Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings!

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Yet another reason to avoid Diacetyl: study links exposure to compound to Alzheimer's

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by wagenvolks, Aug 2, 2012.

1. wagenvolks

Slatetank likes this.
  2. pweis909

Too soon to react to the scientific results, I think. Studies like this always merit further investigation and refinement. Still, I dislike the overt diacetyl I get from microwave popcorn and poorly made lagers; I'll continue to avoid these things based on personal preferences.

3. Jfriz25

Beer Trader

Are there any easy to find commercial beers with diacetyl? I hear about it from time to time but I can't say I've ever run across it (or maybe I have and just didn't know it)

4. jlpred55

Try a Shipyard beer, some are notorious for diacetyl.

5. utahbeerdude

IIRC, Samuel Smith Pale Ale has lots of diacetyl.

6. goodbyesoberday

Something worth remembering is that diacetyl in low levels plays a very important role in balancing the flavour profile of your beer.

Also colour me guilty of not reading the link in question, but i'd bet perceptible levels of diacetyl in beer, even for the sensitive people out there, are well below the levels of the study in question.

7. BigAB

I hate to rip quotes from Redditors, but:
    "I think it's important to note that the study is addressing exposure (via inhalation) at industry worker levels, not of those typically experienced by the average person. Furthermore, diacetyl is a completely natural byproduct of glycolysis. Natural butter flavor in dairy products including butter and cheese is due to the conversion of pyruvate to diacetyl by some strains of lactobacillus bacteria (e.g. L. lactis biovar. diacetylactis)."

Rempo likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe