Your favorite beer across your timeline (before BeerAdvocate)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bubseymour, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,223) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I'll start with the early 70s.

Tooths Flag Ale, Toohey's New and Old, Sheaf Stout, Miller's(not THAT Miller's) in Australia.

Mid 70s to 1980, living in California:

Schlitz, Augsburger, Andeker, Ballantine XXX, Rainier Ale, Erlanger, Brew 102 from General, New Albion, loads of imports like Dortmunder Ritter Brau, Whitbread, McEwans, Watney's Red Barrel, Lowenbrau...

1980 to before I joined BA living in Casper:12 Horse Ale, Ballantine XXX, Falstaff, Schaefer, MacAndrews Scotch Ale, Black Horse Ale, more McEwans scotch Ales, Special Export, Rogue big beers in small bottles, Carling Black Label ..no, that was in California.
    Probably a lot more that I can't think of off the top of my head .

jesskidden, Premo88 and donspublic like this.
  2. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (4,337) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota
    Society

Do you remember the taste differences between OLY and Rainer back in those days. I got a buddy about who was drinking out that way in the early-mid 80's and he hates OLY and says rainer was much better. I always thought OLY was a more of a lighter flavored beer like Coors but that was a little before my time. By the time I got to OLY it was not brewed there anymore.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  3. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,919) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Man brought back memories. We used to go from north Louisiana to Dallas and Texas was dry from the east side to right outside Dallas. About halfway there was a store(wet county) that sold this, it was like $10 a case back in the day and we would stock up on it on the way where and back. Loved that beer back then

Bitterbill likes this.
  4. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,050) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Well...re: Olympia, I'll let Larry Sidor take that one:
    In the 70's or 80's, Olympia told the CSPI their beer contained:
    and Olympia promo material during the same period said the beer is:
    But the current version (apparently the 95% malt version's gone?) seems to be strictly corn-adjunct (likely w/corn syrup, as is common for Pabst brands and their own from MC breweries).

I would have thought Miller continued to brew Olympia for Pabst in Tumwater during the brief period (1999-2003) they operated that brewery, but according to news reports at the time, they didn't. Seems odd - where did Oly come from in that period? Miller had taken over the Pabst contract from Stroh in the late 90s.

I guess Tumwater was Pabst's third to last brewery - Pearl/San Antonio and the Schaefer/Stroh Allentown, PA (operated by Pabst only from 1999 - 2002) being the last two.

When Olympia (and later Pabst) owned the Hamm's brewery in St. Paul, they likely brewed mid-Western distributed Olympia there - but Stroh had ownership of that brewery (after the infamous "swap" for Tampa w/Pabst) by the mid-1980s.

I don't think I ever had Rainier Beer - only Rainier Ale - if they distributed the Beer in SF or LA when I lived on the west coast, I don't remember buying it. That was before Heileman bought the brewery and brand. The next time I had Rainier Ale, in the mid-90s, I was shocked what Heileman did to it (they never did like hops, they ruined McSorley's Ale, too). M. Jackson's 1st US ed. Pocket Guide [1982] gave Rainier Ale four stars (same as Falstaff's Ballantine IPA and Prior Double Dark) - the highest rated non-craft US beers.

#44 jesskidden, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    ZAP and Bitterbill like this.
  5. jesskidden

Society Trader

Doing some more research re: Rainier "The Green Death" Ale, turns out it (along w/Ballantine IPA, Old Tankard Ale and a few others) was killed by Pabst :astonished:, according to a 2016 email reply to an inquiry:

Thank you for taking the time to contact Pabst Brewing Company with your interest in Rainier Ale.

