Your DLD stories

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by JakeT469, Apr 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

What an awful quality for a BA!

drewba likes this.
  2. JRorie

JRorie Initiate (0) Oct 11, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Ohhh, I found PICTURES of one of the guys that tried thieving our bottles!!!

3. Lansman

Lansman Aspirant (236) Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I appreciate the feedback. That actually makes me feel a lot better about the whole event in a weird way. Thanks for letting me know. :)

4. JRorie

JRorie Initiate (0) Oct 11, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

So look out for the guy in the middle, and bottom right of this photo. Beer thieves, caught trying to take our bottles.

[​IMG]

5. MarkIntihar

http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...illa-iso-ba-huna-bcs-rare-bcbvs-bcs-07.15218/

"a couple BCS Rares with extras"

I'd say that would add up to almost... $150, no? ;)

6. stupac2

stupac2 Disciple (387) Feb 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

At a recent tasting the same thing happened to a bottle of great. We just poured carefully. No jugglers severed.

BdubleEdubleRUN and MarkIntihar like this.
  7. MarkIntihar

I really wanted to find a picture of a juggler cut in half, but my 2 second search for "severed juggler" didn't come up with anything. :(

BdubleEdubleRUN and ADTaber like this.
  8. BdubleEdubleRUN

BdubleEdubleRUN Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2009 California

[​IMG]

9. Franch

Franch Devotee (445) Mar 22, 2011 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

brewpub suggestion: 1) should always have BA DL and such goodies on tap. waiting 5 hours in the line-cutting cold for BA black sun made me rage. 2) 2 drink limit, no food. in and out.

10. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Devotee (449) Apr 23, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

2 Drink limit I can understand, or at least 1 drink of each on tap limit. There are plenty of amazingly delicious food vendors out there, so the pub shouldn't waste its time cooking and serving food. On DLD it really should be strictly beer sales in the pub.

11. cpinto6

cpinto6 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2010 Georgia

I thought the amazing bottles getting shared prevented that from happening a lot. Do people really run in and out for 2nds, 3rds, etc of the same beer?

12. cpinto6

It just snapped from holding it or it got accidentally hit against something? Just curious since I hadn't heard of this happening before this thread.

13. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Devotee (449) Apr 23, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Not sure I follow you... The way it was first thing at gates open on DLD you could get in, sit down, and order as many drinks as you liked. Could even order them to go. Also food. I was saying it would be best if they limited you to no food and just a few drinks, preferably no more than 1 pour of an BA beer.

14. cpinto6

O alright nvm then, that clears things up. Yea I agree that's a good idea.

15. paslaugh

paslaugh Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2012 Illinois

Dark Lord was pretty much what I expected: a drunken 'metal' frat party.

I arrived around 6:00 and met some really awesome people during the pre-open bottle share. Got a couple of trades done. Busted out some Heady Topper, Boulevard Saison-Brett, Melange #3, Supplication, and CW 1414. Best thing I tried was ('06 I think) Fou Foune, and was shocked by how awesome Gilgamesh was. Also met a total douche right at the beginning of the event that was sponging on everyone's beers, scalping his tickets, and then cut to the front of the line as the gates opened. You know, the usual.

When the doors opened, the GF and I ran in got our bottles (including a DL Vanilla), grabbed a couple of the latte's in the 3 Floyds mini-pint glasses, and were out by 10:45. Jumped in the car and drove 5 hours north to the Shorts anniversary party in Bellaire, MI, which was exponentially more fun and under control.

Sad I missed the guest taps, but thrilled I didn't wait for 3 hours for BA Black Sun and the general sloppiness of the event. I'd take the Short's Anniversary party any year.

Lansman likes this.
  16. MarkIntihar

Funny how you are able to judge the sloppy drunkenness of the party without even staying long enough to see most of it...

ravot likes this.
  17. Lansman

Lansman Aspirant (236) Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Wow, just wow. Both parties in the same day? That is just awesome.

18. paslaugh

paslaugh Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2012 Illinois

There were people falling over and vomiting before the gates opened at 10am....I can only imagine how it escalated from there considering most of what's been written on this thread.

