Your Epic Whale Fail

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by themind, Aug 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prock180

prock180 Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2013 Arizona

Peche Mortal is a fabulous beer imo. Hard to beat flavor/quality wise, but for the price not your daily drinker that's for sure.

breadwinner likes this.
  2. vrbulldog22

vrbulldog22 Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2010 Ohio

I traded for mine. In retrospect, I probably could've got other things & enjoyed them more, but oh well! Live & learn. My impression was that it tasted like an average barleywine that happened to be aged in an amazing barrel, if that makes sense.

3. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (3,022) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

I have to add another Dark Lord to the growing list. It's a practical joke of a beer.

And by the way, none of these beers, which are listed in this thread, are whales (I probably missed a few):
    Anything from Rogue
    Rochefort 10
    Two Hearted
    Lagunitas Sucks
    Fat Tire
    Summerfest
    Prima Pils
    Arrogant Bastard
    Dirtwolf
    Speedway Stout
    Black Butte
    Jai Alai

4. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2008 Minnesota

This is my own personal fail. At Beachwood BBQ the first year Pliney the Younger was released. We stopped in to check the place out thinking we'd hit it the next night as we were there for work. The place was packed. Stopped back the next night to get some beer. Place was not nearly as packed. Asked why and the bartender explained they had released PTY the night before. I wasn't into IPAs, IIPAs at the time and didn't really realized I had missed a whale...now I do.

BTW, in respond to others in the thread. Everytime I've had PTE on tap or in a bottle it's been amazing. I'm lucky enough to get to San Fran once a year so I have it pretty fresh. It's still the place where IIPA started and the benchmark for me. And my favorite is Surly Abrasive and I'd take PTE over it any day. I've had one can of Heady and found it to be a world beater, but I'd need more to verify, just my two cents!

5. runfoodrun

I drank may too much of this in the Keys earlier this year. (Bahia Honda State park, greatest place in the US) Not a whale, but a great, unique IPA in MHO. Almost fruity pebbles-ish, but different than the IPAs I can get in MN and WI, and there are a lot of great ones here. If Jai Alai were avail here I would add it to the regular rotation.

Friendlyfire likes this.
  6. runfoodrun

It's a great beer, and not a whale...you can pick it up anywhere that Stone is avail.

7. beefsquatch

beefsquatch Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2014 New York

said no one ever...:astonished:

markgugs likes this.
  8. LightSaber

LightSaber Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2013 Minnesota

Darklord was an absolute bust for me. Buddy and I tried to split one...over half sitting on the counter in the morning.
    Heady Topper and ZD also come to mind though I did like them both...but they weren't the oh shit this is awesome kind of beers they are hyped to be.

djben likes this.
  9. drewskalicious

drewskalicious Initiate (87) Jul 20, 2012 Georgia

Corona Extra. I was expecting a full-flavored, Cancún beach party with lime. Total whale.

PBRmeasap1980 and pjvie like this.
  10. r0nyn

r0nyn Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2009 New York

My cousin and I split a Chocolate Rain that he had traded for. We got about half a glass each in before we decided it was too thin, too sweet and just all around bad. I guess the really thin pour should have tipped us off, but for a beer that was so hyped in our minds, it completely disappointed us. Drainpoured that sucker.

11. RobinLee

RobinLee Zealot (559) Feb 15, 2012 Wisconsin

I haven't had a true whale. What's a step down, a tuna?

I don't think I'll bother getting KBS next year. It was great the first time I had it, maybe my palate's changed or summat.

12. ronricorossi

ronricorossi Zealot (509) Jun 30, 2014 California

Hopslam, for sure. Although, for as much as you hear about it, it's actually only ranked #29 amongst DIPAs, which might be close to right. The midwest/great lakes regional IPAs/APAs all seem to have a honey sweetness in the background, which isn't necessarily a good or bad thing, just a regional thing, I guess.

13. breadwinner

breadwinner Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2014 California

Rats, you got me. Taking the 6.8 seconds it took to see what other DIPAs you've reviewed to see if it shed any light whatsoever on why you so massively disliked Pliny makes me a kooky stalker. Tell little Jimmy I said hi, and also you left your garage door open last night, so I went ahead and shut it for you. You're welcome.

14. miketd

miketd Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2006 Ohio

Only beer from my area that has any of the qualities you are talking about is Commodore Perry from Great Lakes. Definitely nothing sweet in any Fat Head's IPA, to give one example.

15. RblWthACoz

RblWthACoz Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2006 Pennsylvania

Isabelle Proximus

16. meb3476

meb3476 Aspirant (206) Apr 1, 2013 Massachusetts

Westy 12- I believe it's more of me not liking the style.
    Dinner- A big let down. While it was good didn't think it was better than Lunch or Another One.

17. richobrien

richobrien Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2013 California

I've been pretty impressed with the "more hyped" beers like Pliny, Heady, Zombie Dust etc. I haven't dipped into the cellar to open any of the harder to get stuff yet like Cantillon, 3F, Dark Lord

18. brian4beer

brian4beer Initiate (180) Jan 27, 2013 Indiana
    Trader

Spuyten for me. Not bad by an means but definitely not worth the kings ransom that was given up to get it by a friend. That being said, I did not have it fresh and that could be a major factor given the fruit included in this particular beer.

19. brian4beer

brian4beer Initiate (180) Jan 27, 2013 Indiana
    Trader

You are correct Jim et al did another version just was not here. Also correct that Eszett went way up on the newer version and Deviation went way down. Soleil B1 was atop of Dave at number 1 and Selectie C was in the top 10 IIRC.

