Your response to being served a Faux Pint Glass

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by yemenmocha, May 22, 2012.

?

What do you do when served a Faux Pint?

1. Politely bring it to server's attention, see what happens

137 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. Probably not return to the place for using it in the first place

149 vote(s)
    32.2%
  3. I do nothing - don't care that I'm being served a smaller portion with the disguised glass

149 vote(s)
    32.2%
  4. Other (please explain)

46 vote(s)
    9.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poo-Bah (2,847) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Society

Happened to me for the first time in awhile recently. My first Odell IPA came out in an Odell glass, the usual 16 oz. but all beers at the table ordered thereafter came out in the same shape glass that had the much, much thicker base & weight and about 2 oz. less beer per glass.

I was polite and brought it up to my server, asking if I could have the Odell glasses only and I was told there's no difference, then assured that they're the same volume, etc. (even after pouring one into the other myself at my table). So, they're outright denying it or completely ignorant of it. And of course, you know these days with service - the customer is always wrong.

What do you do in these situations? Poll allows multiple answers

[​IMG]

DaverCS likes this.
  2. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2004 Kentucky

As even that graphic shows, the standard "pint glass" doesnt hold a pint. As long as they arent selling "pints", I dont have a problem with the cheater glasses, if they are selling "pints", I have a problem with them serving in shaker glasses.

3. FosterJM

FosterJM Poo-Bah (3,029) Nov 16, 2009 California
    Society

I generally dont go out that often to a bar/restaurant and order a beer. Not that big of deal to me really, however I agree with this statement.

Cheers!

Donkster46 and TicoCali like this.
  4. rlcoffey

Funny and pathetic story along these lines.

I was in Jackson MS last week on business. Dinner, Im at this restaurant, order a Sam Seasonal (only decent beer on draft). Frosted mug, I realized it was kinda small, figured 12 ozs. Ordered a bottle of Lazy Mag Pecan next. They give me a new mug. Maybe 10 ozs fit. Maybe. Serving in sizes that a 12 oz bottle cant pour into is pathetic.

At this point I actually paid attention to the bottom, and it was amazing thick (and curved inside).

If Im ever in Jackson again, I wont be going back (I think that answers the question above).

tronester and yemenmocha like this.
  5. Etan

Etan Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2011 Wisconsin

If they don't advertise the serving size, then I wouldn't really be justified demanding a pint glass. But if they do, I might bring it up depending on the beer/price. Then again, I don't really like going to places where the serving size isn't indicated on the menu.

6. frazbri

frazbri Crusader (775) Oct 29, 2003 Ohio

If it's advertised as a pint, I expect a pint. If the bar doesn't list volume, they could pour it in a juice glass, and as long as the price is fair for the serving, I won't complain.

7. knightlypint

knightlypint Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2012 New Jersey

I'd like to alert NYC BAs.

There's a place, James Wood Foundry just east of 76th St and 1st Ave, which serves faux pints and charges $8 each. (They also serve Chimay in those smaller Chimay glasses for $11 each, I think they hold about 6 oz.)

Needless to say I've only been there once and have no intentions of going back.

tronester likes this.
  8. Sneers

Sneers Initiate (122) Dec 27, 2009 Pennsylvania

At a bar, I don't take the word "pint" to necessarily mean 16oz because so few places operate that way anyways. That said, I guess I don't really have a problem if all the drinks at the bar are served in either one or the other; as long as there's a fixed volume per price, I'm okay with it.

What would bother me, and as it was in your case, would be getting one when expecting the other (if they're serving both, and unless the bar has a clear policy that says $X per 14/16oz., you can't know whether you're getting a 2oz bonus on a 14oz drink, or getting cheated of 2oz on a 16oz drink).

Donkster46 likes this.
  9. knightlypint

The problem is there aren't enough BAs in the world.

The younger generation seems to be caught up in the beer hype, as opposed to becoming discerning beer drinkers, and can be sold anything associated with beer. The PBR phenomenon is symptomatic of this.

You want to see the looks I get when I go into a place and ask for a half liter, the young barmaids tilt their heads with a "Duh?" No clue what a half liter is.

As long as suckers are being born every minute the rest of us will pay the price, KP.

10. Providence

Providence Crusader (708) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

If they are advertising that they are selling "pints of X beer" then I have a problem with it. If they are simply advertising that they are selling "X beer on draft" then, while I will be disapointed, I can't take issue with it.

11. scott10010

scott10010 Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2011 North Carolina

I've been here only once as well for the same reason.

12. yemenmocha

Society

Guys.. it can go beyond the mere deceptive aspect. Even if it never says 'pint' on the menu, you could still be bothered by the industry trend to give a smaller portion in a lookalike glass. Breakfast cereal boxes have done this in recent years with inflation in food ingredients, for example.

13. cbeer88

cbeer88 Crusader (721) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

I generally just expect the 14oz "pint" and take it as a pleasant surprise when I get the real 16oz version.

