Yet Another "Best Craft Breweries" List

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by infuturity83, Dec 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. infuturity83

infuturity83 Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2009 Massachusetts

2. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Once again it's west coast heavy with only two from the east. Dogfish head and cigar city. I am surprised they let michigan in. :wink:

5thOhio likes this.
  3. 1424IpA

1424IpA Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2012 California

No Firestone...?c'mon man!

mcrago likes this.
  4. infuturity83

infuturity83 Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2009 Massachusetts

Ya have to admit, though, it's better than most.

5thOhio likes this.
  5. patto1ro

patto1ro Zealot (598) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

And not one German brewery in the list.

herrburgess and utopiajane like this.
  6. Los1324

Los1324 Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2011 New York

The title of the article is the "15 Best Craft Breweries in America."

5thOhio likes this.
  7. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

round up the usual suspects

5thOhio likes this.
  8. patto1ro

I know, no Czech or Belgian breweries, either.

herrburgess likes this.
  9. whiterabbit

whiterabbit Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2010 Ohio

Just another list of opinions. Not saying they are not worthy, but a lot from Colorado, but none from New York, Pennsylvania, and no Great Lakes? Yes, bit of a homer, but they are solid, one of the original, and have held true to their craft for 25 years.

Too many good ones missed. Better list than some, in all fairness, but you could have a list of the top 50, and you left out someone's favorite that they feel has a right to be there.

5thOhio likes this.
  10. whiterabbit

whiterabbit Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2010 Ohio

:confused:
    No Japanese, Dutch, Jamaican, Russian, or Canadian either. Odd misses for a list of American craft breweries I must admit........

5thOhio and dennis3951 like this.
  11. Los1324

Los1324 Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2011 New York

Am I missing some grand point here? Would you expect an article entitled the "15 best craft breweries in Belgium" to have American breweries on it?

12. Ilovelampandbeer

Ilovelampandbeer Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 New York

i like the list for the most part but i too must admit it is west coast heavy(not that the west coast doesnt have a higher amount of quality breweries) but as far as the top tier u cant tell me hill farmstead, victory, and maine beer co. arent better than rogue cmon now...would have liked to see firestone on there too instead of rogue

13. patto1ro

Come on - a Jamaican brewery in the best 15. Though that McEwan's Strong Ale wasn't bad. Who was it who brewed that? Was it Desnoes and Geddes or Guinness?

herrburgess likes this.
  14. Treezilla

Treezilla Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2013 Colorado

Dogfish is so overrated damn.

15. BradStokley

BradStokley Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2013 Maryland

I tend to agree with you. They've got some great ones, but there's so many misses because they try so many crazy things that are just terrible.

5thOhio and Treezilla like this.
  16. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (471) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I can't really argue with too many on the list, though there are plenty more that are as equally as deserving of a spot.
    I think that Rogue and Dogfish made the list as much as the fact they're innovators rather than them hitting it out of the ballpark every brew. So some of their brews aren't all that good (Rogue Doughnut, most of DFH big bottle series) but they are experimenting and pushing the limits and boundaries of what beer can be.

17. 5thOhio

5thOhio Initiate (0) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

I love this attitude we see from some BAs that it's all good just because they're experimenting.

Actually, no. "Pushing the envelope" just for its own sake isn't good if what you turn out is crap. Why not just add things like, oh, rust flakes? Rutabagas? Hand lotion?

Or a tiny bit of cyanide to the boil? Now that would push the envelope!

I wholly support entrepreneurship and innovation, but there's a difference between experimentation and just plain doing stupid sh*t.

I would even suggest Rogue and DFH do that stuff for marketing purposes to attract attention, but of course we all know craft drinkers are too sophisticated to fall for marketing schemes. That only works on people who drink AALs from the Big Beer companies (aka BMC), right?

18. 12tb

12tb Initiate (0) May 18, 2011 Iowa

I don't know if I've had a single "great" dogfish head brew, and I've had a bunch. They wouldn't be in my top 50.

Treezilla likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.