Your Chance to By Expired 113 IPA Tomorrow!!!

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by tubbnik, Jan 11, 2013.

1. tubbnik

tubbnik Apr 21, 2006 Pennsylvania

From the site: http://www.slyfoxbeer.com/index.php/front/news/

"We have some cases that are just barely out of code which we'd
    planned to destroy, but the beer still tastes wonderful. So we will be selling bottles for $1.13."

oh jeez

2. phishphorce

phishphorce Aug 4, 2011 Pennsylvania

MMMMM Tasty expired IPA. Sign me up.

skinsfan likes this.
  3. smutty33

smutty33 Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut

I thought the offer was gonna be........

Free! Just stop by and pick it up!(Being that we were gonna destroy them anyway)

Cheers

Centennial and skinsfan like this.
  4. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Dec 9, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I hope someone at Sly Fox actually tasted the beer. But $1.13 just to match the name of the beer? Pretty lame if you ask me.

skinsfan likes this.
  5. skinsfan

skinsfan May 24, 2005 Maryland
    Beer Trader

That is terrible. I can just imagine pulling up to buy some, seeing a guy in the back of the brewery with a case held over his head ready to smash it into the ground, then sayin, "Oh wait, you want to buy a bottle of this old beer that I was about to spread all over the parking lot? Great, that will $1.13. Oh, and by the way, it still drinking fantastic, so enjoy!" What a load of crap.

Oh, and thank goodness they are limiting it to only 12 bottles per person! Got to make sure to spread out the old beer we were about to destroy for everyone. haha. Nonsense.

dazedandconfused likes this.
  6. jrnyc

jrnyc Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

What does it normally cost? $1.13 for beer they were going to throw away hardly seems like a deal? Can I get the fresh stuff for $1.25?

7. philabrew

philabrew Aug 14, 2003 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

They say it still drinks "great" in the announcement on their site and they are 22oz bottles, not 12oz. So a case of 22's for ~13.50 plus tax isn't all that bad. Too bad it's 113, and old 113 to boot. meh.

victory4me likes this.
  8. DaGrizz

DaGrizz Feb 22, 2012 New Jersey

Think we will be seeing them extending the shelf life of this beer with their next bottling session?

9. tubbnik

tubbnik Apr 21, 2006 Pennsylvania

Their Facebook post says bottled on date was 12/22/11.

10. DaGrizz

DaGrizz Feb 22, 2012 New Jersey

So, they run 1 year on their bottling most likely then. So, this is 1+ year old IPA? WOW! No wonder it tastes no different. haha

11. dmac621

dmac621 Nov 26, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

At that price if I was close I would grab a bomber or two but a whole case not likely.

12. jesskidden

jesskidden Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

I don't know, between all the posts I read from people complaining about the lack of clear, legible dates on beers AND the posts complaining about older beers that are past or approaching their pull dates not being marked down in price, I find this sale sort of refreshing. Isn't it what both groups are asking for? Clearly dated and older beer sold at a discount? Certainly no one can complain about "accidentally" buying this old beer and, given that the bottled beer is probably available for on-premise consumption (along with the casks), one can always sample it before buying a case of it (or, buy a bottle, run out to your car - look around the parking lot - and try some there).

Sly Fox's canned beers are given a 5 month pull date, surprised at the 1 year on the bottles of Rt. 113 IPA. Sad that the brewery obviously knows their date coding mechanism on their canning line is often defective - most of the sixpacks I see on the shelves are totally missing the code or it's distorted, smeared illegible mess. My last case of Pikeland Pils had exactly ONE can where the date was clearly readable.

13. victory4me

victory4me Oct 16, 2004 Pennsylvania

I love Sly Fox, but I'll pass on 113 or Odyssey, which are neither my cup of tea.

Although, I'd rather drink year old 113 than year old Sculpin any day.

14. foureyedgeek

foureyedgeek Apr 19, 2006 Pennsylvania

I like 113 fresh and in the can, not sure about old bottles. That said, there is distributor here that still has a case of bombers from at least two years ago stickered at full price.

15. John_M

John_M Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Beer Trader

I think what has everyone annoyed is the initial comment that they planned to destroy it. IMHO, that was probably an, ahem, unwise admission to make. They were willing to take a complete loss on the beer, but apparently someone then came up with the bright idea of selling it at a big discount instead. As a consumer, I know what crosses my mind when I hear a brewery state they plan to destroy a bunch of beer. If they subsequently decide not to destroy it after all and to try to sell it, what crosses your mind at that point?

