Yellow Kent Goldings - indicative of poor storage?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by pweis909, Nov 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,599) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Supporter Subscriber

I just opened up a couple ounces of "leaf" hop EKGs. I picked these up a month ago at Northern Brewer, so presumably they are 2011 harvest. I almost always use pellet hops but they were out when I was at their store. There is some good aroma, not cheesy, but pretty low in intensity. Is it pretty typical for these hops to be yellow-brown after 1 year of cold, oxygen free storage? Am I seeing the poor storage quality of the hop?

2. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,599) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Supporter Subscriber

Additionally, very seedy.

3. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,291) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

British hops with a lot of seeds is not unusual.

If they don't smell bad, give them a try. EKG is one hop that age is not all that bad on in my experience. I had a pound of EKG that had a lot of yellow and some brown, but made some great British IPAs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.