Your employer cool with beer on your lunch break?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JuliusPepperwood, May 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JuliusPepperwood

JuliusPepperwood Aspirant (231) Jul 21, 2013 North Carolina

Those who work 9 to 5 jobs, does your employer care if you get a beer at lunch? My workplace is really conservative and we do get random drug tests but I read in our employee manual there is a 0.05 BAC tolerance. So if I'm out alone on my lunch break I might grab one but avoid anything over 7% ABV.

2. VictorsValiant

VictorsValiant Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2014 Oregon

Brewery tasting and sensory analysis meetings. Thank goodness for my job.

3. barflybastard

barflybastard Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Pennsylvania

Um...nope.

edd562 likes this.
  4. thedumbphase

thedumbphase Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2015 New Jersey

No, but that's why they invented breath mints.

5. fearfactory

fearfactory Aspirant (296) Aug 12, 2012 Massachusetts

Any place that I worked that did was a pretty unprofessional, pay no taxes, no insurance type jobs. Thank god those days are long in the past. I was however, chastised in my later career for not spending enough of my yearly entertainment budget taking clients out for drinks and schmoozing. Fixed that asap. So yeah, both extremes!

Tdizzle and edd562 like this.
  6. Mitchell57

Mitchell57 Initiate (159) Jan 8, 2013 Wisconsin

7. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (7,250) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

It kind of depends. My employer probably doesn't have an actual policy, and I'm unlikely to meet the boss any time soon. My immediate supervisor, on the other hand? My current one doesn't mind, and he will occasionally imbibe during lunch, as well.

All depends on what's going on, and who's watching, I suppose. It's very much up to the individual concerned.

8. montman

montman Devotee (434) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

It used to be a grey area, "hey its Friday" kind of thing. And now since some org changes...no way.

9. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,440) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware
    Society

When I worked for a major company their policy was not to be impaired at work. Saying that on work lunches nobody drank a thing. If you were on your own it was up to you, knowing that more than a couple people had been fired for coming back from lunch drunk.

10. CountCitra

CountCitra Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2015 Florida

i work for a group of liquor stores in florida. so technically its "tasting" it out to the customers, so that they may buy it hahaha

11. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (3,079) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

My company serves beer (Sierra Nevada, Deschutes, New Belgium etc.) at staff meetings, which usually happen toward the end of the day every couple of months. But I doubt having a beer during lunch would be condoned, and it certainly wouldn't help me focus after I got back to my desk.

12. Hayden34

Hayden34 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2014 Georgia

I work for the Department of Defense. So no...

13. rabbitguy

rabbitguy Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2009 Illinois
    Deactivated

We cannot at work. We use equipment and cannot use any alcohol or whatever. I love my and my job loves me, so I follow the company policy. I don't want to be sent to take the test .

14. patdunkel

patdunkel Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2014 Wisconsin

Unwritten rule. If I am not working with the students after lunch, then its fine. If I have to teach, then no. And before you get any ideas, it's graduate school not elementary:grinning:

15. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio

It's technically against company policy, but they have no alcohol tests so I could have one off-site and get away with it. I'd still rather wait until i'm off and have three.

16. souredonbeer

souredonbeer Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2014 Washington

Beer at lunch, beer at desk, beer in the conference rooms...all good. I work in advertising. We have multiple kegs around the office and a fully stocked bar.

17. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,464) Sep 3, 2007 California
    Society

My company has a zero tolerance policy, so I save my drinking for outside work.

18. Nmelione

Nmelione Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2014 New Jersey
    Deactivated

Yes, I work in advertising and its really common. No one gets drunk but a beer is fine. We even have fully stocked fridges in the office for beer Thursdays.

jakemn91 and Monkeyknife like this.
  19. Davepoolesque

Davepoolesque Poo-Bah (3,175) Aug 25, 2012 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Couple, two tree lunch beers never hurt anyone.

Papaloth, BeerBob and Providence like this.
  20. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2013 Virginia

Yes, I have actually had a beer with a manager on lunch before.

21. Monkeyknife

Monkeyknife Poo-Bah (3,571) Jan 8, 2007 Missouri
    Society Trader

Self employed and work from home. So yep, my boss is pretty cool with it. :wink:

22. Andy311x

Andy311x Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2008 North Carolina

Yes, I work for a tech company, and it's no big deal to have a beer or two at lunch

ESCO138 and alexk307 like this.
  23. Jmorey

Jmorey Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan

used to have a beer friday here and there. Graphic design studio.

Now, not so much, since I work at a university. However we have done a few lunch things and we had some drinks. But me going out to lunch by myself and having a beer, probably not. I don't know if it says it officially somewhere, probably does.

