Yeast strains that require a blow off tube

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by blacklabelbrewer, May 26, 2012.

1. blacklabelbrewer

blacklabelbrewer Jan 27, 2011 California

Which strains of yeast do you use that require a blow off tube, and what is your original gravity? Feel free to list ambient temps if available.

*Note: I ask because I'm going to switch to a better bottle as my primary, so if you don't use a BB please note which vessel you use for primary fermentation.

2. NiceFly

NiceFly Dec 22, 2011 Tajikistan

3787. pretty much any gravity. bucket.

3. jmw

jmw Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

I use a blow-off for all because no 2 are alike, even with the same yeast. Better safe.

4. JrGtr

JrGtr Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

I don't use one at all. 7 gallon (to the top) bucket.
    Only once did I have an issue that one may have helped. I used nutrient in the starter and then again in the boil. pretty much blew the lid off. Since then I've just nutriented the starter, and haven't had a problem.

5. inchrisin

inchrisin Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

I use the 6.5 gal ale pales. I use a blow off on all my beers because it's as easy as an air lock to attach. I'd especially recommend a blow off with wheat strains. These are usually fermented about 5F higher than my typical ales. Antifoam is also a great way to avoid fermentation messes.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe