Your "Dear John" letter to a beer destination

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cavedave, Jan 11, 2018.

1. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,356) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Here is mine:

Dear Vermont;

I have loved you for a long time. For skiing back when I was a ski bum. For the beauty of your state. And for the last ten years for the great beer made in your state. I have put up with your attitudes to me, that condescending attitude of having to suffer my presence, your grudging endurance of having to take my money though you wish I would just go back home. The looks you give me when you hear I don't have the same accent as you have. I put up with it all for all these years because I truly love your beer. No more. You will be happy to know I am staying home and you won't have to put up with me any more.

I am breaking up with you, Vermont. The local beer around here now is just as good. In fact, it has gotten even better. I can't tell you how nice it is to be on friendly terms with the makers and sellers of this beer, the gratitude I receive, the feeling I am a valued customer, not some alien interloper. I can't tell you how great it is now that I don't have to endure your attitudes, not to mention the long drive I had to make to get a cold shoulder from you while I dropped lots of NY money on you. I am breaking up with you, and I won't be back. I'm sure you won't miss my money. I'm sure I won't miss your attitudes. Goodbye Vermont, goodbye forever.

How about you? Do you want to send a "Dear John" letter to some 'beer destination' now that you can get beer just as good from friendly folks at home? If so, what would your letter look like?
  2. rozzom

rozzom Defender (642) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

@guinness77 - cavedave just went and made a purpose built thread
    tzieser, woemad, DaverCS and 3 others like this.
  3. zid

zid Savant (908) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

@cavedave , I seem to remember you talking of retiring there at one point... but that was then. I guess you're glad your retirement came a little later than expected. Dodged a bullet? :slight_smile:
  4. rozzom

Beer Trader

Lol - the beer gods were really listening today
    woemad and zid like this.
  5. cavedave

Beer Trader

Yes, I was looking at Hardwick when my wife wouldn't agree to sell her half of the house to me during our divorce, and my youngest boy still lived near to there, and planned to settle. I think I would have been able to put up with the attitudes if I lived 20 min. from Hill Farmstead lol. So glad things worked out better, especially as I now can get Hill Farmstead-esqe beer from the friendly folks at Suarez right here at home!
  6. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (1,934) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I'll keep taking trips to St. Louis until the KC beer market matches it, until then, I won't be writing any letters.

We're finally getting NE IPAs with some regularity, and a few world class stouts, but nothing around the calendar year that would make me dump traveling 4 hours for world class beer available every week. Maybe, and hopefully, 2018 will yield improved beer on our side of the state.
  7. rozzom

Beer Trader

Dear John,

I really really used to like Heady Topper, but recently I've................
    woemad, CNoj012, jrnyc and 4 others like this.
  8. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,775) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Member Beer Trader

To the theme of 'Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover'.
  9. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (1,821) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Member

I don't get up to NY often anymore, so when I do I like to spend my time there wisely. Aside from Suarez, what other breweries make you want to leave VT in the dust?
    GuyFawkes likes this.
  10. cavedave

Beer Trader

Equilibrium, Plan Bee, Hudson Valley, Industrial Arts, District 96, Captain Lawrence, Sloop, Rushing Duck, just quick off the top of my head.

Not for nothing NJ is killing it lately, you should send NY a Dear John lol
  11. kinopio

kinopio Disciple (342) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Dear Vermont,

Your beer is delicious and the craft beer scene in this country would not be where it is without you. See you in the spring.
    meb3476, smutty33, MilkLeg and 19 others like this.
  12. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (449) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Say it ain’t so!! Do this right away — Make a reservation at HotW in Waterbury — have the Jasper Hill Baley Haze Blue cheese to start. Get a draft Heady (still incredible on draft). Have the mushroom toast. Soak up the one of a kind atmosphere. Pick anyone of their amazing entrees and have another Heady. Walk or drive back to Blackback and get a River Roost Mas w/ the unpretentious owners and clientele. Contemplate your next Beer. Maybe a Society and Solitude #5? This should be enough to convince you to take her back — and you did it all within a square mile. :grin:
    kool-aid, BuffaloBill12, zid and 2 others like this.
  13. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (774) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Is it bad that I don't want to break up with any of them? Sometimes it's nice to booty call a place you haven't been for a while.
  14. cavedave

Beer Trader

Yeah yeah, been visiting Vermont and loving all the good things (things, not people) for fifty years, Pretty sure I have an accurate read at this point.

Goodbye, Vt., when you visit NY I promise to be a whole lot nicer to you than you were to me.
  15. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,379) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Dave, you are a Gentleman.

Cheers to you sir!
  16. rozzom

Beer Trader

The entire state was mean to you CD?

Genuinely I’ve only ever had great experiences up there
    breadwinner and IBUBrew like this.
  17. IBUBrew

IBUBrew Aspirant (225) May 6, 2017 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Great! More for us! (Half-joking)
    Lone_Freighter, cavedave and CrimeDog like this.
  18. Shanex

Shanex Crusader (745) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Beer Trader

I feel like a Oregonian could write the same letter to California.
  19. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (764) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

That's what's wrong with y'all suthners. Y'all got more damned manners than than you know what to do with. Shit's contagious.
    mikeinportc, beertunes and cavedave like this.
  20. chipawayboy

Beer Trader

What about your little side piece Foam? Bet you are gonna keep her gmail address in your phone book....
    mikeinportc and TonyLema1 like this.
  21. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (1,605) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Vermont is far from the best place for one to retire.
    mikeinportc, LuskusDelph and cavedave like this.
  22. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,282) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey

I haven't made a booty call yet, but I do keep Von Trapp's number in my wallet just in case...
  23. surfcaster

surfcaster Champion (804) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina

I have never understood the concept of folks feeling like I should be grateful for being there. Still haven't made it to Vermont but agree the warmth and familiarity of the local place more than satisfies me.

Oh and Dave--come on down to Asheville some time. Quirky, eclectic, a bit "off centered" a Sam would say. And the folks are really nice.
    woemad, bstoos and cavedave like this.
  24. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Meyvn (1,289) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota

Sucks that you've gotten that attitude from your neighbors.

Whenever I cross over into Wisconsin for beer, I get treated great, and they're glad to see me.

And, yes, there's lots of great beer in Minnesota.
  25. cavedave

Beer Trader

Jet Set and Built To Spill cans show up Saturdays on the EQ tasting table on the reg, no need to endure anything to get Foam. When I taste Foam next to some quality locals it feels like I am hardly missing out.
    Premo88 likes this.
  26. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Meyvn (1,329) Dec 11, 2006 California

I used to love making the 2 hour drive down to Alpine. Now she has a new set of bongos and Kardashian lips and I don't think that I like her anymore.
    ColdOne, smutty33, Txex06 and 16 others like this.
  27. flaskman

flaskman Zealot (538) Aug 3, 2015 New York
    Premium Member

Nothing but the best for cavedave!!!!! Life is good and it will get better!!!!! I just said a beer prayer for you. Sometimes it's chicken and sometimes it's feathers. It evens out in the end.:slight_smile:
  28. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,139) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

OP, would you consider it a sh*thole beer destination then? :wink:
  29. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (1,640) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Premium Member

Oregonians have never needed CA to have great beer options... at least for my preferences.
    Lingenbrau, woemad, sharpski and 5 others like this.
  30. chipawayboy

Beer Trader

It’s criminal what they did to Nelson. But that’s a brewery - not a freakin’ State....
    jrnyc and RaulMondesi like this.
  31. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,242) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois

This made me snort laughing.
  32. cavedave

Beer Trader

I said destination, not state, don't make some kinda rules to this, man :grin:
  33. cavedave

Beer Trader

I love Vt. beer, it's almost as good as what I get from friendly folks here at home
    woemad, jrnyc, Premo88 and 4 others like this.
  34. spelingchampeon

spelingchampeon Defender (639) Feb 21, 2016 Delaware

While I can't attest to anywhere but a few states, my title would be:

Dear brewers who refuse to date their beer with intelligence and straightforward honesty,

Gosh, that feels better.. :rolling_eyes:
  35. JuliusPepperwood

JuliusPepperwood Initiate (194) Jul 21, 2013 Alabama
    Beer Trader

Name names you wuss! We went up to VT last year for the first time and every beer spot we went to was great. Foam, Alchemist, Blackback Pub, Craft Beer Cellar, Three Penny, Hen of the Wood, and Farmhouse Tap and Grill. Everyone was friendly and helpful. We ran into a few curt waiters at some breakfast spots but overall we had a good time and would go back.
    cavedave and IBUBrew like this.
  36. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (247) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Coming from South Boston I have always found VT folk to be almost uncomfortably welcoming.

Anyhow, I'm not Dear John-ing anything. When you fall so heavily in love with your hyper locals you've lost the plot.
  37. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,246) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Uh, no. I'm not boycotting any region or area for beer. Yeesh.
  38. readyski

readyski Aspirant (241) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

OP you don't need to name names but we in the gallery would like to have a little more info or perhaps a story that led you away from VT (aside from your superior NY options). I've never been so would like to hear it from one who has :thinking_face:
  39. cavedave

Beer Trader

We get The Look. It is a combination of slow motion acceptance that we are in the establishment and pained recognition that here are some more of those out of state assholes come to steal our beer. And it isn't as though they are just unfriendly, no, they are plenty friendly to each other, and don't bother to hide it. The lines for beer were long at many places as well, so plenty of time to get plenty of Looks.

