Your favorite EUROPEAN country for beer...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 19etz55, Dec 10, 2014.

?

What is/are your favorite European beer country/countries?

Poll closed Aug 10, 2015.
  1. Belgium

56.9%
  2. Germany

25.8%
  3. England

8.0%
  4. France

0.7%
  5. Ireland/Scotland

0.7%
  6. Austria/Switzerland

1.0%
  7. Poland/Czechoslovakia

2.2%
  8. Sweden/Denmark/Finland

2.7%
  9. Other?

2.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 19etz55

19etz55 Disciple (312) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey

Sorry, forgot about Norway and I'm a Geography major. I'm bad.

Dupage25 likes this.
  2. Dave1999

Dave1999 Savant (959) Dec 5, 2011 North Carolina

I put Germany as my favourite.

Why is Scotland and Ireland lumped together?

BeerBob likes this.
  3. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,013) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

It just doesn't make sense for me to choose between Germany, England and Belgium as a single favorite. I love the beer culture and beer in all three

4. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,013) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Northern Ireland, but not The Republic of Ireland.

DiUr and Dave1999 like this.
  5. Dave1999

Dave1999 Savant (959) Dec 5, 2011 North Carolina

Only Northern Ireland is part of the UK, the Republic of Ireland isn't.

6. 19etz55

19etz55 Disciple (312) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey

Ok. Noted.

rgordon likes this.
  7. fuhkyou

fuhkyou Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2013 Idaho

I've had Belgian beers ON TAP @ Theresa's, Wayne and other places in and around Philly that were just phenomenal.

19etz55 likes this.
  8. BeerHistoryGuy

BeerHistoryGuy Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2014 Illinois

Wow, this is tough for me. I feel like once I pick one, I will find it hard to become elected to beer President. I'll pick one, then someone will take a picture of me drinking the other one..there goes my campaign.

I mean, Germany and Belgium is obviously the hallowed ground of beer, brewing, schools, etc. But, I love Ales. I'm Irish, but can't go with that (although why is that with Scotland? Bagpipe brews? lol) If it were pub-vote, it would be different, but, in the end I'm going to go with the the land of King George. England, it is.

1) England
    1.5) Belgium
    1.75) Germany

19etz55 likes this.
  9. beesk80

beesk80 Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2014 New York

Belgium by a long shot!!!!!!!!!!

I lived in Belgium for a while... Traveled all around Europe. It's not even close.

Thank you, Trappist Monks!

kell50, JackHorzempa and 19etz55 like this.
  10. beesk80

beesk80 Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2014 New York

Theresa's is a great spot for Belgian beers, and beers in general. I still havent figured out how theyve been able to score Pliny. Monks in the city is another awesome spot.

fuhkyou and 19etz55 like this.
  11. bushycook

bushycook Initiate (182) Jan 31, 2011 Virginia

Sedan, Fr, home of the biere de garde. I had many I had never heard of there before, and they were all Bretty as hell. Delicious if you like barnyard funk.

Canada_Dan likes this.
  12. John_Beeryman

John_Beeryman Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2014 Virginia

Germany, where I became a beer lover.

13. Tsar_Riga

Tsar_Riga Poo-Bah (2,475) Sep 9, 2013 Indiana
    Society

Belgium. True, some of my favorites come from the U.K. and Germany, but when I think about all the various styles coming from the brewers of Belgium, it really cannot be any other way.

19etz55 and JackHorzempa like this.
  14. kell50

kell50 Meyvn (1,224) Jul 25, 2007 North Carolina

Sure. From the ones listed France, England, & Belgium.

Ok, now end it! :wink:

19etz55 likes this.
  15. rozzom

rozzom Champion (878) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Yeah would have made more sense just to have an overarching "USSR" option

16. Jsteez

Jsteez Zealot (516) Apr 28, 2012 Utah

Tough choice...I chose Belgium because there are some unique brews created there; but Germany and England are very high on the list. IMO, I think Belgium beers export/import better than most German beers. Just my experience so far. Cheers!