Regrettably, due to its poor sales performance, we have decided to discontinue Rainier Ale. We would like to thank you for your support over the years, but unfortunately sales simply were not enough to continue producing the product…

Jaycase and Bitterbill like this.
  6. dennis3951

dennis3951 Meyvn (1,011) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Early/mid 70's Rheingold {in 76 I drank Anchor Steam for the 1st time}
    Late 70's/early 80's Bud or Michelob
    Mid 80's New Amsterdam Amber the 1st craft beer that was easy to get. Then on to many other craft breweries

GormBrewhouse and Bitterbill like this.
  7. 1stand3rd

1stand3rd Initiate (80) Mar 13, 2009 New Jersey

Good thread.
    My go to beers starting from the early seventies...
    Colt 45
    Pabst/Miller High Life/Schlitz/Busch
    Heineken
    Harp
    Sam Adams Golden Pilsner
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    Victory Hop Devil
    Kane Head High

#47 1stand3rd, Mar 10, 2018
    GormBrewhouse likes this.
  8. Bluecrow

Bluecrow Poo-Bah (1,639) Jul 16, 2012 New York
    Society

1979 Molson Golden
    1980-83 Matt's Premium, Molson Brador
    mid' 80's Carlslberg "green" (from the only brewery in Malawi)
    Geary's (on my one drinking day a month as an Outward Bound instructor.
    1990's Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    early 2000's... Anchor Steam Christmas
    2009+ -started brewing, Belgian Dubbel's, dark, aged sours
    Present favorite: Cascade Figaro, but I do like those foggy IPA's

9. Crusader

Crusader Disciple (324) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

Hmm. I wonder if he is saying that in the 70s the beer was brewed (pre fermentation) to 1.070 OG (or around 17% plato, with German Bock beers being brewed to at least 16% plato) but when he left they had upped the pre fermentation gravity into the 1.080 range? Or is there a digit missing in the quote before the "8" and they actually went from using high gravity worts to brewing it to a lower, more normal OG? And if they did use high gravity brewing, was the IBU measurement from pre or post dilution I wonder. Hmm.

10. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yeah, that confused me, too and I was gonna do some editing and add some "..." ellipsis marks because the main point for me was the reduction in the IBU rate over 20 years or so.

I assume the problem was in transcribing the verbal interview and the author's reply to a complaint about "typographic/punctuation mistakes" in the comments section in Part 2 of the interview seems to back up my supposition:

Crusader likes this.
  11. Crusader

Crusader Disciple (324) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

I found another interview with Sidor. In the interview he says (starting at around 47:27 in the video):

Which I take to mean that when he started they weren't using high gravity brewing but that they introduced it later. The 11.7 "percentage of barley or malt" sounds like a plato measurement (he mentions 11.7 gravity at one point after all), and a normal gravity for a non-high gravity lager beer wort. 10.5 I can't explain however, if they had started using high gravity brewing the OG would have gone up, so maybe it's not degrees plato? Or they calculated it on the basis of the abv and residual extract in the post-dilution beer for some reason. Yet more questions :stuck_out_tongue:.

12. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yeah, well, by the late 1970s, Olympia had grown to one of the largest "regional" breweries, and had bought Hamm in the upper Midwest and Lone Star in Texas.

Then they were merged into Pabst during the infamous 3-way deal that saw Heileman buy Pabst at the same time Pabst bought Olympia - with Heileman keeping the hottest brands (Lone Star, Henry Weinhard) and breweries in regions they needed them (Georgia, Texas, Oregon).

So, Pabst was weakened and then along came the great destroyer of US breweries a few years later, Paul Kalmanovitz, who bought Pabst and eventually merged it into his rag-tag collection of breweries and brands, the S&P Corp. - inc. Pearl, General (Lucky Lager), Falstaff (+Ballantine and Narragansett). S&P was cheap to the nth degree, and constantly cutting costs, dumbing down beers and closing breweries, laying off workers and cutting pensions to retirees.

#52 jesskidden, Mar 10, 2018
    Premo88 and Crusader like this.
  13. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Zealot (553) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

91-93 (pre college years): MGD (made me go pee pee), Rolling Rock
    93-97 (college years): Beast/Beast Lite/Beast Ice was pretty much king at UVA this time. Some Magnum 44 and Olde English thrown in. If you're really high falutin', a mystery keg of Killians Red showed up at a party
    97-98/99: First year out of college I went on kind of an AAL ticking binge.
    Early 2000's: some craft dabbling...Victory/Troegs/weyerbacher were pretty much my gateways to "real craft".
    Mid 2000's: Grape and Gourmet opens in VA Beach. With the TW in the area, it's all over after that.

