Your first drain-pour

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by LCB_Hostage, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaz_DemonKnight

Kaz_DemonKnight Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2014 Illinois

Mission Shipwrecked Double IPA, but I got it at a beer surplus warehouse in Lower East Side New York. My point is, I can't remember if it was aged. it didt taste skunked or bad though. It was good awful. Rank as all hell. Im not saying they make bad beers. Maybe they are great. But that one was awful.

2. Living_Limbo

Living_Limbo Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2014 Delaware

Lmao! It's always enlightening to try a brew again after a disastrous first time.

3. lyoung8

lyoung8 Initiate (114) Dec 17, 2011 New York
    Trader

New Beer Distributors on Chrystie Street?

4. Nuks

Nuks Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2014 Illinois

Stone - Crime

Not the beer's fault, forgot to read the label at the liquor store :slight_smile: Wasn't terrible, but I couldn't stomach a solo bomber of the stuff

Reed_iTap likes this.
  5. Ale_Dog

Ale_Dog Initiate (0) May 13, 2014 New York

SA Porch Rocker. Was in a bad mood, just didn't want to deal with the sickly sweet mess. Ditched it and moved on, and definitely won't be going back.

6. Patbrown2

Patbrown2 Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2013 Connecticut

my first (and last) sour. I gave it away after a sip, or it would have been down the drain

7. IRS4MEPLEASE

IRS4MEPLEASE Initiate (0) Jul 20, 2008 California

The porter from Indian Wells Brewing. Anything from Wild Donkey brewing aka Donkey Punch Brewing. Yuk

8. Dino_Sachs

Dino_Sachs Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2014 Colorado

Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball

9. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2012 Florida

Rogue Voodoo Maple Bacon Ale.

M_chav likes this.
  10. hoptheology

hoptheology Poo-Bah (5,347) May 12, 2014 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Leinenkugels Original. Totally not a fan.

Though my first drain pour was probably a Firebrick. Yup. Then I had it to review much later and remembered why I poured it. Yup.

11. troobie

troobie Aspirant (284) Oct 7, 2006 California

Damn, I have no doubt that that would easily enter my top 5 of worst macros ever.

Kudos to you for trying it.

spedprof likes this.
  12. Sam-VW

Sam-VW Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2014 England

[​IMG]

Mine was this...

troobie likes this.
  13. Jack_Frost79

Jack_Frost79 Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2014 Maryland

I have never poured a beer down the drain (until last night). Heard so much about Pumking and my wife and I were really excited to try it. I had heard some people love it and some people hate it. Put my wife and I both into the Hate It column. This is, by no small margin, the worst beer I have ever had. Words cannot explain how bad this "beer" is. I am utterly in shock that anyone can stomach this beer. Poured out most of a 22. Major disappointment.

14. ChainGangGuy

ChainGangGuy Poo-Bah (7,103) Sep 27, 2004 Georgia
    Society

It likely would've been my first and then subsequently all of the beers I've had from Northwoods.

15. Dolfan907

Dolfan907 Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2012 Tennessee

Assassin 2013. It was completely oxidized someone. Very sad moment. RIP assassin, or the hope to ever try a TG stout again lmao.

16. stonermouse

stonermouse Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2006 Massachusetts

Pumking. 'Tis the season for my annual Pumking purchase, head shake, and drainpour. It's become a tradition.

17. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Disciple (350) May 17, 2013 Illinois

I don't know if it was old or what (wasn't dated), but I took one sip of an Upslope IPA and wanted to puke. Instantly poured the rest out.

18. KansasBeerLover

KansasBeerLover Disciple (314) Feb 16, 2009 Kansas

I just decided that this beer was worthy of being my first drain pour in ages. I have logged over 1,600 new beers in the last few years, and I don't recall not finishing one bottle of anything. But I never tried Twisted Pine
    Cucumber Cream Ale. I got through a half glass of the bomber and can't stomach any more. :grimacing:

utopiajane, Svendozen and Glenney67 like this.
  19. Kerrie

Kerrie Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2012 Michigan

That just SOUNDS awful. Looks like the ratings on here are low as well, and it says the beer is retired, so apparently you're not alone in disliking it.

Untappd ratings seem more mixed. Hmm. I'd try it if I could but I wouldn't spend my own money on it.

WelshBrewer likes this.
  20. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio

I would have seen the word cucumber and immediately passed on it at the store. A free sample I might be willing to try just for shiggles.

21. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

It's always interesting to hear when BAs say they drink the entire beer for every beer they open. Granted you did pour some of this particular beer, I can't even imagine drinking full amounts of my last 1,600 beers.

