Year-round Oktoberfests/Märzens?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by sefus12, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MgoJohnStamos

MgoJohnStamos Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2013 Michigan

I stockpiled some of Thirsty-Dog's Barktoberfest and Great Lakes Brewing Octoberfest. Both are my absolute favorites!

2. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Pundit (890) Apr 8, 2008 Washington

I may catch some heat for this, but Sam Adams Octoberfest is my favorite Marzen of all time. So malty and sweet. It will probably be out soon too, so I'd wait for that.

Craigory likes this.
  3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Sam Adams Oktoberfest has too much caramel sweetness for my palate but I can certainly understand why some folks would find this beer appealing.

Drink what you like!

Cheers!

KentT, Vonstein15 and RobertColianni like this.
  4. Feel_the_Darkness

Feel_the_Darkness Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2012 Virginia

I'm way partial to Hacker Pschorr's, but I do really love Sammy's iteration. Especially cause every fucking bar on the east coast puts it on tap for months on end once it's released. The best.

5. Bouleboubier

Bouleboubier Grand Pooh-Bah (3,019) Dec 22, 2006 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society

Yeah, the Hacker Pschorr O-fest is my favorite. Then again, I really dig all of their beers I've had.

6. Bouleboubier

Bouleboubier Grand Pooh-Bah (3,019) Dec 22, 2006 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society

Yes, I do know of that Trader Joe's, however, I never find myself up that way (not that it's far). Good to know either way, thanks.

7. Feel_the_Darkness

Feel_the_Darkness Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2012 Virginia

One of my favorite breweries. I enjoy all of their offerings that I'm able to get my hands on here.

8. Providence

Providence Pooh-Bah (2,628) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Such a great beer. Just seeing the name written out makes me want one.

RobertColianni and zid like this.
  9. Handle

Handle Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2009 North Carolina

Same here! I almost didn't mention it, because I know not everyone enjoys smoked beers and its not your "typical" Marzen.

10. sefus12

sefus12 Pundit (884) Sep 7, 2006 Massachusetts
    Trader

Not only are they releasing it in June/July, the one they are releasing is the Wiesn-style that was only available in the liter can/mug package until this year. That is possibly the best Octoberfest I've ever had.

11. tommysagblad

tommysagblad Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2011 Connecticut

Agreed...the absolute best!!

12. Domingo

Domingo Grand Pooh-Bah (4,206) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

The Sam version is a little on the sweet side, but I do like the taste. To me it's almost like a bock, only without the extra strength.
    One weird thing about that beer is that the draft version seems to "turn" pretty quickly. I've been to several places where the lines are clean, but that beer has gone south and soured or turned to a butterscotchy mess when it was fine a week or two earlier. I'm guessing it might be related to all of that malt.

Pegli, JackHorzempa and YamBag like this.
  13. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

I am very glad that you posted that! I have often noticed what I think is diacetyl in Sam Adams Oktoberfest beers. I really dislike diacetyl so when I drink a Sam Adams Oktoberfest that has a butterscotch taste, I don’t enjoy that particular beer.

So, your theory is that this butterscotch flavor develops with the draft beer over time? Have you ever noticed the butterscotch flavor in the bottled versions?

Cheers!

14. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2007 Wisconsin

Was at a local bar here that serves a good deal of German beers (the StienHaus), and had some Paulaner O-Fest on tap last night. Man, it is delicious and I could drink liters upon liters of that stuff. They had a sale on Beck's O-fest last night, I drank Paulaner instead at full price.........

15. Pegli

Pegli Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2006 Rhode Island

I blame it on the crystal malts, Jack. They do not belong in an Octoberfest/Marzen. Sam Adams Oktoberfest is a complete mess IMNSHO.

herrburgess likes this.
  16. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Pundit (897) Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

ayinger all the way. wish it was available more than it is.

fox227 and alexipa like this.
  17. Ragnarok88

Ragnarok88 Initiate (0) May 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Deactivated

Out of all the Oktoberfest beers I had last year the one that sticks out to me was from Millstream. That was about the time I really got into craft beer though, so I'm looking forward to going back to them to see how my palette has changed. Probably my favorite style though, because they drink so well and I love fall. I can't for August when I get to go load up on Pumking and a slew of Oktoberfest beers.

18. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

“I blame it on the crystal malts” Hmmm?

Well, the weird thing for me is that I notice the butterscotch/diacetyl sometimes and sometimes I don’t. I would think that if the crystal malts were the ‘source’ of the butterscotch flavor, I would perceive every time I drink this beer.

Cheers!

19. Pegli

Pegli Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2006 Rhode Island

Maybe it comes through once the hops fade a bit ? I would assume Sam and boys ferment enough lagers (good ones at that) that they've got a handle on diacetyl.

20. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

“Maybe it comes through once the hops fade a bit?” I have always drunk Sam Adams Oktoberfest beers when they were fresh (September/October timeframe), I wouldn’t think that hop fade would be noticeable then.

“I would assume Sam and boys ferment enough lagers (good ones at that) that they've got a handle on diacetyl.” I agree with that statement! Is there something besides diacetyl that will produce a butterscotch flavor in a beer?

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.