GormBrewhouse and Premo88 like this.
  14. Motski

Motski Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2017 Canada

Late Teens/Early 20's; Molson Ex, Molson Golden
    Mid/late 20's; Molson Canadian, Labatt Blue, Carlsberg
    30's; Molson Canadian, Kokanee, Bud
    40's Got into all kinds of craft beers and have never looked back. :stuck_out_tongue::beers:

15. lastmango

lastmango Defender (694) Dec 11, 2014 Pennsylvania

Pre-high school . . . yeah Irish and German ancestry in Maryland . . . sneaking them at family crab feasts - Pabst, Carling Black Label and Nattie Boh :grin:.
    High School - Miller especially ponies that hide in your hands while cruising in a muscle car :sunglasses:, National Premium, Molson Ale, Heineken
    College - Coors, Olympia, Dortmunder Union, Hacker-Pschorr, Dinkelacker, Harp, Guinness Stout, Bass Ale
    Post College Married no kids- Hacker-Pschorr, Dinkelacker, Harp, Guinness Stout, Corona, Bass Ale
    Married with kids - Yuengling Lager and Black and Tan, Guinness Stout as a treat, Corona at the beach in reality or in my mind . . .
    Kids almost gone . . . back to whatever German beers I can get and then discovery of Beer Advocate! As Don Henley sang in Boys of Summer . . . "Don't look back, you can never look back." :slight_smile:

16. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,262) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Binned in overlapping periods/places:

Late 90s (undergrad in OK): Guiness, Labatt Blue, Moosehead, Shiner Bock

Early/mid 2000s (grad school in Norcal): SNPA, Racer 5, Black Butte, Hop Devil, Ruination, Torpedo

Lastly Pliny, right before I joined BA in 2008.

17. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Meyvn (1,310) Aug 16, 2009 New Jersey
    Society

Is it weird I've been on BeerAdvocate my entire beer drinking life? I may not have been active on the forums but I loved the idea of keeping track of the beers I've had and beers I should try.

Cheers

Kemblain and Premo88 like this.
  18. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Meyvn (1,310) Aug 16, 2009 New Jersey
    Society

with that being said

I drank 2 times in HS
    -Bud Light Lime in Wildwood for prom weekend
    -Yuengling cans watching boxing

College
    -Natty Lite, Genny Cream
    -Red Stripe, Rolling Rock
    -Blue Moon, Hoegaarden
    -GLBC Dortmunder Gold, Victory Prima Pils

Post Graduation
    -Weihenstephaner Pils and Hefe, Paulaner, Spaten
    -Allagash White

6months after graduation
    -Smuttynose IPA and Founders Centennial IPA threw me down the IPA well

19. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,919) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

I guess I really didn't answer the question above properly, my favorite beer that I went to would have to be Shiner Black. it was the beer I looked the most forward to drinking when we went out on non wine nights.

Premo88 likes this.
  20. Troutbeerbum

Troutbeerbum Initiate (187) Dec 5, 2016 Maine

I’m assuming Wildwood NJ? I turned 21 three days before arriving at US Coast Guard Boot Camp at Cape May. We were given one 6 hour off base liberty after week 7. Those of us of age were allowed to drink,but not to excess, otherwise it meant being reverted(kicked back in training a company or two,which would have meant an extra week or two there.) Anyway, I remember going to Wildwood with a bunch of shipmates. We didn’t take in the sights, but found the nearest place that served beer and spent the entire time drinking beer and watching television. Only those who have spent eight weeks in boot camp can truly appreciate those two luxuries.

GormBrewhouse, Wiffler27 and Premo88 like this.
  21. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,926) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

early 1990s: Coors Extra Gold
    1992-94: Heineken
    1995-2012: Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale (with nods to Young's Special London and Ram Rod)

I got back into beer in 2012 after years of drinking very little. The craft beer phenomenon was going full blast in the background, yet I never seemed to pick up on it until late 2012.