Seen in that light, their subsequent comment that the beer "still tastes wonderful" sounds like a complete load of BS. So while I generally agree with you Jesskidden, I think SlyFox could have handled this a bit bettr than they did. If they had just left out the comment about originally planning to destroy all that beer, I think most people would have been patting them on the back and praising their generousity. Frankly, I don't really think SlyFox is doing anything underhanded here, but I definitely think they could have handled this situation better. It sounds like they could probably use a better PR guy/gal than the one they have now. :)

skinsfan likes this.
  16. warriorsoul

warriorsoul Aug 3, 2004 Pennsylvania

They sold out of the cases very quick. I don't even know if they advertised these on site as being a year old, but mission accomplished. I went to watch some football and the $1.13 cask of 113 was an added bonus. The Rauch Bier kicked ass.

17. schteve

schteve Sep 10, 2003 New Jersey

What could they have said that would not have caused gripes? If they left out the part about being destroyed, what were we going to assume that they were going to do with all of these OOD bottles? I don't see any harm in them being forthright concerning the situation.

drtth likes this.
  18. John_M

Moderator Beer Trader

If it had been me, I would have simply stated that the beer was past its code date, and that even though the beer still tasted fine (or delicious), they could not in good conscious sell it at its original retail price. Therefore, they planned to offer it at a signficantly discounted price.

Shrug. Perhaps you feel differently, but when I hear a brewery stating that they plan to destroy beer (which personally, I consider a pretty drastic measure), that tells me the brewery feels there is something pretty seriously wrong with it. When they then tell me that they've changed their mind, that they plan to go ahead and sell it instead, that makes me think that they're hoping to recoup a few extra bucks on the beer, despite some pretty signficant flaws. At least that's certainly the appearance one could derive from such an action and/or statement.

Both scenarios, I think, represent examples of a brewery being forthright as you put it. Scenario number one, I think, puts Slyfox in a much more favorable light than scenario number two. My guess is there would have been few, if any, complaints if Slyfox had simply left out their original plan to destroy the beer.

skinsfan likes this.
  19. schteve

I can appreciate your point of view, and it's really just marketing semantics, but I still think people would've assumed that the beer was being destroyed. What else were they going to do with it? I don't think area shelters can accept it. ;-)

Your approach is more "We had to take Tramp to the country and now he's happy and lives on a farm." vs. "The dog was sick so we had to put 'em down". If it makes you feel better to picture no beers getting harmed, that's cool.

20. skinsfan

skinsfan May 24, 2005 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Both you and johnmichaelsen made good points. I can definitely appreciate where Sly Fox was coming from on this, but I thought what made it so funny was to specifically use the word destroy. But you're right, what the heck else were they going to do with it?

Hell, whether they were planning on destroying it, bathing in it, washing their car with it, feeding horses with it, sending it to the Pope to try, etc. I could care less, because I am not in the business of buying a year old IPA from anyone, regardless of how much it is discounted.

21. John_M

Moderator Beer Trader

It doesn't sound as if we're going to agree on this (which is cool; no big deal on that), because I think it's more than just semantics.

Frankly, I think Slyfox did absolutely the right thing in this case, and I applaud their action. From my experience, most beer doesn't suddenly go bad on the "drink by" date, or the code date, so I really don't see any reason to dump it down the drain. Still, the beer is likely not as good as it was fresh, so knocking the price down a few bucks seems like a smart, not to mention fair, move.

What's annoying, and what I think we've all seen in the past, are those breweries or stores that, all of sudden and for no apparent reason, offer a beer at a discount without providing any explanation. Then when you point out the beer is out of code, they act as if that's a complete coincidence, and why is the buyer making such a big deal out of it. I believe that was the point behind Jesskidden's post; I believe he was suggesting that we should applaud Slyfox for their transparency (a point of view I agree with).

That being said, telling me that you planned to destroy a beer (presumably because it's no good, not just "not as good"), but that you've now changed your mind and plan to sell it to me instead (albeit at a big discount). At least to me, that sends a bad message. The beer was sooooo bad that you have to destroy it, but now you want to sell it to me? If the beer really is still fine, why say something like that to begin with? My feeling is that it was a mistake for SlyFox to ever suggest that it was their original intent to just dump it down the drain and eat the loss.