19etz55, utopiajane and ChipMurray like this.
  17. olradetbalder

olradetbalder Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2011 Sweden

Living in Sweden, almot next to the bridge over to Denmark I will still say Belgium!
    Becuase of the lambic off course but they are not good at stuff like IPA, Imperial stout etc.

UK is now improving its beers again and you cannot fin better brewed ales anywere. They are all clean and the way the styles should taste. With that said, not as experimental and goods as in the US.

Any style lager Germany is the winner.

In the Netherlands and in Scandinavia they can brew all of this, just not as good!

19etz55 likes this.
  18. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,556) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Plus you will find good representations of belgian style by american brewers, you will find cask created beers by your local brewers around your town I bet but what american brewer is making in german style the beer?

Jsteez and 19etz55 like this.
  19. grahuba

grahuba Champion (844) Feb 14, 2011 Connecticut

Germany !

BeerBob and 19etz55 like this.
  20. mmmbirra

mmmbirra Aspirant (223) Apr 19, 2009 Italy

I would never consider Italy as a great country for beer when there are Germany, Belgium, the Czech republic and England so close by. There are some good beers being produced here, but there's no beer culture. There are only a few small groups of people in the main cities that like and understand beer(not just the new craft beer.) The rest of the population, who put a single wine bottle filled with mediocre overpriced overly sweet pale ale in the middle of a table of four, can't seem to understand that "birra artigianale" isn't just some newly discovered type of wine.

Then there's the simple truth that Italians drink the least amount of beer per capita in all of Europe, considerably less than the French.

That being said, I'd go for Germany, but I've never been anywhere in England outside of London, and haven't yet been to the Czech Republic.

21. rozzom

Trader

Although I l've heard of a couple of places in the country who brew legitimately British-esque beers and serve them (properly) from a cask, in my experience the local cask option has generally been about as British as drinking Hoponius Union from das boot is German

Jsteez, 19etz55, utopiajane and 3 others like this.
  22. Zimbo

Zimbo Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2010 United Kingdom (Scotland)

:slight_smile:
    Here here. A perfect response.

23. BronxBirdFlu

BronxBirdFlu Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2010 Germany

If looking at just the beer: Belgium. But if you are looking at the whole beer culture of a country: Germany.

19etz55 and Canada_Dan like this.
  24. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,556) Jun 11, 2013 New York

There was some good lagers this past year. So from jacks abby in the spring, their maibock was good and their marzen, and cascadian shwarzbier were terrific. Firestone had oaktoberfest which was cracklin good. I had a czech? style pilsner where some new wort is mixed in with the beer and that of course makes it cloudy. But it has a vibrant sweetness and a fresh herbal. I had beers from heater allen that were fantastic and I had weizenbocks from southern tier and from victory.

Jsteez and 19etz55 like this.
  25. wesbray

wesbray Aspirant (294) Feb 29, 2012 Alberta (Canada)

It's really not a competition. Again, without visiting the source, I don't see how anyone can make a fair judgement.

I spent my formative beer years in England so i'm a little biased, but I adore British pub culture. I have yet to find a suitable replacement for drinking a Mild in a traditional pub. In terms of imports (at least in Canada), Belgium rules, due in part to the fact that they bottle most of their good beers, and said beers also thrive in the bottle (high ABV, addition of candi sugar etc.). Their lambic beers are so far ahead of what anyone else can do with wild yeast (yes, including the US). I haven't been to Germany yet, which is very disappointing as I love the imports that I have had, despite knowing that they are not as their peak, but it is a pilgrimage I fully intend to make within the next few years and fall in love with their beer and beer culture.

The point is that every country has its own beer culture, traditions and advantages and disadvantages, which is why its really hard to compare them directly (including to the US).

Jsteez, TongoRad, 19etz55 and 3 others like this.
  26. MrIncognito

MrIncognito Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2008 Virginia

Germany and Belgium were really close for me. Overall I decided I'd have a harder time never having another German beer again over not having another Belgian. Still a close call. I'm sure part of my decision is nostalgic since Germany is where I first came to love beer.