19. foobula

foobula Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2009 Illinois

In that case I'm guessing the event was front-loaded with a few folks who had been drinking all morning, and maybe even late the night before. Those of us who arrived around 9am (fresh from a good night's sleep and planning to make a day of it) didn't have to deal with much in the way of shenanigans until late into the afternoon, and even then (in my experience) it was fairly isolated.

So to the contrary, I thought it was a fantastic beer event, #1 in my book, with a perfect mix of under-control-ness and anything-goes-ness.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  20. Gritch

Gritch Initiate (160) Dec 26, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

The drunks were out of control much earlier this year. Had some drunk ass try to start fights with people at 10:30, because we were standing in lines. He could not understand why we were in line. It was his first year.

21. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2011 Ohio

Here's the epic beer tasting from the night before Dark Lord Day​
    Here's what I ended up with at the end of it all! Can't believe I didn't lose/drop one of these at all over the weekend. ​

22. london1o1

london1o1 Aspirant (202) Feb 14, 2003 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

My memory also sucks, but I believe you are correct (at least about '10 and '09, when there were tickets). However, it still ran out and there was still a long line for it. I foolishly never made waiting in that line early enough to get it a priority. In '08 I was a wide-eyed noob with very little idea what was going on.

23. Alpar

Alpar Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2009 Wisconsin

Next year people will be bringing 100mL syringes and filter needles in case other bottles start chipping or cracking. That would be some next level shit.

lurchingbeast and MarkIntihar like this.
  24. stupac2

stupac2 Disciple (387) Feb 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Snapped from opening. While trying to take off the tap the glass just broke. I had never seen it before either, but I do know that's a weak point of a bottle (when in college I opened beer like this pretty often, just to).

25. woodchopper

woodchopper Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Describe what he looked like on here or in a PM my have a clue as to maybe who it might be! Some ass bag was bragging about grabbing some Extras. Just over heard it in conversation with 2 other people!

26. woodchopper

Beer Trader

You should post it so we all know who the assbag is! And when were at beer releases we know who to lookout for!

27. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2010 Indiana

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/your-dld-stories.15201/page-6#post-188942

MarkIntihar likes this.
  28. MarkIntihar

29. woodchopper

Beer Trader

Ya I saw that after I posted I saw a thief wearing a black tiger ball cap kind of cocked to the side black hair not that guy in the picture though!

I find people that go to beer events to steal other peoples beers and rip others off to be the ones that sooner or later it will all catch up with them. And get what's coming to them. Some people are just plain greedy and assholes

But sooner or later they slip up or get drunk and brag about it and then its all out everywhere! Like the assbag at founders black party laughing about getting a free case of beer in the taproom!

30. Jerry

Jerry Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2012 Illinois

Nice haul MaxSpang.

MaxSpang likes this.
  31. DicemanSTL

DicemanSTL Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2011 Missouri

I was with Jason's crew and can corroborate that we caught these two fucks trying to steal our beer red (wax) handed.

32. DicemanSTL

Here's another picture of the beer thief. Dude in the hoodie to the right with the dumbass look on his face:

[​IMG]

33. ravot

ravot Devotee (422) Mar 20, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

i dont recall the thief. the dude in the middle, i kept bumping into him hah.

as i read through last years threads of Dark lord to prep myself for this year. this was GREAT. never bumped into a douche, vomiting people, bros, drunken folks. i guess all this shit happened at the front of the line. people shouldn't get turned off so soon.

on the other hand, pretty badass on hitting both breweries.

34. DicemanSTL

The two guys on the left of the thief are super awesome dudes. The thief photobombed the picture...

35. randjuke

randjuke Initiate (181) Feb 13, 2010 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Yeah I have a theory that the only good thing about line-jumpers is it keeps all the d-bags up at the front of the line away from me. I was in the back of the C group cluster-F and almost everyone was very nice and just having a good time.

ravot and foobula like this.
  36. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2011 Ohio

Yeah it's easily my best haul to date. My wallet is hurting though :(

37. Unsung

Unsung Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2011 Illinois

[​IMG]

My bottle of Cognac BA.

chronie likes this.
  38. chronie

chronie Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Very cool!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

No fake news here. Get real beer content delivered to your doorstep every month.

Subscribe