I have brought beer in for coworkers though. KBS here, out of state goodies there. etc.

24. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,081) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Use to work as a cook in a privately owned diner. The boss also worked on the line. He'd finish his hours for the day and go to the apartment upstairs and drink. I miss those guys. Hop heads all of them. It was common to see beer in the kitchen after dining room hours when we were just cleaning up. But nobody ever had a beer while working or on the job/clock.

#24 Urk1127, May 20, 2015
    Last edited: May 20, 2015
  25. Todd

Todd Founder (6,697) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Totally cool. In fact, it's sometimes mandatory. @Jason

26. FaradayUncaged

FaradayUncaged Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Michigan

I'm not comfortable with it otherwise, but I have had a single beer with lunch with management present. Of course reserved for days when there are no customer meetings in the afternoon (granted a single beer alongside food usually doesn't have any lasting effects on me).

jrnyc likes this.
  27. RKP1967

RKP1967 Disciple (319) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

Interesting topic.

I work independently most of the time, so presumably I could go drink whatever I want, anytime. And ever so occasionally, I have. :slight_smile:

However, to get into my building, I have to pass through an x-ray machine that looks at everything I'm bringing in. And there are rules against bringing in alcohol (even if there is no intention to drink it). So that, combined with the fact that I take public transit to get to my job...makes lunchtime whale hunts impossible. :slight_frown:

28. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama

29. mwa423

mwa423 Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2007 Ohio

I'm drinking a beer at my desk right now that my boss handed me. As a guy who works for a brewery, it comes down to "responsible alcohol use". Drink a beer at 3:30? Great, go for it. If I came in and shotgunned a beer at 9 am...I might not have a job at 9:30. Alternatively, I could drink 2 or 3 now (heck, I probably will, since there are test batches that just arrived). If I drink 10, I won't have a job at 10 tomorrow morning.

One of my most amusing memories was the building manager walked into my office when we were all drinking beer and playing darts. He grabs my boss and tells her "uh, you do know you're not permitted to drink alcohol in here right?" Her response with a stone cold look on her face: "What alcohol?" Turns around "Anybody drinking alcohol in here? That's not allowed. Mwa423, you drinking alcohol?"

Me with a beer in my hand: "Nope, never do that on the clock".

Building manager slinks out of office.

30. Providence

Providence Champion (821) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

This cracked me up something real. I immediately figured you were from Rhode Island. Close enough.

Stagga_Lee, BeerBob and Davepoolesque like this.
  31. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

Sometimes the boss takes me out for lunch. Sometimes he orders a beer or wine, which means it's okay for me to do the same. Otherwise I just operate on the assumption that I shouldn't be drinking at work.

ianous and jrnyc like this.
  32. apw0397

apw0397 Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2010 Texas

Yes. No issues with beer here. I work for a tech firm.

We even have a weekly "Team Meeting" on Friday afternoons where our team goes into a conference room and shares a few bombers. We keep the bottles in my boss's office for posterity.

33. BuckStop

BuckStop Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2014 Connecticut

We sure do. We're a small and really young office. A few years back the bosses would take us out to lunch and order one or two beers. From that point on, we assumed it was fine to do. Some people go out and get coffee, we go out and get beers at a great bar with 50 something taps around the corner. We rarely will have more than 2, but we basically do this at least once a week. Lucky, I know. We try not to abuse it, but it's pretty freakin' awesome.

cjgiant likes this.
  34. oso4life

oso4life Initiate (0) May 22, 2014 Florida

Considering they sit there and drink rum and whiskey, then yes.

35. Misterphinister

Misterphinister Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2015 Michigan

Those who work in manufacturing don't have these luxuries...

36. HopVol

HopVol Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2015 Tennessee

I don't know, I've never asked. Easier to ask forgiveness than permission. We did have a cinco de mayo thing at work with beer so I guess they're ok with it to some extent.

37. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (2,319) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Society

I am very cool with letting myself have a beer at lunch.

38. ESeab

ESeab Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2013 New Jersey

I used to grab a pint and watch a couple innings of Phillies on break when I worked for a major music store. My boss asked how many beers I had on break one time, I said, "one," and it wasn't brought up again. I do not think this was 'cool' though

39. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (472) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

Some places I've worked said no, others had no policy one way or the other. That said, even if I'm on lunch, I'm still on company time, so I will not drink anything during the work day.
    Once I log off, that's a different story, if working from home. Some places I've worked I've stopped for a quick one on the way home.

40. Retroman40

Retroman40 Zealot (534) Dec 7, 2013 Florida

I work in transportation so absolutely no alcohol consumption anywhere near working hours. After work and off days - well that's another story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.