Jsteez, 19etz55 and DarkerTheBetter like this.
  27. rozzom

Trader

This should be the stock response to "best country for beer" threads, rather than the usual - "dude, belgium.... duh!"

wesbray and herrburgess like this.
  28. halo3one

halo3one Crusader (788) Jun 6, 2014 Georgia

Portugal's easily the best.

19etz55 likes this.
  29. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Champion (868) Jan 29, 2012 United Kingdom (England)
    Trader

Indeed it is. The obvious choice really.

19etz55 and wesbray like this.
  30. atrocity

atrocity Meyvn (1,126) Dec 18, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Belgium and it's not even close. Been there and drank at the source across a few cities as well as spent quite some time in England.

19etz55 likes this.
  31. spartan1979

spartan1979 Zealot (576) Dec 29, 2005 Missouri
    Society

Easily Germany for me. I can spend weeks there drinking all the regional beers. After about three days in Belgium, I'm usually ready to move on.

19etz55 and bushycook like this.
  32. BurgeoningBrewhead

BurgeoningBrewhead Crusader (772) Jul 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

Of the countries I have actually visited, the list would go Germany > Latvia > Lithuania > Poland.
    Of which country's beer I enjoy the most, it's a toss-up between Germany and Belgium. I'm not into sours at all otherwise I'm sure Cantillon would push it over for me, but eh.

19etz55 likes this.
  33. Doctor_Bogenbroom

Doctor_Bogenbroom Aspirant (269) Nov 2, 2014 Pennsylvania

I love Belgium, but Germany gets my vote on this one. Gotta love those German beers...

BeerBob and 19etz55 like this.
  34. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,360) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Maria,

If you ever get a chance to make it down to the Philly area I would recommend a visit to the Victory Brewpub (Downingtown, PA) so you can try their various German style beers. Below is a link to what is on tap today.

I hope to be able to schedule a visit to the Brewpub this weekend to try their new beer of Hop Ticket Sticke Alt. If I was able to obtain a designated driver I would also be drinking plenty of:

· Victory Lager: a tasty Helles beer!

· Braumeister Pils: an excellent unfiltered Pilsner!!

· Zeltbier: a Pale Oktoberfest beer; right there with Weihenstephaner Oktoberfestbier

· Gose: I had one on my last visit to the Brewpub; very tasty!

The Mad King’s Weiss is nice but I prefer their other hefeweizen called Sunrise Weissbier.

Cheers!

Jack

http://www.victorybeer.com/brewpubs/downingtown/

P.S. A few visits ago they had both their Dunkel and Doppelbock (St. Victorious) on tap; that was a GREAT visit!!

19etz55 and utopiajane like this.
  35. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,661) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Since this is predominately an American forum, I suspect it is safe to assume that people are rating English beers on what is exported to here and/or the attempts to brew English styles by American brewers.

None of those compare to the experience of drinking a locally brewed ale, bitter or mild, in an English pub. Of course, the pub experience has few parallels (that I have found) in USA bars, but also the exports we get here are merely an imitation of the pub ales directly from the tap.

England got my vote.

36. MNAle

Society

Not to mention the insult to Slovakia! :wink:

37. morebeergood

morebeergood Poo-Bah (2,267) Aug 13, 2004 Massachusetts

I'm throwing my two cents in to vote for Liechtenstein!

38. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,360) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Two cents sounds about right for Liechtenstein!:wink:

Cheers!

P.S. My apologies to any BAs from Liechtenstein.

Hoppsbabo and Gutes_Bier like this.
  39. MNAle

Society

Oh, I don't know... they have to get some props for having "stein" in their name!

40. LampertLand

LampertLand Poo-Bah (2,403) Nov 2, 2011 British Columbia (Canada)
    Society

Germany - we recently won our fourth star and it's not just for our beers :stuck_out_tongue: , prost

Doctor_Bogenbroom and 19etz55 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.