yet another IPA critique

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by dooleyra, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dooleyra

dooleyra Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2011 California

2. kjyost

kjyost Initiate (0) May 4, 2008 Manitoba (Canada)

Make sure you add that honey after krausen has dropped. Save yourself some of the aromatics that will be scrubbed by boiling & a strong fermentation. Beyond that, looks like and IPA. That and I wish you guys had one for Walker and not that tool La Russa.

3. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,449) Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

i don't know if this comment still bothers people, but it looks like too much crystal malt to me. i'd drop down to 5% ._.

hops look great, very similar to what i do (though my last IPA sucked).

4. dooleyra

dooleyra Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2011 California

what made it suck?

5. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,449) Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

it's hard to say. we don't like the yeast we used, fermentation temperature wasn't well controlled, i think it had hop sludge remnants in it, didn't get the hops we wanted, overly complicated grain bill that probably made things worse, all sorts of failure. just a terrible beer.

edit: we've made simpler IPAs with similar hop schedules to yours and had them come out well though.

6. CBlack85

CBlack85 Crusader (703) Jul 12, 2009 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I would agree that (for my tastes) there is too much crystal malt. Of course, that is a matter of taste. I personally have all but stopped using crystal in my IPA's & APA's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.