Yeast Starter Question

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Manoftyr, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manoftyr

Manoftyr Initiate (0) May 6, 2009 New York

Making a BSDA at about 1.1OG, doing a 4L starter and using a stir-plate; think it'll be good to go after 24hours?

2. ventura78

ventura78 Aspirant (267) Nov 22, 2003 Massachusetts

I've done a number of 18 hour starters with no trouble.

3. hopsandmalt

hopsandmalt Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2006 Michigan

I typically do my starters in 2 stages:
    1) 1000ml wait 48-72 hours
    2) decant, add 1750ml of fresh wort, and pitch 24hours later into 10 gallons.

I think you'll be good after 24 hours, however it will still be activly fermenting so you'll need to pitch the whole thing without decanting off the spent wort. With such a big starter, it may adversly effect your final beer adding all that oxidized stir plate wort.

4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,504) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania

5. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,569) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

How many gallons of beer are you making and how old is your yeast vial/smackpack? A 4 Liter stirplate starter is huge, even for 1.100 OG ale wort.

6. kjyost

kjyost Initiate (0) May 4, 2008 Manitoba (Canada)

Not huge really... A month old smack pack creates ~370 billion cells by yeast calc and a 5.25 gallons of 1.100 needs ~350.

I know a guy that has a 5L flask he runs full due to the number of lagers he makes...

7. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,569) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

That's all true enough. But that's why I asked about batch size and yeast age. For me, month old packs are the exception rather than typical. For example, 5 gallon batch, week old yeast, and now we're talking about 2.6L. The context of the question made me feel like the OP may not have made many starters, so I felt I should ask for more detail.

8. kjyost

kjyost Initiate (0) May 4, 2008 Manitoba (Canada)

For me it's the exact opposite, and at $13 a pack!! Just found another place in town selling for $9, I can't tell you how excited I am.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

No fake news here. Get real beer content delivered to your doorstep every month.

Subscribe