Your Favorite Summer Beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Urk1127, Apr 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laketang

laketang Poo-Bah (1,536) Mar 22, 2015 Arizona
    Society

[​IMG]
    nuff said!

CrimeDog and Rollmeaway2loadout like this.
  2. pat61

pat61 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota

Goses, wits, weizens, Berliner Weiss, Lambics, Saisons, Pilsner Urquell, Cigar City Jai Alai, Cigar City Guayabera, and I also reach for big hoppy double IPAs because the bitterness reminds me of quinine and makes me think I am preventing malaria.

Jsteez likes this.
  3. manfromanotherplace

manfromanotherplace Initiate (0) May 19, 2015 New York

Jammer
    Greenport Summer ale
    Anything from Oskar Blues that isnt ten fidy, just because that isn't a summer beer.

4. ESHBG

ESHBG Devotee (421) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Good suggestions and I will also throw in Sam Adams Summer Ale and Yuengling Summer Wheat, easy to find beers and pretty easy going on the palate but still flavorful.

5. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,065) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Mexican logger and berrito...

6. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,843) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

I'd also have to add sweet action for refreshing six point beers.

hoptheology and laketang like this.
  7. drh88

drh88 Aspirant (284) Dec 21, 2005 Pennsylvania

Victory Prima Pils or Summer Love (both available in cans and pool-safe).

8. CitraGorilla

CitraGorilla Initiate (56) Apr 25, 2015 Illinois

Oddside Citra Pale Ale / Three Floyds Gumballhead

9. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (5,565) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

If you can find it, try Ommegang's Fleur de Houblon. It's my favorite summer beer.

keithmurray likes this.
  10. YamBag

YamBag Initiate (191) Feb 2, 2007 Pennsylvania

2nd both

11. kerry4porters

kerry4porters Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2012 Arizona

I like barrel aged Stouts no matter the season. But sours are great too and Gose have a fantastic salty sour sweet going on also Cigar City lacto Grove series have been awesome have had Guava, Raspberry, and Black Currant all have been tart and refreshing with fruity presence

12. Rollmeaway2loadout

Rollmeaway2loadout Disciple (348) Jan 30, 2016 Illinois

Pivo Pils, Prima Pils, SN Nooner, SN Summerfest, Anchor Steam lager, The Crisp

#132 Rollmeaway2loadout, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    Billet and BrewsingBuffalo like this.
  13. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (477) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina

Gose gone wild.

CrimeDog likes this.
  14. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Crushing heat and humidity yesterday, I had a Shower Beer and Bud Heavy in the cooler, nothing wrong with Corona and lime. Sometimes the lightness is refreshing in and by itself, and the lower Abv.

hoptheology likes this.
  15. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (668) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

I recommend just experimenting with different beers to find what you like because everyone's tastes are different, like how your parents favors drink stouts. Exploring the flavors is half the fun of craft beer anyway. Also, No offense, but you haven't given us any of your taste preferences to work from other than no stouts, so I think most of these suggestions are going to be complete chance whether you like them. Beers styles that people generally consider "summer" beers are pilsners, wheat beers, hefeweizens, wits, maibock, saisons, gose*, berliner-weisse*, pale ales, cream ales, blonde ales, kolsch, Vienna lager, and the ever-popular IPA, of course. You can find descriptions and popular examples of these beer styles (and other styles) here: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/

* - sour beer, tart flavor, and can very polarizing for many people

If you want a small step up from Corona without breaking the bank and that I'm sure are readily available in FL, I would point you towards beers from Sierra Nevada Brewing, and Sam Adams (specifically, the mix packs). If you're a dive right in sort of person, then just grab anything that catches your eye and try, try, try.

lester619 and JackHorzempa like this.
  16. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,569) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Jever is an excellent summer beer!:slight_smile:

Cheers!

17. OldManMetal

OldManMetal Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2015 North Carolina

For hot-weather beers, when I actually have to be out in the hot weather, I look for clean-finishing, crisp lower ABV beers... like Sierra Nevada Nooner pilsener or UFO White witbier. That or one of the not-as-watery "session" IPAs like All Day IPA or Pinner.

lester619 likes this.
  18. nc41

Society Trader

I've tried to like Gose's, I just can't take more than 2-3 sips. I love salt, I love sour stuff I can't drink this stuff. Tastes like seawater mixed with warheads.

19. Scott17Taylor

Society Trader

I'm not a fan either but people really tend to like them. I still think whenever a style is gaining popularity like goses have been lately it's a good idea to try a good example of the style.

nc41 likes this.
  20. 19etz55

19etz55 Disciple (328) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey
    Trader

Session IPAs. Clean/crisp and slightly hoppy.

Billydoughnuts likes this.
  21. nc41

Society Trader

Westbrook I'd suppose is that beer. Doesn't taste like beer, I can't take a long pull on a hot day. My face screws up into some wierd contortion. Not for me I suppose. I'm sure it's not, like really sure.