As for Skinsfan's position, that's my poistion as well. However, I also realize that not everyone is as crazy about fresh product as I am, and I also realize that many customers are willing to make a concession in order to get a great deal. I still wouldn't go for it, but I can absolutely understand why some folks would (and would appreciate the opportunity to take advantage of a deal like this).

skinsfan likes this.
  22. schteve

I guess I didn't think they were saying that it was "sooooo bad that we (sic) have to destroy it", more of a "we got a bunch of OOD beer here, what do with do with it? Here are two options..." But I guess that's where our interpretation differs. Opinions and all that...

I too prefer a fresh IPA (as well as other styles), but I'd drink a year old 113 if someone handed it to me.

drtth and skinsfan like this.
  23. jesskidden

Subscriber

Yeah, I see your point - OTOH, what do people think happens to pulled beer? There aren't many options - if the quantity is large enough, it is sometimes distilled for industrial alcohol (I believe this is what happened to all those caffeinated malt beverages like Four Loko when they were outlawed - "Hey, does this CVS rubbing alcohol smell like kiwi-lime to you a little bit?") but I assume the amount of beer involved here was nowhere near that amount. It's not like the local food banks are looking for bombers of IPA (I think;)).

Otherwise, they'd have to dispose of it following TTB and PLCB regulations and local laws in respect to bottle and corrugated recycling, and local sewage authority rules, paying employees to do the hand labor, etc. And, probably, that would be more expensive than selling these at what appears to be a "loss" (the packaging, ingredient and labor costs together are more than likely more than $1.13).

It's similar to people on brewery tours impressed when a brewery notes that they give away their spent grain to local farmers who come and pick it up on a routine basis. (Something that's been done in the industry before the phrase "being green" ever meant anything beside a color or envy.) Yes, nice for the farmer (and the livestock) but it actually is saving the brewery the cost of paying a hauler to take it to a dump and whatever the dump might charge, and following whatever EPA rules might be involved, etc.

drtth likes this.
  24. drtth

drtth Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

What crosses my mind is that the brewery folks have tasted it, thought it was still drinkable, and rather than doing what they normally do (e.g. Hauling it to a land fill) they are giving their friends, neighbors, and customers who are local and enjoy their beers a shot at a good deal after making it completely clear why it's going on sale. It also crosses my mind that someone has a good sense of humor in setting the price. They could have set it higher and still sold out that beer.

25. drtth

But everybody knows OOC beer normally gets destroyed. That is the fate of beer. It is either sold and consumed or it is destroyed.

26. drtth

Strikes me as showing the folks at the brewery have a keen sense of humor! :)

27. John_M

Moderator Beer Trader

Actually, I did not know that. From what I've read, many (most?) retail stores don't abide by any such rule. Frankly, I thought what SlyFox did in this case (aside from the comment about their plans to destroy the beer) made much more sense. They sampled the beer, decided it was still OK, and decided to go ahead and sell it, albeit at a considerable discount. Assuming such an action isn't illegal for some reason, I would have assumed that this is what most breweries do (that, or give it away to employees, friends, etc.).

28. shadowane

shadowane Sep 7, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I think if you destroy the beer, it can become a tax write off. Not sure what happens if you sell it at a discount. Not an accountant or tax lawyer, though, so this may just be hearsay.

29. jesskidden

Subscriber

It wouldn't be a 'rule' that retailers would have to follow - it would be the case for beer removed from the retail shelves for credit/refund by distributors (or breweries, in self-distribution states). In most cases, the breweries don't want the beer back and certainly don't want to pay the freight cost for returns, so the distributors are expected - usually by contract - to destroy it (or sometimes give it away to employees, etc). I've also heard of distributors giving the credit/replacement beer to retailers and having them agree to destroy (or take home) the old stuff, as long as they don't try to sell it.

In this situation, not sure if Sly Fox self-dist's in their regional market or if these cases ever made it out to distributors and were subsequently returned, etc. If the beer was really over a year old it would seem unlikely that it sat at Sly Fox's facilities for that long a period.

Some states do have laws prohibiting beer from being sold at less than the wholesale price, which is why retailers marking down out of code beer isn't universal. Also, typically it's not their responsibility to do so - the distributors are responsible for keeping the shelves stocked with fresh beer and pulling the old stock. But, like most other beer topics, the actual procedure is going to vary, brewery to brewery, distributor to distributor and based on individual state ABC laws, and, sadly, the what is supposed to happen isn't always the practice.

drtth likes this.
  30. jesskidden

Subscriber

For typical examples within the industry, some older contract and legal language (it would be interesting to confirm if the same sort of terms exist between most craft breweries and their wholesalers):

31. warriorsoul

warriorsoul Aug 3, 2004 Pennsylvania

It was also Jan. 13th, so there's that.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe