Young's Double Chocolate Stout: Decline in flavor?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 57md, Feb 29, 2020.

1. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (2,983) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

Lately, I have had the urge to revisit some old favorites that I haven't had for years.

In that spirit, I picked up a four-pack of Youngs Double Choc.Stout in the 16 oz nitro cans. I hate to say it, but I was disappointed in what I perceived to be a decline in flavor. The chocolate flavor particularly seems diminished.

I know that years ago, they reduced the abv by over 1%. I wonder if that led to a corresponding loss of flavor.

Has anyone else felt that this beer has changed for the worse?

Greywulfken and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  2. billandsuz

billandsuz Devotee (442) Sep 1, 2004 New York

When the name of the beer was shortened from Young's Luxury Double Chocolate Stout to just plain old Double Chocolate Stout it became ordinary Chocolate Stout and not nearly as luxurious. Even if it is still Double.

Also not really a nitro beer, never was, but I guess the shirts in the marketing department thought they knew how to make a stout better than the brewers do and, well, there you have it.

Cheers

3. lightman1

lightman1 Initiate (88) Oct 19, 2013 Arkansas
    Trader

I didn't care for the nitro in the can. I much preferred the bottle. Its one of my favorites and I always try to have a few in the fridge.

beergoot, KentT and Greywulfken like this.
  4. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,666) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

I'm a bigger fan of the bottled version too, always tastes more rich to me.

beergoot, eppCOS, Greywulfken and 3 others like this.
  5. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,994) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Been years since I’ve had it but remembering really liking it. I’ve been going back and trying old favorites. Sometimes they taste less, sometimes better, sometimes exactly how I remember them.

6. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,720) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Get it without the Nitro next time, in the 500 ml bottle, huge difference. Nitro will always mute the flavors.

Edit: Not to say the bottled CO2 version hasn't changed either, it might have. Also, it still won't be like some of the newer stouts that are being made by American craft breweries with chocolate, as those tend to be just liquid Hershey's syrup to me.

#6 champ103, Feb 29, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  7. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,382) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Never enjoyed this beer

8. Insomniac

Insomniac Initiate (120) Nov 5, 2019 Canada

I had a similar experience while revisiting it a couple of years ago after about a ten year hiatus. After thinking about it, I concluded that it wasn’t the beer that had changed, rather my perceptions. In the decade without it, I was exposed to many other chocolate stouts of very high quality, so my experience with Young’s was diminished as a result. I’ve had similar experiences with long breaks from other styles as well.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  9. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,189) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

Have always enjoyed this beer, but don't drink it too often now and have mainly had it in bottles. I'm pretty sure I had it on tap (not nitro) last year and really enjoyed it.

Bitterbill and Greywulfken like this.
  10. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (811) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Had one in 2012 from notes. I hated it. Thoughts were it tasted like Hershey chocolate syrup, it was a can.

Enjoy

11. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,888) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Had these last night in WBAYDN...
    [​IMG]
    And I said then what you're all saying now...
    [​IMG]
    The nitro tallboy format diminishes the beer's nature - too much like a Guinness nitro - not that I dislike the Guinness nitro - opposite, in fact - but that's just not what I look for in a Young's DCS - so I mean, I still enjoyed them, but clearly we've lost some of the chocolaty richness in exchange for creamy smoothness...

12. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (2,461) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society

The Nitro cans are always decently priced and absurdly drinkable, but I put them roughly on the same level as Murphy's or Guinness (as Greywulfken mentioned).

The bottles are on a completely different level, in my opinion. Young's Double Chocolate Stout was one of the earliest stouts I ever tried and I loved it. Still a great beer.

rtrasr and beergoot like this.
  13. KentT

KentT Aspirant (230) Oct 15, 2008 Tennessee

Bottled is superior to the Nitro cans. I drink it bottled on occasion.

beergoot likes this.
  14. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (515) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

Once the Ram Brewery closed, Youngs was done. The merge w/Wells killed off an original who's line up was better than Samuel Smith's and now I'm left w/this pale attempt.

15. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (160) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

IMO it became bested by better tasting offerings like Rogue's Double Chocolate Stout or Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout. Hard to come back from either of those and go back to Young's easily. Nitro or not, Youngs was one of the most popular back in the day, always next to it's Banana bread brother from another mother but I keep finding myself able to convert fans over to the other more chocolaty flavored beers out there and they hardly come back.

TheEpeeist and Bitterbill like this.
  16. rtrasr

rtrasr Disciple (326) Feb 16, 2009 Arkansas

One of first stouts that I had. I thought was so much more than Guiness at the time. It has been a long time since I've had one. Now I have to find it. Won't be hard since my local brewpub carries it on tap regularly.

17. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,158) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

I get where you're coming from and I don't really disagree. I just wanted to point out that Rogue Double Chocolate Stout is a 9% imperial stout and Young's Double Chocolate stout is your average English stout @ 5% abv. Not really similar at all, in my opinion...."regular" Rogue Chocolate Stout would be closer as a comparison (but still very different flavor-wise).

Speaking of Rogue Chocolate Stout, I haven't seen that beer in a very long time. I can't believe they never put it into 6 packs or 4 packs.

18. Beer_Stan

Trader

I was mentioning based solely on the chocolatiness of the brews not really the other factors, just taste and texture that I and my customers were looking for. They are really good when it comes to flavor. Youngs will always be the OG people remember from yesteryear but i feel like it's generally been dethroned as the de facto go to chocolate beer it once was. Like a lot of legacy brews out there that were famous/infamous for being ground breaking or different at a time of possible stagnation in the beer world I wasn't old enough to take part in. I didn't bring up the regular Rogue Choc Stout because incidentally I thought it to be, not that great of a beer in the chocolate beer realm. But that's just like...my opinion man. :wink:

19. tzieser

Trader

Gotcha, just sharing my perspective. I haven’t had any of the beers mentioned for several years anyway lol. Cheers

20. Beer_Stan

Trader

I know, sorry, my verbosity comes off as if I'm irritable. I gotta work on how I reply to people. I feel like I come off as an ass without ever intending to. Cheers man, may we both have wonderful beers in our near future.

tzieser likes this.
  21. tzieser

Trader

You’re good, I didn’t take it the wrong way. Happens to me all the time though, when just trying to have a beer discussion suddenly devolves into arguments and/or pissing contests. That’s why I really hate the English language sometimes; nuances are lost in text unless you’re really meticulous with the way you write (and I am definitely not meticulous). My comment could’ve easily misinterpreted as if I said

“Lol U iDIoT RoGUE dOuBLe CHoCOLaTe SToUT IS LEIK 15% abv Loool u r such a dummy”

anyway, cheers cya around

Beer_Stan likes this.
  22. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2018 New York

Had a can in December and thought it was awesome - but I like Nitro beers, in general, and will trade in some flavor intensity for a smooth creamy beer as a treat now and again.

New packaging looks good

Warwick7 likes this.
  23. Warwick7

Warwick7 Initiate (82) May 25, 2019 Maryland

Havent seen the new packaging yet though I ordered a case today, well see what design it Is. The Golden ram design is my favorite but The new design is alright.

I love this Ale in can and I like that the chocolate is minimal but Im looking for an English Stout and less of a flavoured ale. Let it warm up and you taste the malt well and you have the smoothess from tight head and less carbonation. I wish there more English Stouts but even though there is only a special few Im still happy with Young.

24. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,888) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

After my nitro tallboy purchase - which I thoroughly enjoyed, though I did not get the "double chocolate" experience I was expecting - I took this trending apocalypse as an opportunity to come back to the product I had in mind...
    [​IMG]
    It's a completely different product! lol The minute I poured it into the pint, I picked up a rich, dry chocolaty aroma - and on the sip, way more cocoa, and (of course?) an extremely different feel: this felt like a beer, the nitro feels like a smoothie... Wish they could combine the two: gimme the aroma and flavor of the bottle, but also the crazy creaminess of the nitro tallboy... but lest you think I'm taking anything away from this beer - get the fuck outta here! lol - a classic brew that everyone has got to try at some point - wish I had a nitro can now, too - I could kinda mash 'em together... Anyways, what was I saying? :grin:

Cheers; and be smart, stay safe...