14. yemenmocha

Society

Ah, a fellow pessimist. :slight_smile:

15. dukes

dukes Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2012 Maryland

Everyone is a product of their environment which, if anything, mean suckers aren't born, they are made. So I guess if you really want to blame someone for the way things are, sounds like it's your "older generation" for how they raised the "younger generation."

16. rlcoffey

I actually expect imperial pint glasses. Any time I get served in a shaker instead of a nonic Im disappointed. Im disappointed a lot.

17. Gosox8787

Gosox8787 Meyvn (1,043) Jan 24, 2009 New Hampshire

Honestly, life is too short for me to get upset over 2 oz. of beer. It's not ideal definitely, but this is the definition of a first world problem to me. Call me ignorant and a sucker, but I would rather just enjoy the 14 oz. of beer in the glass.

18. lakestclairgoose

lakestclairgoose Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2008 Michigan

why not order a "shell" and totally confuse 'em..... what volume is a "shell" anyway?

side note: labatt products in bottles are 11.5 oz.... as are many german beers i've found...

19. cbeer88

cbeer88 Crusader (721) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

It's not even that so much - it's just that the majority of places these days either serve the 14oz pints or don't even know better and just serve a mix-and-match of whatever the hell is clean and available.

Traquairlover likes this.
  20. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,772) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Likewise. I feel like I've been beaten into submission on this. The use of 14 ounce shaker glasses has become so widespread, I don't pay it any mind any more.

When I first saw them, however, it really pissed me off. Bartenders were far too careless in referring to the glass as a pint glass, often stating "and here's your pint of beer brand X." Also, the fact the shaker glasses were shaped so similarly to the regular pint glass... pretty hard to think that was just a coincidence. I felt as if the bar in question was intentially trying to pull a fast one (which in many cases, I suspect they were).

21. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,831) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

sharpski, -N8 and mh007 like this.
  22. knightlypint

How about the up-and-comers using some common sense, keeping their eyes and ears open, thinking for themselves?

Is the younger generation going to collapse as the elders die off?

BrettHead and blackhawks87 like this.
  23. yemenmocha

Society

This is a beer site. If you want to go this route for politics then fine. I'm happy to adopt the side of the investor who is happy that there enough insouciant consumers out there who will pay the same for less product and still be happy. The more of you the better.

First world problem.... /facepalm.

BrettHead, LordFoul and tronester like this.
  24. TheJollyHop

TheJollyHop Zealot (531) Sep 2, 2009 California

Only patronize establishments that serve true pints unless otherwise specified.

Problem solved.

But in answer to your query, I probably would let it go and choose either to not return or to just avoid ordering the pint sized offerings from the tap next time if the food is good. Heck I might even purchase a 12oz bottle and forgo the taps completely if that's an option.

spartanfan likes this.
  25. Gosox8787

Gosox8787 Meyvn (1,043) Jan 24, 2009 New Hampshire

I completely disagree that somehow there are a ton of investors out there getting rich off screwing people out of beer here and there. In fact, I think the negative clearly outweighs the positive. I know a bunch of people who get really upset at this sorta thing and boycott places because of it, but I'm not one of them. I don't like getting a slightly smaller portion, but I probably wouldn't even notice most of the time and certainly wouldn't get too angry over it.

26. knightlypint

It's possible we're going to be staring inflation in the face in the coming years.

If inflation comes you're going to be paying a hefty sum for those faux pints, you won't be so flippant about 2 oz of beer or the additional $2/mug. Of course the damage will vary across the country.

In NYC you'll be paying $10 for a pint of Guiness, and the beer likely won't be on the mark.

Assume the position...

BrettHead, Chaz and yemenmocha like this.
  27. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2008 California

the place a block from my house uses smaller glasses (not shaker pints, they look like 12oz nonic glasses) and very thick glass chalices (hold maybe 10oz). I really want this place to do better, and I have heard the owner is a little baffled at why his place is not becoming a beer hot spot, but this is one of the many small things. Overall, I think SD is fairly good about this, for the beer bars at least, plus there are places like Blind Lady Ale House that have pour lines on their glasses.

http://blindlady.blogspot.com/2009/07/honest-pint-goes-national-san-diegos.html

rightcoast7 likes this.
  28. CaptJackHarkness

CaptJackHarkness Champion (814) Aug 18, 2011 New York

This is a news flash for me! I usually order by the "glass" on tap or by the bottle .

29. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Devotee (400) Mar 23, 2008 California

Very few places I know of use the term pint. It's usually "regular size" and a large or 22oz size.

Chaz likes this.
  30. frazbri

frazbri Crusader (775) Oct 29, 2003 Ohio

When Dad took us to bars (70's/early 80's), beer glasses were almost always 10 or 12 ozs. Watch an old episode of All In The Family. That was a standard barware of the time.