22. Scott17Taylor

Society Trader

If you can get it I'd agree, for me I've only tried jammer and liked my sample hated it at the end of a whole can. Oh well there are plenty of other styles.

nc41 likes this.
  23. Lewarcher1949

Lewarcher1949 Initiate (67) Jun 8, 2015 Washington

I'm drinking a Sierra Nevada Nooner Pilsner as we speak. It's very nice on this hot afternoon. Check it out,

OldManMetal and Billet like this.
  24. Billydoughnuts

Billydoughnuts Aspirant (202) Feb 22, 2015 Michigan

All Day IPA
    Pinner
    Bells has a new beer coming out very soon, Poolside Ale.

OldManMetal, CrimeDog and eppie82 like this.
  25. Bigrock

Bigrock Initiate (167) Feb 4, 2013 Texas

Move to Texas and drink Hans Pils

1ale_man likes this.
  26. Lodisgrisen

Lodisgrisen Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2014 Finland

I think my favorite summer beer is Avery White Rascal. Check it out if you haven't.

27. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird Poo-Bah (1,826) May 7, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

28. Rhymkeeper

Rhymkeeper Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2014 Alabama

So many good ones out there. Any crisp wheat beer should be considered. I've not tried many gose, but Otra Vez is refreshing.

29. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (526) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

FFF barely makes it out of Indiana/Chicago

30. lester619

lester619 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

I thought they had a wider distribution than that. In any case it's 94 here today and I'm guzzling the stuff as we speak. Cheers!

Shanex likes this.
  31. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,798) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

Take a pic and join us in WBAYDN.

Summer beer? Any lager or pilsner. I'm not a fan of either but if it's damned hot where the OP is during summer they're the best.

hoptheology and lester619 like this.
  32. Jraiona

Jraiona Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2016 Kentucky

Sierra Nevada Otra Vez.

hoptheology likes this.
  33. gonzo000

gonzo000 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2014 Massachusetts

Hello Florida!

Here are my to summer beers that I could verify are in Florida. Many of my go to's from MA and surrounding states are not available. :

1. I think of fruit in the summertime so Founders Rubeus would be a good choice if you like raspberries.

2. Now, it is odd to call an 8.5 ABV beer a summer beer, but the beer drink so like a 5.0 it is crazy - THE CALLING from Boulevard.

3. Even Keel from Ballast Point is a solid session IPA at 3.8 ABV. (not verified in FLA - but believe it to be avail).

4. Unit Black Lager - 4.0 ABV - Verified in Jacksonville area - solid beer.

5. Hate to promote Goose Island, but the Honkers Ale is 4.3 ABV and it is very good. (rated before InBev purchase).

6. Whole Foods in FLA carries Smuttynose - Bouncy House is a 4.3 abv and is very good. It is categorized as a American Pale Ale.

Will leave you with quite possibly my favorite - Easy Jack from Firestone Walker - an IPA at 4.5 that has plenty of punch to the pallet. Great beer but not in Florida. If you are ever in Texas, California, the north west or the north east seek out anything from this brewery, but an Easy Jack in the summertime.

Good luck as you start your journey into the beer landscape.

34. Cottontown201

Cottontown201 Initiate (116) Nov 16, 2013 South Carolina

Just drank my last bottle of Jack D'Or that I was saving for the arrival of South Carolina summer. Both happy and sad.

zid likes this.
  35. hoptheology

hoptheology Poo-Bah (5,931) May 12, 2014 South Dakota
    Society Trader

milk stouts are good everywhere.

:grinning:

zid likes this.
  36. hoptheology

hoptheology Poo-Bah (5,931) May 12, 2014 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I generally like to drink Gose, Kolsch, or Saison in the summer. I used to drink light beers exclusively for the summer (well, on those days where I'm outside grilling), but in the long run the three styles mentioned are just so much better. More flavor, just as refreshing.

I'd start with the Great Divide's Collette, Schell's Goosetown, or Leinenkugel's Canoe Paddler. All three are great summer beers.

Oh and don't forget Hoegaarden. That beer drinks great, damn near everywhere.

(You can also catch me sipping on a yellow belly Coors regular once in awhile, but only in cans or aluminum bottles. It's my beer weakness/guilty pleasure, lol.)

37. Scott17Taylor

Society Trader

There's actually a beer called shower beer, man I want to use that as a shower beer sometime, new ISO. Probably beats the rolling rock I used yesterday.

nc41 likes this.
  38. nc41

Society Trader

Shower beer is a Czech Pils, it's pretty good stuff, especially in the heat. It's not worth trading for given Nooner is everywhere.

39. Derranged

Derranged Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2010 New York

40. Scott17Taylor

Society Trader

Ok, i just thought it was cool because of the name.

nc41 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.