Anyways ... now I have at least 50 favorites. Probably closer to 100. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

22. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,430) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Those party balls I provided at every cookout , I’m guessing 1981 1982 or so. Made great piggy banks too.

23. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,999) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

One thing I've noticed, its there during the late 80's/thru at least early/mid 90's there was alot of love for Canadian beers like Moosehead, Molson and Labatts. I have to admit, during my underage drinking years, I preferred Canadian over US as well for the most part. Liked them better than BMC/American swill and Euro beers were always skunky and tasted pretty much worse than anything (St. Pauli Girl, Heineken etc). This was pre-craft when AAL was all that existed in reality for most people.

24. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Crusader (728) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

When I was going to college I used to work summers (68-71) at a B&O freight yard in southwest Baltimore. One of the big customers was a Carling brewery. I remember asking someone if they weren't a Canadian company and he said "Yep, but they brew it here".

They used to have those squat bottles like a mini barrel. Went great with crabs!

lastmango and Bitterbill like this.
  25. Acinonyx

Acinonyx Initiate (55) Mar 8, 2017 Michigan
    Trader

Pre-college: Coor's Light, Beast, Michelob Ultra (my friend's dad kept the fridge well stocked), Corona

Early College(not quite 21 yet): Coor's Light, Summer Shandy, whatever was free at parties (a lot of Keystone and Beer30)

College(legal): Guinness, Oberon, Killian's (many great memories from trivia night at Charley's at UM), Right Brain CEO, New Holland Monkey King

Shortly after graduating I started paying more attention to the site.

26. Beerbadger55

Beerbadger55 Initiate (117) Aug 29, 2017 Wisconsin

late 70's early 80's pre college it was Colt 45, Schlitz Malt Liquor, Grain Belt Premium or whatever was in my Dad's refrigerator

Early 80's College was Bud, Old Mil, Old Style, and for the first time, Bass Ale, Guiness, Augsburger, Beck's etc. didn't know it then but the foundation was layed for decent but not great beer.

Life dictates behavior to a certain extent, after college money was tight and I continued on the Miller, Old Mil, Blatz, Busch program

Since 2005 or so I got in to (or was able to start affording better beers, started with New Glarus Edl Pils and Capital Brewery Amber Ale.

Now, thanks to BA the beer world is my oyster.......

27. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yeah, Carling was one of the largest brewers in the US in the 1950-1960s, peaking at #4 in period around '58-'63, with breweries all over the US (MA, MI, MD, OH, WA, AZ, IL, GA) at one time or another. They also brewed Red Cap Ale, the licensed Tuborg, Stag and Heidelberg. Technically it was a subsidiary of Carling-O'Keefe of Canada, merged with Baltimore's National in '75 and then bought by Heileman only 3 years later.

Bitterbill and CaptainHate like this.
  28. shadyside

shadyside Disciple (355) Feb 27, 2011 Georgia

70s - Schlitz, Strohs, Rolling Rock
    80s - Rolling Rock, Miller Genuine Draft, Dundee Honey Brown
    90s - Anything Sam Adams, Fat Tire

29. The_Kriek_Freak

The_Kriek_Freak Poo-Bah (2,144) Aug 18, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Teens: Kamenitza
    College: Budweiser and Erdinger
    Mid-twenties: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    Nowadays: It changes way too often. It usually rotates between some DIPA, a Gueuze, or other Belgian.

30. jesskidden

Society Trader

In the mid-80s, those three were in the Top 5 of US imported brands (along with Heineken and Beck's) - back when Canada, at #2, exported 4 times as much beer to the US as Mexico (then #4, with The Netherlands and Germany at #1 and #3, respectively).

Heineken/Van Munching even got into the mix, exporting the Grizzly Beer brand brewed at the Amstel-branded brewery in Hamilton, ON which Heineken bought from the German Henninger in the early '80s.