Specifiic incidents? How about walking into village Grocer in Waitsfield and four employees in the store, and no customers. The two women behind the counter gave us The Look, and despite our standing by the counter neither of them made a move to help. Never want to upset folks who have beer you want, so we stood for a full minute, finally I said "Can we get some help?" the older lady of the two got a pained expression and walked over slowly, then called to one of the two men who were standing and talking to each other when we asked for Heady, and they both came over. "Heady Topper, right?" one man said with an expression of disdain and pity "Yeah, please," I replied. "Sorry, all out," he answered, just as another man entered the store and walked over to us. Without even thinking about the fact that his buddy had just lied to us, when this new customer asked for Heady the other fellow, who was standing right there with us, goes into the walk in and comes out with a 4pak. Right in front of us, to make sure we knew we foreign interlopers wouldn't be taking any of their beloved beer back to our enemy state! How about getting that same basic attitude at most of the places we go, combined with feigned concern for us in the form of comments and questions asked not for information but as a subtle way of putting us down, such as, "How's the crime down there? Must be hard living" ( I live with 400 acres of woods next to my house). In fifty years I have heard every variation of this fake concern that is really insuiltive.

Or at the Mobil station in Montpelier waiting in line for Heady and finally get in the store after an hour and get two 4paks handed to me through the display cooler. As I wait in line I feel wet on my leg and it turns out one of the cans has a pin hole in it and is pissing on my leg a thin stream of beer. There were two women behind the front counter, one at the register, one bagging and there were fifteen customers still in front of me. "Excuse me," I said politely, "One of these cans of beer is leaking." Pained expression from the lady who is bagging, kind of a "you stupid fuck you probably put that pinhole in there yourself" look. as she takes the 4pak and puts it in the sink. When I get to pay I asked If I could buy the remaining three cans of the 4pak. "Nope, can't do it," she said. So I said, "I'll pay the 4pak price, I don't mind, just sell me the three good cans for full price. " The Look. "Nope. Can't do it." she replied.

Here is my review of Idletyme-- "I will never set foot in this place again. The beer itself is below average, the food is good, but when we went back for a return visit for lunch we were met with angry accusations of underpaying our bill and stiffing the waitress on our previous visit, which we of course didn't do. Not only was this a ridiculous lie, but she yelled at us, embarrassed us, and was unreasonable in our trying to straighten the matter out. We should have left then but we stayed and, hard to imagine, things were even more uncomfortable from that point on. The place is barely above being a diner in its decor. The food is good, way overpriced, but good, so if you like being insulted and drinking meh beer while eating good overpriced food this place might be what you are looking for."

At Little River State Park I once was woken up from a sound nap and told to move my car. It was parked at the adjoining campsite that we had reserved for next day for others in our group who would be arriving. I'd gotten there a day early to set up. "Why, " I asked, "We have that campsite starting tomorrow?" "That's tomorrow, park there tormorrow."he said nastily. "Is there someone coming for that site today?" I asked, knowing there were many open sites at the time, and it was almost past check in time. "Nope, no one is. Now move your car." Does anyone really believe he would have done that if he hadn't labeled me as a NY asshole the moment I checked in? My group love Little River. We used to go every year.

These types of things and attitudes are common and if my memory was better and this wasn't overlong already I could paint a fuller novel. Fact is, though, not having to travel 3+ hours to get beer that, Thank The Lord, we finally have better here at home is reason enough to stay away. Vermont is a beautiful state, and the beer is very tasty, but as far as I'm concerned all those many, many Vermonters over the years who have that pained "gee I wish all you foreigners would just stay home with your slums and crime and pollution, " as we ruined their day by handing them money can GFT. And know what? I will stay home now.
    tzieser, Txex06, GuyFawkes and 15 others like this.
  40. Premo88

Premo88 Meyvn (1,418) Jun 6, 2010 Texas

Answer to OP's main question: No, I don't have a "Dear John" letter. I've also not experienced anything even close to what you have in terms of feeling treated like a second-class citizen by what amounts to an entire state.

If I did have a "Dear John" letter, it would've been addressed to Karbach for selling out to AB-In Bev, but everybody in Texas saw that coming, so it didn't hurt as much as it could have. In fact, I said I'd eventually buy their beer again, and I think when my fridge gets low I'll pick up a 6-pack of Sympathy for the Lager and see if it's still full of good bread malt flavor mixed with that bitter Old World hop bite.

If it sucks, *then* I might have a "Dear John" letter to write.