Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Yellow Kent Goldings - indicative of poor storage?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by pweis909, Nov 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pweis909

pweis909 Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin

I just opened up a couple ounces of "leaf" hop EKGs. I picked these up a month ago at Northern Brewer, so presumably they are 2011 harvest. I almost always use pellet hops but they were out when I was at their store. There is some good aroma, not cheesy, but pretty low in intensity. Is it pretty typical for these hops to be yellow-brown after 1 year of cold, oxygen free storage? Am I seeing the poor storage quality of the hop?
  2. pweis909

pweis909 Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin

Additionally, very seedy.
  3. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

British hops with a lot of seeds is not unusual.

If they don't smell bad, give them a try. EKG is one hop that age is not all that bad on in my experience. I had a pound of EKG that had a lot of yellow and some brown, but made some great British IPAs.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!