Coronaeus and Bitterbill like this.
  31. jesskidden

Society Trader

Well, I always get some negative feedback when I "ruin" someone's nostalgic memories :astonished:, but, according to a semi-official history of the Genesee Brewing Co. from the late1960's - 2000 (when it was sold by the Wehle family) by the company's Marketing VP (Brandweek, May 15, 2000):
    He also notes that the idea of a "Honey" beer came from a visit by Genesee's marketing guys, arranged by Jack Joyce to his Rogue and other Oregon breweries in 1993.

keithmurray, Jaycase and Bitterbill like this.
  32. Skabiski

Skabiski Defender (622) Feb 2, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Teens=Miller,Strohs,Malt Duck(the ladies loved it)
    College=Busch(3.99/12pack)
    Early mid 20's=Bass,Molson,Becks
    Late 20's=Bud
    30's=Given a Saranac mixed pack as a gift and my whole outlook on beer changed for the better.

bubseymour and thebeers like this.
  33. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,999) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Thanks! Forgot all about Grizzly. That one was also in heavy rotation with my social circle during late 80's. Can't forget Corona. That beer was huge amongst the high school kiddies at that time. I remember around 1988/1989 everyone 16-17 years old had to get one of those tan panchos with Corona label on them, particularly at the beach. Love the underage marketing back in those days. Spuds Mcenzie, Joe Camel etc....

ZebulonXZogg and GormBrewhouse like this.
  34. darkenbar

darkenbar Initiate (99) Jan 15, 2006 New York

Goebles from the parents beer fridge
    Genny Cream
    Molson Golden
    Labatt 50
    Carlsburg Gold from Canada
    Labatt Blue in bars
    Michele Sheas in bars
    micro brews
    craft beer
    local ipas

35. dgmirelli

dgmirelli Aspirant (271) Mar 21, 2015 New York

middle school and HS - imports of anything not selling (sold out back door of import beer deli)
    HS - Bud Heavy for volume and Dinkel Acker Dark for enjoyment
    College - Bud Heavy, Michelob, Molsens and Mooseheads
    Post College - German lagers
    Before IPA's - Weihenstephaner
    Present - Sand City and other NEIPA

36. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (2,233) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

Coors Light
    Grolsch
    Guinness Draught
    Miller Lite/Modelo Especial

Then ..
    Fat Tire ..... which lead into Breckenridge Avalanche Ale, then into basically all other craft/micro selections starting with amber ales and stouts, eventually getting into IPAs and basically every other style after that.

GormBrewhouse and bret717 like this.
  37. lastmango

The brewery was right off the west side of the beltway. I remember those squat bottles with the black and red label. :slight_smile:

CaptainHate likes this.
  38. lastmango

When I was young and long before Beer Advocate, I tracked my beer in my little black book . . . while my buds tracked girls in their little black books. :wink:

Wiffler27 likes this.
  39. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,385) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

High School - Genny Light, Busch, Labatts, anything we could afford/get our hands on

College - Honey Brown, Labatts Ice, Molson Canadian, Mickeys, Schlitz Blue Bull, Olde English 800, Magnum, Colt 45, Michelob, Heineken

Post College - Labatts/Molson, Heineken, Stella Artois, Becks, St Pauli Girl, Newcastle Brown

Beer Advocate - Duvel, La Fun Du Monde, St Bernardus Abt 12, Gulden Draak, Weihenstephaner Hefe, Konig Pilsener, among others.

#79 keithmurray, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    GormBrewhouse and bret717 like this.
  40. Robomunky

Robomunky Aspirant (200) May 14, 2015 Washington

High school - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale when I could get it, Bud Light when I couldn't
    College - Dixie Blackened Voodoo, Pete's Strawberry Blonde, a variety of wheat beers
    21-27 - a wide variety of stouts and porters. Mackeson XXX was a favorite
    27+ - Pliny the Elder finally got me into hops and around the same time I had Abyss and Fremont BBADS, and porters and oatmeal stouts just seemed like weak sauce after that.

Beer Advocate didn't really change what I drink at all, just got me a little more excited about what I was already doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.