You guys actually pour beers out?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Warren2621, Aug 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mountingfrustration

mountingfrustration Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2014 Indiana

Count the number of beers you would otherwise dump down the drain and walk one mile for each?

2. DarkerTheBetter

DarkerTheBetter Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2005 Minnesota

Drain pour and tolerance straddle the fine line between finding a beer revolting and unlikeable. I've finished a lot of beers I didn't like, but never one I found revolting.

3. youcantmakeme

youcantmakeme Initiate (0) Aug 22, 2015 California

Not yet but I has been tempting.

4. MuFugga

MuFugga Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2015 Wisconsin

Once in a while I end up buying a four pack of something that I end up not being able to stand. I'll make myself finish it to see if it gets better as it warms and if it doesn't I end up giving it away.

5. BranfordBound

BranfordBound Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2010 Connecticut

Drain pouring is something I only do to intolerable beers. It's my middle finger to the world, if you will, and the whole reason I drink craft beer. I drink this stuff because it tastes good and brings me enjoyment. If I am in my own damn house and a beer I bought with my own money doesn't meet that criteria I will pour it out. Otherwise I am just not living up to the standards that caused me to drink craft in the first place.

Hrodebert likes this.
  6. lester619

lester619 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

Porch bag is the correct term.

7. LennyOvies

LennyOvies Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2015 Mexico

I never pour off beers just because of taste. I only have drain poured like 2 beers, both were IPAs dated 2014, obviously they were completely bland and horrible.

8. jbertsch

jbertsch Poo-Bah (1,593) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

You want me to "suffer" - and think I'm a pussy - because I don't want to finish a beer that tastes like garbage?

9. mudbug

mudbug Defender (622) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

Only in the burbs

lester619 likes this.
  10. lester619

lester619 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

I think the last thing I poured out was that Leinenkugal's ginger Shandy crap someone gave me at a party last Christmas. I'm usually a Leinies defender around here but that shit is truly undrinkable.

11. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (8,349) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

flat out lies right there... :slight_smile:

12. WhoKnew23

WhoKnew23 Initiate (0) Oct 20, 2014 Michigan

Amen.

13. T-RO

T-RO Initiate (125) Nov 9, 2012 New Hampshire
    Trader

"suffer through it" what the fuck for? Pretty sure I have some backup beer.

JayORear and upsbeernut like this.
  14. upsbeernut

upsbeernut Aspirant (281) Sep 22, 2011 Georgia

I stop the drinking process real quick, why struggle?

15. upsbeernut

Just what i said 1 minute ago. Cheers t-ro

T-RO likes this.
  16. upsbeernut

Agree!

17. Alpha309

Alpha309 Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2014 California

I grew up learning not to waste things.

If I spent money on something I will get every single dime's worth out of it.

I will not drain pour a beer I paid for, no matter how bad it is.
    I will not throw away food I do not like. I cooked the recipe, I have to suffer through that meal.
    I will not throw away an item if it breaks, I will try to fix it until it is obvious that it is not repairable. I hated it when I lost a spring to my bottle filler, and the homebrew shop didn't carry replacements, and instead told me I had to just buy a whole new one. And it was only $3.

18. upsbeernut

Dam , who beat you as a child and are you a millionaire?

19. Alpha309

Alpha309 Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2014 California

Nope to both. My parents just don't like waste and it has rubbed off on me.

20. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (3,224) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society

Done it twice in my lifetime:

First time was with an old bottle of Unearthly (an IPA I don't care for to begin with). It was about 10 months old and tasted like bad pineapple juice. Not going to finish that.

The second was Stone's Punishment. I wanted to finish it, I really did. But I couldn't. I couldn't finish a glass. I got through about 3/4ths of a pint before giving up. My mouth was on fire and I was just not enjoying myself.

Other than that, I try my absolute damndest to get through it.

21. VikingBeer

VikingBeer Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2007 Kentucky

I've read a ton of replies, and have yet to see anyone give a valid reason, other than respect/politeness for drinking something one detests. No, I'm not normally going to toss a beer simply because it's "not my thing," but I'll give it someone to whom it's more suited to finish, then get something else for myself. Also, if I'm at a brewery having their beer, I'm going to be polite and finish what's handed to me, unless it's flat-out infected or something that's going to make me ill. That said, I have no problem with tossing a beer that is clearly old and "stale' tasting, or infected, or just tastes so disgusting to me that I can't finish it or foist it on someone else. I can count, from the thousand-plus beers I've had, maybe five that I've tossed, including a horribly infected "Expedition Stout"; the only kne I can think of having tossed purely for taste was a bottle of "Midas Touch" that was so disgustingly sweet it literally made me gag.

22. upsbeernut

Thats a good thing believe me , my mom and dad were the same way they died 5 and 7 years ago in their 80's. Im 57 and to this date have been a spender.

