fucking awesome. But I think my favorite Yazoo beer was the Drie Day, the Grand Marnier character was so great with the Gerst base. Thanks, Yazoo! Can't wait to attend Funk Fest 2

Brandonbrew likes this.
  17. rhizomatic

rhizomatic Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2013 Tennessee

The Drie Day had a Gerst base? It was probably my favorite of the Yazoos, too. Although I also really liked the Sour Cherry and Rufus a lot. I think the Drie Day was a pretty big hit. Saw a lot of people drinking it and talking about it.

Totally called the Consecration. That was definitely something else. Never actually had anything from Russian River prior to today, but I now understand why Vinnie is held in such high regard here.

And of course the gueuzes from Cantillon and Drie Fonteinen were world-class.

18. hopoilcrazy

Beer Trader

I was so excited to hear the word "Cantillon" so I of course ran in that direction, and then to see that it was a retired beer that I have wanted to try for about a year was such a treat. I wish that I wouldn't have been as drunk as I was so that I could have fully appreciated it.

19. SilverFalcon

SilverFalcon Initiate (148) Dec 7, 2013 Alabama
    Beer Trader

Just bought my tickets. Super excited, have they released what all breweries are going to be there this year?

20. cfaulman

cfaulman Disciple (314) May 1, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Ill be treking up from New Orleans that weekend to attend this years fest. Can't wait! If anyone is interested in any IP trades let me know!

21. jermy

jermy Disciple (300) Mar 30, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Can't make the fest but ISO of a bottle...if you've got one, BM me!

Will also be in memphis this weekend. Anyone that can commit a bottle from this release message me. I have a tent at Hot Wing Festival this Saturday and will be pouring zombie dust, alpha king, perm funeral, war mullet, ninja vs unicorn, jester kings, HFs, and random bottles all day.

#21 jermy, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    CaptainPiret and cfaulman like this.
  22. Volntitan

Volntitan Initiate (0) May 18, 2008 Tennessee

Going to be great. I hadn't thought of bringing any bottles to pop, but not sure why you wouldn't be able to. Folks were doing it, left and right at the Deux Rouges (sp) event.

I heard that a certain lady that hasn't been seen in a long time from a certain brewery from chicago may be there....

23. Mississipping

Beer Trader

Last year a bottle share was not permissible at the brewery, but a group of us did a bottle share afterward at our hotel. We're coming up for the event again this year and are getting a hotel room within walking distance from the brewery, so we could do another share there again this year. Shoot me a message if you have any interest and I'll provide you with location/details. Looking forward to another fun funk fest and after party!

I don't know why this event doesn't get much love in the south. If this funk fest was anywhere else, the tickets would sell out in a flash. After the lineup from last year, I bought tickets the second they went on sale to make sure I could attend again. Yazoo put on a hell of an event last year, the cheese was awesome, the music was fun, and the people were a blast. If tickets are still available, do yourself a favor an join in the funkiness!!

Brandonbrew likes this.
  24. Volntitan

They sold out very fast last year I believe. I think there was an initial flush of buyers this year and then the straggler tickets hung around for a bit. I think they might have like 1 ticket left...

BTW...were you at the Tupelo festival a few weeks ago?

25. Brandonbrew

Hi guys- It is officially sold out!

We've got some really good beers lined up for the day and some neat surprises planned. My friends at other breweries really came through for us this year again. I'm planning on us having at least 10 Yazoo sour or wild beers available plus all the guest breweries. It looks like we will have a bit more beer available this year than last...if you remember last year there was no shortage of good stuff.

Sandor Katz will be speaking for 30-45 minutes which should be a real treat for everyone that chooses to attend his talk.

We can't allow people to bring bottles inside the brewery like we have allowed at bottles releases. The festival is a little different animal when it comes to that stuff. But just trust me that we will have some wonderful beers ready for you as soon as you walk inside.

Here is an event page if you want to join up
    https://www.facebook.com/events/233099606890859/237673776433442/?notif_t=like

cfaulman, WPZY and semibaked like this.
  26. SilverFalcon

Beer Trader

Is there any list of the breweries that will be there this year?

27. Brandonbrew

Hi-
    We are in a way keeping with what we did last year and letting most of the beers/breweries be a surprise. People seemed to enjoy not really knowing all of them and seeing them revealed at the time of serving. I assure you though the list this year is even better than last year. We have let a few of the breweries be known: Wicked Weed, Rivertown and Crooked Stave. All are new to the festival this year =)

jsboots21 likes this.
  28. SilverFalcon

Beer Trader

Awesome. Thank you for your reply. Very much looking forward for it this weekend!

29. jsboots21

jsboots21 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2009 Tennessee

@Brandonbrew are you asking that everyone bring a bottle of Febreze air freshener to dampen the blow? If so, we should coordinate a single flavor. You don't want Cranberry Mist, Fresh Linen, and Honeysuckle Frolic all battling in one room.

30. Brandonbrew

@jsboots21 I'll let you coordinate that...my knowledge on air fresheners isn't as expansive as yours ;)

31. cfaulman

cfaulman Disciple (314) May 1, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Thanks Brandon and Yazoo Staff! Was a fantastic afternoon indeed. Extremely well run, and extremely good beer. Can't wait til next year.

Brandonbrew and jsboots21 like this.
  32. Volntitan

'Twas amazeballs

Brandonbrew and jsboots21 like this.
  33. Brandonbrew

Got started today planning for next year. See you again then!

Swettenham_Shire and WPZY like this.
  34. Swettenham_Shire

Swettenham_Shire Zealot (545) Mar 11, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Big fan of Yazoo. Definitely going to try and go next year.

Are any of the sour bottles available for purchase still? I have a friend going to Nashville this week and he offered to pick up some Yazoo at Midtown Wine & Spirits.

35. memphischas

memphischas Zealot (514) Apr 15, 2008 Tennessee

I was @ Midtown last Saturday. No Yazoo Sours.

36. Volntitan

I think the sours are only available at the brewery. Very limited

semibaked likes this.
  37. TravisSaps

TravisSaps Initiate (129) Feb 3, 2007 Tennessee

I just saw on @yazootaproom on Twitter that for today (Friday, May 23) and Saturday the taproom will be filling growlers of Embrace the Funk Brett Saison for $16. They are open Friday until 8 PM and on Saturday from Noon until 6 PM.

Swettenham_Shire likes this.
  38. MOVERTON1284

MOVERTON1284 Zealot (558) Jul 23, 2014 Alabama
    Beer Trader

Wanted to bring this back up since tickets just went on sale. Several of us coming from Birmingham. Would love to organize a bottle share on Saturday night before the event. Cheers

39. Hollabaugh

Hollabaugh Initiate (130) Jun 11, 2014 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I'm definitely in for a bottle share. I'm local, but have a bunch of De Garde and other NW sours and wild ales I could contribute. Looking forward to see what the offerings will be this year.

40. Volntitan

Let's say last year, there was plenty to try in the parking lot

semibaked likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.