Chaz likes this.
  31. Chaz

Chaz Poo-Bah (2,130) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Barring the rare* places that serve brands in brewery-specific stemmed glassware and true, 16 ounce pint glasses, I've grown resigned to "cheater pints" over the years, so much so that I've taken to ordering packaged beer (cans, bottles) almost as often as draught. A clean (or merely "clean") shaker pint is a nice touch when offered, but I no longer delude myself into thinking that I'll get proper glassware and pint-pours, not with Craft Beer being the hottest trend in the beer industry for the past fifteen years and everyone and their dog trying to get in on that sweet, sweet double-digit growth action.

P.S. It helps that I'm a "Switch Hitter"; boy, you should see me whack a three-leg with a Cricket bat!

*Less-rare now, but in 1990 it was very, very uncommon to find e.g. Samuel Smith's branded Imperial pint glasses at my neighborhood blind pig, and a trip to authentic British pubs was always more money than I could seem to come up with as a college kid...

32. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,772) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Couple of thoughts.

As a consumer, I agree this is not that big of a deal, and as I mentioned above, I'm pretty much accustomed to this practice now, so no big deal. However, I didn't always feel that way about it... when the practice first started it pissed me off, as I absolutely felt the bar in question was trying to pull a fast one. My reaction was the same as it had been in the past when I felt a bartender was routinely short pouring me. In fact, I was even more angry about it, as a short pour is readily apparent when you get your beer, whereas the use of a shaker glasses struck me as showing a much greater level of deviousness. The glass looked almost identical to a regular pint glass, every other bar (at the time) was using real pint glasses, and the bar in question was clearly trying to pass off the shaker glass as a real pint glass. In other words, the practice by the bar in question struck me as calculated (and while getting shorted a couple of ounces is no big deal to me, if you're a beer bar pouring hundreds and even thousands of glasses of beer a day, the savings adds up pretty quickly).

In any event, the use of shaker glasses has become so widespread that I no longer get upset about it. I know in advance the places that use them and those that don't, so now it's up to me to decide if the practice so annoys me that I need to take my business elsewhere. If everything else is/was equal when deciding between different beer bars, then I'd always go with the place that wasn't using shaker glasses (assuming such a choice even existed). However, things are never equal between different beer bars, and so I simply distinguish between those places that are a little more or a little less expensive than other places, but still worthy of my business based on other factors (quality of the tap list, customer service, food selection, etc.).

Chaz likes this.
  33. Rempo

Rempo Disciple (339) Jan 18, 2010 Indiana

Pretty soon, postage stamps will cost as much as a beer. And beer will be served in postage stamp sized glasses.

34. Danielbt

Danielbt Initiate (0) May 4, 2012 Texas

My response to buying a non-size-defined glass of beer and getting a shaker is to come to the internet and RAEG. Then, I find that it's best to RAEG at people who I feel aren't RAEGing enough.

Really, it's all about the RAEG.

jacksback likes this.
  35. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,322) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

Even if it isn't advertised as a pint it is still deceptive. A couple of very good craft beer bars by me tell you how many ounces they pour per purchase. That's all I'd ask for; to know what I'm paying for.

36. knightlypint

I can only guess there are thousands of bars in NYC. IMO 95% aren't good, their tap beers are not true.

Except for a few times per month and a few select places I avoid NYC bars, no way I'm paying $7 or $8 for a 12 oz glass of beer which won't taste right. So I've largely settled into a routine of drinking a pint per night at home, usually paying between $3 and $6 per pint. There's the occasional Stingo for $13, or a Doppelsticke (11.2 oz) for $5 or $6.

A big factor affecting value in NYC is tourism. The Europeans on vacation with an appreciated currency go a long way supporting the expensive NYC bar/restaurant scene, they present some stiff competition.

Chaz likes this.
  37. imbrue001

imbrue001 Initiate (185) Aug 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

Its like these places that serve either a dinky 10 oz size or fake 22oz (actually 18oz) glasses. It's incredibly lame.
    In general, I expect to get what I pay for. No more, no less. If less, I will probably complain about it in a review online.
    Mostly because i don't want disgruntled employees messing with my food.

38. mychalg9

mychalg9 Champion (836) Apr 8, 2010 Illinois

I chose the "other" option. It would depend on how much I am getting charged for the beer. If I deemed the price too high to pay for a 14oz beer I wouldnt go there any more. If the price was still decent I wouldnt really care. Or if the place made some kind of evil trickery mind voodoo explanation where it became obvious that they were knowingly trying to rip people off I would probably take offense. But really it all just matters about the price to me.

mmmbeerNY likes this.
  39. HuskyinPDX

HuskyinPDX Poo-Bah (2,448) Jan 23, 2011 Washington

Always makes me think of this:

Mavajoo and yemenmocha like this.
  40. Agold

Agold Defender (635) Mar 13, 2010 Pennsylvania

To be fair, how many times do you think they have ever been asked for a half liter of beer and do you actually think bars have glassware for a half liter? I could get out my graduated cylinder for you, but that might get me arrested. I would guess that it is more likely a response to an off the wall question than ignorance driving the quizzical looks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.