23. sinkas

sinkas Initiate (92) Jul 9, 2008 Australia

A lot of the "specialty" beers here in Australia are shithouse,
    and many of the American imports are ultra stale,
    so quite regularly,
    if it isn't pleasant,
    it'll go on the veggie patch.

upsbeernut likes this.
  24. shuntstout

shuntstout Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2010 New Mexico

The only brews I drain pour are ones that are extremely oxidized and taste like metal and rust.. otherwise if its what the beer should taste like ill normally suffer through it. maybe one or 2 occasions where I said fuck this beer and dumped it. Actually, the last one was a 2013 Southern Charred. Just didn't hold up. Way too much oxidization

25. Kman_Colorado

Kman_Colorado Disciple (341) Aug 17, 2014 Colorado
    Society

Rarely. If I still have more bottles then I save them for a homemade lawn tonic. Mix beer, coke, mouthwash, ammonia, dish soap and other stuff I can't remember at this moment and spray onto the lawn. Supposed to help it, but truth be told I can't tell if it works.

26. misternebbie

misternebbie Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

Nope, unwanted beers are why God created neighbors and second cousins.

Avelasquez80 likes this.
  27. ArsMoriendiOU818

ArsMoriendiOU818 Zealot (559) Nov 5, 2013 Virginia
    Society

I literally drain poured this a few hours ago. It is atrocious. It wasn't skunked at all, so I believe it tasted the way it was intended, which isn't good. It got worse with every sip. I've only had a handful of drain pours in my life.

28. esimonoff

esimonoff Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2014 California

The only things I have ever "drain-poured" were a several-years-old case of Coors Light (which nobody ever had any intention of drinking in the first place) that my parents just needed to get rid of (so we just opened cans, poured, and bagged for recycling) and the few times I haven't finished a growler of something in a reasonable amount of time. I usually try to be especially conscientious about what beers I acquire, so there is never a beer I have that is so bad I won't drink it.

29. hophugger

hophugger Poo-Bah (2,455) Mar 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society

1017 different beers and counting.....Only one drain pour was New Planet Gluten free pale made from sourghum and brown rice extract. God awful. Other than that, its usually never that bad that I have to pour it out...Suck it up !!!!!!

30. Hoos78

Hoos78 Disciple (303) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

??? - I don't know that I've ever read such a concise contradiction.

BrettHead, T-Bird and Nick_Bousquet like this.
  31. JISurfer

JISurfer Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2002 South Carolina

I recently poured out a bottle of 3 Brothers rum barrel aged Blonde. My stupid phone wasn't working when I was in the store, so I got it, thinking it was a much better beer. It tasted like bile and finger nail polish, with an underlying fetid finish of putrid garbage water (tasted like it smells). It really hurt to do that, because it was $18 a bottle! It takes a lot for me to pay that much for a beer too. I probably won't be buying anymore of their stuff unless I have internet access.

32. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (5,060) Dec 25, 2003 California
    Society

If it makes you gag use it to kill snails but there is no reason to force down something you hate.

33. Savan

Savan Disciple (312) Jul 2, 2014 Minnesota

Pigs Eye Ice..... Vile.... also was not a fan of Third street "bitter Neighbor", which I could not get anyone else to finish. I also confess, Horny Goat "Tango Delta". There is a rare point for me where i will dump a beer, Having not paid for two of the three made it seem O.K. ... that being said, I do not prefer to dump beer. If i have shit beer i get atleast half way through before i dump, and often i find its perfectly good to cook with yet :grinning:

34. bobhits

bobhits Meyvn (1,268) Oct 31, 2006 Kentucky

I drain pour anything that's high abv if it's not my first beer and it's not good. I've poured out a lot of expensive beer and have no regrets.

35. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,102) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Friday I drain poured 11 full bottles of Redds Apple Ale my bitch ex wife left behind in a lower layer of the hoard. Don't know how fucked up this makes me, but I enjoyed doing it immensely.

36. DVMin98

DVMin98 Poo-Bah (4,200) Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

If I bought a sandwich and it sucked, I would dump that beeyatch right in the trash. If I bought a beer that sucked, I would dump that beeyatch right in the sink, unless Im smoking some meat, then I'd save it for the water pan.

37. BernieO

BernieO Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2015 California

B**** Creek ESB and sadly Stickee Monkee. I shared the Stickee with my cousins. They liked it, however I had to pour the rest of mine down the drain. Came to realize I don't like Barley Wine.

38. stickboy1125

stickboy1125 Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Virginia
    Deactivated

I'm a 'freaking puss' if I don't finish a beer that I don't like?? Also, there are plenty of things in life that people are better off suffering through but drinking beer isn't one of those things, it's supposed to be enjoyable. If you find the need to 'suffer through' beer, then you might have a drinking problem.

39. meb3476

meb3476 Aspirant (206) Apr 1, 2013 Massachusetts

I don't understand why it's so hard to believe that people pour out beers. If it doesn't taste good I'm not drinking it. It's that simple. Getting drunk isn't my agenda.

40. Nick_Bousquet

Nick_Bousquet Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2014 Virginia

^ THAT. I drink good beer to enjoy good beer. If I'm not enjoying the beer then I don't waste my time "powering through". I cut my losses, pour that crap out, and open something else so that I can actually enjoy the experience. If you are setting out to get drunk then pouring out doesn't make sense, but when it comes to beers I buy for taste that is not my end goal.

I would add that it remains a rare occurrence that I pour anything out, but it has happened once or twice. Nothing of note, just crappy locals I picked up to try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.