Your least favorite thing about being a Beer Advocate?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by John_Beeryman, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beerluvr

beerluvr Meyvn (1,221) Jan 2, 2001 Canada (ON)

Having friends/acquaintances who try some of the beers I offer reply with things like "This tastes horrible", "Tastes like shit", "Tastes like nail polish remover", etc. You know what they say: you can lead a horse to good beer.....

2. Vogt52

Vogt52 Initiate (0) May 25, 2014 Maryland

Pisses me off too, but hey.....more beer for you

beerluvr likes this.
  3. Vogt52

Vogt52 Initiate (0) May 25, 2014 Maryland

What type of laws do they have?

4. outland

outland Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2010 New Jersey

The least favorite thing?

Belching.:wink:

No, seriously; there are four, all about equal in virulence.

1) Not being able to find the beer I want at the liquor store.
    2) Being razzed about being a "beer snob" by the band I used to play with (although somehow, they definitely didn't mind me bringing the beer to rehearsals. They used to buy Bud. I usually brought Troeg's Hopback Ale. 'Nuf said).
    3) Putting up with my wife's jabs because I prefer ale and it's "low-class" (she's only a wine drinker. I usually remind her of the price of some of the ales I enjoy and this usually stops her).
    4) Enduring cheap beer with my otherwise wonderful cheeseburger if we have dinner at a restaurant with few (or poor) beer choices.

Also, I wasn't pleased when my wife recycled my beer bottle collection (over 100 different craft beers). But that's another story....

Vogt52 and John_Beeryman like this.
  5. BreweryRun

BreweryRun Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2013 California

Have to agree with this one, wish I could be unaffected by alcohol so I could try some without getting wasted every once in a while. Guess I'll have to go talk to Jim Koch.

6. outland

outland Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2010 New Jersey

Yeah, really. How weird are they?

I went to school in Denton, TX in the 70's. There was a small liquor at the south end of town, just on the north side of the county line on a highway with very little else around. I noticed that the store was on wheels and asked someone why that was. I was told that the county Denton was in would vote itself dry just about every other year. When that happened, the owner of the shop would just have the store pushed across the road and, presto, the store would be in the next county and still legal.

I never found out if they just pulling the leg of a Northener, but my guess is that they weren't.

7. putonyourwalkingshoes

putonyourwalkingshoes Devotee (465) Jul 31, 2013 California
    Trader

Worst thing about beer advocate: the fact that everyone on the first page of this post got 32 thumbs up thus elevating their status when only half of them were witty comments. Put that wittiness to use and write a damn review!

kguard, Mitchell57 and zac16125 like this.
  8. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,240) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

I know you explicitly stated this was not your question, but my least favorite thing about Beer Advocate is the ever increasing douchebaggery on the ISO:FT forums. BA is an amazing site with tons of great advocates, but its just been getting uglier and uglier over there recently.

9. putonyourwalkingshoes

Trader

I have yet to trade but some nights for entertainment I love to go to some heavy ghost whale trade offers where some real bitterness goes on... It mainly goes East/West/Midwest but nevertheless you wonder sometimes how far people can take it.

10. John_Beeryman

John_Beeryman Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2014 Virginia

I thought mine was pretty witty :wink:

11. putonyourwalkingshoes

Trader

Come on John you looking for a fight after my third Maximus!.. Nah you're alright in my book :slight_smile:

John_Beeryman likes this.
  12. lelepat

lelepat Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2014 Hong Kong

Making me more hesitant in buying beer and digging into my pocket

13. MRsojourner

MRsojourner Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2011 Massachusetts

"This DIPA tastes like you jammed a mango tree up a cats' ass"

that is funny right there^^ im keeping that descriptor

14. RummyRedbeard

RummyRedbeard Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2013 Colorado

The fact that I'm viewed as a snob. Usually if it's craft beer I will find something good to say about it but there are certain beers that I can't drink (typically macro) and all my friends know that. Sometimes I see myself coming across as pretentious even though I don't mean to be -- it's embarrassing.

15. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2006 Alabama

Wrong.

16. brewlover517

brewlover517 Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Michigan

$$$ and being unable to find what I want when I go to the store.

17. DrinkNoH2O

DrinkNoH2O Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2009 California

For me the downside is being known as the "beer guy" amongst family and friends (most of whom don't know much about beer which is perfectly fine). That in and of itself obviously isn't so bad, but I'm now predisposed to nothing but beer related gifts (birthdays, Christmas, etc.) from now until the end of time.

Don't mean that to sound petty. But I have literally every crappy beer book under the sun. Any book that says "beer" or "craft beer" or "how to smell/lick/taste/eat/shit craft beer" that has been printed I've been given, and most of them are truly awful books. There are like 5-10 tops books out there on beer (not counting homebrewing) that are actually worth purchasing.

18. Jirin

Jirin Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2013 Massachusetts

My non-BA friends tend to make positive comments when I bring beer. Like, I brought Dragon's Milk and Celebrator to a party and most of it was gone by the end.

In some cases I think people who are into mainstream beers intentionally try to react harshly and closed-mindedly to craft beer because they have no desire to change their tastes and don't want to let you win the argument. Give them the same beer with a label 'Budweiser Black' on it I bet they'd say it was decent.

beerluvr likes this.
  19. BigCheese

BigCheese Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2009 Massachusetts

Is it really any different form any other internet forum, or the public in general?

2ellas likes this.
  20. CaptainFleeker

CaptainFleeker Defender (662) Aug 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I think its the word Advocate that is my least favorite thing. When I think Advocate I think, "I'm an Advocate for children with special needs", I'm an Advocate in the fight against elder abuse" or "I'm an Advocate for pet adoption". "I'm an Advocate for beer" kinda makes me feel a little awkward. "I'm a beer geek" is much more accurate.

21. lightman1

lightman1 Initiate (79) Oct 19, 2013 Arkansas
    Trader

The insane amount of money that I spend and the weight gain.

22. logdogg

logdogg Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2008 Kansas

Agreed, in real life all the beer folks I meet are the nice bunch of people I know. With this internet thing between us people can get hateful. "Be grateful not hateful."

John_Beeryman and striker2160 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.