20. Droopy487

Droopy487 Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2013 Tennessee

Awesome. Thanks. BTW, it only took me 3.2 seconds to see that you have your profile blocked so you can't be trolled like you troll other people.

JavaNoire likes this.
  21. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,792) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

I've never liked any of the Dark Lord or Huna variants. Just not my thing.

22. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,131) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Mine would be KBS, Heady Topper, and the Abyss (and maybe Zombie Dust). Massive hype behind all these beers, and by the time I got to drinking them, I'd found beers in the style that I vastly preferred. I'm actually apparently one of the few people on BA that actually enjoys Dark Lord, but after the first sip or two, I definitely got why other people hate the beer. Even for me, it straddles the line between too sweet and just sweet enough.

That's not to say they're not all great beers; they are. They just didn't change my world like my favorites have, and thus didn't live up to the hype for me.

23. zacky_U

zacky_U Initiate (0) May 22, 2013 Michigan

24. mikeincharleston

mikeincharleston Initiate (0) May 1, 2009 North Carolina

Cantillon Blabaer '11. So much meh

25. michman

michman Aspirant (205) Oct 14, 2005 Illinois

Heady. no doubt.

26. kwakwhore

kwakwhore Zealot (572) Nov 1, 2004 North Carolina
    Trader

I had Pliny twice. Once it was spectacular, the other time not so much. If it's not fresh, take your chances.

27. breadwinner

breadwinner Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2014 California

Aw, no need to pout -- if you wanted to take a peek, all you had to do was ask.

And, speaking of pouting, if you really think that someone pointing out/questioning your reasons for not liking one beer, when another beer you claim to like lacks those exact same qualities, makes them a troll, maybe it's time to have a nice warm glass of milk and finally get that nap in.

28. 77black_ships

77black_ships Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2012 Belgium

Pannepot Wild – original batch, thin, tastes infected, just straight up bad
    Pannepot Wild – second batch, the combination of flavours didn’t work at all for me

Hair of the Dog Michael is just awful – I have had 2 different batches, tasted like a spoiled beer to me, granted the newer batch was better, older one was a gusher & just awful

Heady Topper – it isn’t a bad beer but plenty of other better DIPA’s out there, I have had maybe 5 times now

Närke Konjaks! Stormaktsporter – solid but there are a lot better stouts out there that are as good or better

29. Brutus627

Brutus627 Aspirant (239) Feb 3, 2014 Maine

King Kenry, but I expected too much from it... It was fantastic and I gave it a 5 but it may have been more fun chasing it than actually drinking it lol. I'll stick to my beloved bcbbw which is way more plentiful haha. I thought the same of Westy 12, I greatly enjoyed tracking it down and having it but I would rather go to Nature's Way and pay 10 bucks for an ABT12 anyday.

30. kfh227

kfh227 Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2011 Connecticut

120 minute dogfish head. Took years to find it

Would have been equallyhappy drinking a bud Weiser turned into a boiler maker.

31. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia

How you no get hop flavor from 120?? :astonished::confused:

kerry4porters likes this.
  32. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (668) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Disappointment in Abyss convinced me to stop trading years ago. I can find similar stuff that on store shelves near me and skip the trading hassle.

I agree 100%.

It's more fun to find the unknown whale-quality beers in your own backyard, which are usually fresher and cheaper than the hyped beers.

mattcrill likes this.
  33. nophunk

nophunk Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2011 Louisiana

Peche is super meh. Most stouts that aren't American suck to be honest lol.

34. _morandi_

_morandi_ Initiate (0) Jun 17, 2014 California

KBS was my first big disappointment... still doesn't stack up to Black Note, BCBS and others. I grabbed up a few at release this year, but really just to trade away.

35. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (385) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Trader

You're not wrong, but it just seems irrelevant to me in the context of this thread. It was pretty clear after the first handful of responses that this was really a thread about what hyped/sought-after/highly rated beer did not meet expectations. I imagine most of the commenters got that without having to be reminded that these aren't whales. So yeah, maybe a silly title, but the distinction probably didn't need to be pointed out a dozen times by every person trying to sound more knowledgable than those commenting about their disappointment with Hopslam, etc.

JavaNoire and breadwinner like this.
  36. brywhite

brywhite Initiate (0) Aug 27, 2009 California

Wow... is anything good going to come of this thread?

hardy008 likes this.
  37. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

Not sure I would call any of these whales but they did let me down to a degree:

Heady Topper - Great beer but not #1
    Pliny the Elder - See above, been lapped by more modern brews
    Hopslam - Really don't get the hype. Good, nothing more.
    Gose Gone Wild - Could barely finish a sample.
    Double Bastard - Gimme a Miller Lite any day over this (yes, I'm serious).

38. Brenden

Brenden Poo-Bah (3,945) Feb 25, 2008 Ohio
    Society Trader

Hipsterbeeradvocate.com should be its own website.

39. pjvie

pjvie Initiate (0) May 30, 2014 Oregon

I have to believe that many who did not like PtE were stuck in the hype mentality. PtE was excellent. Drank it with tempered expectations and it definitely went above and beyond. For anyone who hasn't tried it, don't expect it to be God's gift to man, but its still worth getting out to CA to drink a few fresh bottles.

And man, all you have to do is mention the world "whale" on this forum and suddenly we've got drama!

40. dsigmon

dsigmon Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2007 Florida

For me it was Prop. Mine was flat, very sweet, and very little coconut if any at all. May have just had a bad bottle...I certainly hope so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.