BeerMeBro720, Duff27 and Mitchell57 like this.
  22. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,880) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

Other than a couple of really bad homebrews, the only beer I ever dumped was a sour wheat ale...I didn't know it was a sour when I bought it, I just saw wheat ale on the bottle.

23. spacecake9

spacecake9 Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2014 Illinois

That is another reason why I love bombers. It's painful to pour 5 bottle from a 6-pack down the drain. Just did it with Millstream Pumpkin and Saranac Pumpkin.

klav, PlatonicOtterLuv and Glenney67 like this.
  24. Lucular

Lucular Poo-Bah (3,313) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Society Trader

Brother Thelonius. Funny thing is I actually like it now quite a bit.

BWM-77 and Svendozen like this.
  25. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

I got through about two-thirds of a bottle of Avery The Kaiser last week and had to pour the rest because it was just awful and I couldn't justify drinking the last third.

OT: Yeah, I'm not sure any amount of money could convince me to try a Cucumber Cream Ale. Just sounds terrible in every way imaginable.

26. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Zealot (570) Sep 30, 2014 Illinois

Carson's Brown Cow. Everything everywhere for that beer talked up the maltiness and chocolate, with no mention of a hop-forward presence. The bartender who poured it for me also talked up the malt aspects. The first third of the glass was all pure floral-pine perfume - if there were any malt or chocolate present, they were getting stuffed into lockers while the hops walked off with their lunch money.

27. KansasBeerLover

KansasBeerLover Disciple (314) Feb 16, 2009 Kansas

This is a new release of a seasonal. Fresh bottle. And I like cucumbers. But this beer was just too much cucumber. Some spices would have helped.

Kerrie likes this.
  28. 302BeerGuy

302BeerGuy Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2014 Delaware
    Deactivated

Cucumber Beer ??!! This goes back to the thread of fruit/veggies do not go in beer!!!

29. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,323) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

The only thing I've ever drain poured is some awful homebrew of mine. Everything else I've got down. Though, I'll admit I've never had a cucumber cream ale

30. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Devotee (401) Feb 19, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

I've drain poured so many infected Fantomes it just isn't funny anymore

Guzzle_McBrew and 302BeerGuy like this.
  31. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

Why would you even try that unless you lost a bet

5thOhio and jlee like this.
  32. BeerMeBro720

BeerMeBro720 Initiate (0) May 2, 2013 Ohio
    Deactivated

I could send you a bottle of Elevator Ghost Scorpion Lager. If you can down an entire 12oz bottle the Bros should automatically upgrade you from Savant to Champion!

33. Svendozen

Svendozen Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2012 New Hampshire

When I first got into craft beer, my buddy the "pro" recommended some run of the mill starter beers, and a bottle of Palo Santo Marron. I tried it and dumped it. I remember hating it so much I was mad at him. (this was probably the 5th "craft beer" I'd ever had) "try it in a year, just to see how your tastes mature". I tried it again in a year (I was very apprehensive) and I absolutely loved it.

embass and Tsar_Riga like this.
  34. RobinLee

RobinLee Zealot (548) Feb 15, 2012 Wisconsin

I've yet to do so, even finished a year-old Hamm's that was given to me (can't refuse free beer).

I mean, I'm not proud of it, but you gotta do what you gotta do, because if you don't do it, that's why you gotta do it.

35. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2011 California

At what point did it stop being funny?

BuckeyeBeerhead and mlhyatt like this.
  36. CraigTravor

CraigTravor Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2013 California

I did a drain pour on Straight to Ale Intimidator... it was absolutely awful.

37. Harnkus

Harnkus Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 New York

Surprised the name alone didn't deter you.

5thOhio and 302BeerGuy like this.
  38. Smileitsfreetobehappy

Smileitsfreetobehappy Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2014 Alaska

"Twisted Pine Cucumber Cream Ale"

That would have been enough to deter me upon seeing the bottle. you should have just "happened to knock it off the shelf"
    You could of atleast saved the brewers feelings that way i mean..... obvioulsy the mo fo wasn't sane in the first place for making a beer like that. christ boyo.

302BeerGuy likes this.
  39. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,350) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Dear Lord, I will have nightmares about Cucumber Cream beer now....... Drain poured the impossibly accurately named Horse Piss. It not only raises the bar on awful, but was so bad that it seemed as if it were brewed as to intentionally spoof beer in general.

40. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Zealot (572) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Cave Creek chili beer was my first drainpour. Many years ago. A 40 ouncer of Miller Hi Life tastes like nectar compared to that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.