Your worst beer experience

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RaulMondesi, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SNOOPY

SNOOPY Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013

Played in a softball tournament in NY decades ago. We each brought six packs of our beers of choice and shared. I made the mistake of trying a green bottle I was unfamiliar with (I was about 20 at the time). It confirmed the joke about the horse with diabetes. I have never touched a Rolling Rock again. It was putrid.

Second mistake was sending a guy out to buy more beer when our keg ran dry in college. All contributed cash and he thought his mission was buy the most beer for the money. He brought back Old Milwaukee and Black Label. One of the worst hangovers I've ever experienced.

2. grrrah

grrrah Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2009 California

haha!

When I saw the title, the first thing I though was Edward 40 hands, but with Mickeys!

Providence likes this.
  3. --Dom--

--Dom-- Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2012 Missouri

drank two fortys of Steel Reserve..... next day felt like someone hit me in the face with a 2x4... worst hangover I've ever had

4. AndrewBV

AndrewBV Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2012 Connecticut

I bought a cool looking beer before I knew better.

It was Wild Blue.

Sokool likes this.
  5. zestd

zestd Savant (1,027) Jan 18, 2013 Idaho

Saint Patty's day. Green beer, which in this case was Natty light with food coloring. Two day hangover. College kids drink stupid stuff.

6. LMT

LMT Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2009 Virginia

I don't know if it's my worst ever, but my most recent...

Block party at a neighbor's house last fall (I didn't really know the hosts all that well) and went with my wife and small children. The neighbor homebrews and says he has an IPA (his first attempt at one) but wasn't satisfied with it, so is reluctant to share. A few fellow beer geeks and I beg him to pop it open and he does. It's good, but tastes more like a belian strong dark ale. I proceed to have a few red solo cups full of it (on top of a few other lower ABV bottles I'd already had).

I start to walk home with wife and kids and my vision was SEVERELY blurred. Got home and had the spins (for the first time in many, many years). Kids wanted to know "What's wrong with daddy?" Passed out.

All I said to my wife the next morning was "I think that homebrew had a lot of alcohol in it."

For those that homebrew, any idea what a typical ABV would be for something in this situation (the guy was relatively new to homebrewing, and as I said, it tasted like a belgian strong ale)?

7. Gassygunslinger

Gassygunslinger Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2012 Maine

Madrugada Obscura Dark Dawn Stout. It was my first day of my first vacation at my new job, and decided that I wanted to spoil myself. A few weeks prior I had my first bourbon barrel-aged stout (Allagash Bourbon Black), and wanted to try some more. The guy at my local shop hooked me up and found that they carried two barrel-aged stouts. One was Porcine Unidragon by Clown Shoes. The other, Madrugada Obscura. Paid a pretty penny for both, but as someone who LOVES stouts and porters (I drink them almost exclusively), I was stoked.

Had the Unidragon first, and it was fantastic. I had just as high hopes for the Madrugada. Poured it out, and it looked like a solid stout. Jet black. Took a sip. *PTEH!* Lemon juice. There was nothing stout-like about it at all, save for the color. It was a sour ale, and I am not a fan of sour ales. Perhaps it was one of the greatish Flemish sours of all time. Don't know. I'm not a fan of the style, and can't make any accurate judgements on their quality. But if you call your beer a stout, and make absolutely no mention of its sour nature on the bottle, I think I have the right to be pissed. Perhaps a great sour ale, but it's the worst stout I've ever had. And not worth my $17.

Disclaimer: From the reviews I've read, Madrugada is a fine sour ale. I can accept that. What I do not accept is the mis-labeling and giving no head-up to the true style of the beer. It's as if I ordered a fine cut of filet mignon, and they handed me a salad. Whether it's a great salad or not doesn't matter. It's not what I ordered.

8. SteelCity75

SteelCity75 Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2013 Connecticut

I don't really have any terrible experiences. I guess my worst experience would be my first. I was in elementary school, opened my stepdad's mini-fridge in the middle of the night because he always had soda. Thought I was taking a drink of Dr. Pepper, turned out to be Bud Light.

9. Spaghett

Spaghett Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2011 California

South By Northwest by Widmer Bros. Apparently I am allergic to pecans.

77black_ships likes this.
  10. chiefojibwa

chiefojibwa Initiate (0) May 19, 2009 Washington

i've told this story here before, but here goes. they had pliny the younger at my local brewery/bar a few years ago. i was so excited, and there were not a lot of people so it was easy to get multiple pours. i had three glasses...and a bowl of chili. then i went home and smoked a big bowl.

you do the math.

DelMontiac likes this.
  11. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2010 California

Meet me at Beachwood BBQ anytime and I will bring you a Westy.

That movie in Bruges is so awesome I've been wanting to go there ever since.

You's a bunch of fookin elephants...

kerry4porters likes this.
  12. chiefojibwa

chiefojibwa Initiate (0) May 19, 2009 Washington

i went to woodstock '94, and woodstock '99 made '94 look like the good ol' days of peace and love.

luwak likes this.
  13. craft_shannie

craft_shannie Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2012 Indiana

ditto.

14. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Oklahoma

Sounds like a pretty damn good day to me. You sure that was your worst experience?

RyanLigeia likes this.
  15. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2011 Maine

It was madness...wonderful and horrible all at the same time.

16. loafinaround

loafinaround Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2011 New York

I swear I want a 2 oz pink bottle... just so I can experience the hideousness
    I've heard they're supposed to come out with an elvis doughnut soon. mmmm.... delish!

17. deleted_user_373835

deleted_user_373835 Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2009

Tickets to a local outdoor beer festival. Beautiful day in July. I have a fever, splitting headache, sore throat, and despite really wanting to tough it out, I stay back and give up my ticket.
    My wife goes with a couple friends, one of whom is using my ticket.
    She starts texting me all of the names of the breweries she knows I love and telling me what they have on tap.
    Then the phone rings and I'm hearing a Grateful Dead cover band at the festival is playing Sugar Magnolia and she's holding up her iPhone so I can listen. Favorite Band and top 5 song. I didn't even know there was going to be entertainment at this event. I know she had good intentions, but it was killing me. Next time, I'll be going and hope the alcohol kills the pain.

18. Ohsaycanyoubeer

Ohsaycanyoubeer Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2012 Colorado
    Deactivated

That night I got drunk and woke up with a 3/4 full bottle of BCBS Rare on the table...

luwak and WoodburyMN like this.
  19. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

It's been out for a while now.

20. Schmittymack

Schmittymack Pooh-Bah (1,760) Sep 3, 2008 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Having the 24 hour bug at DLD '10. Still attended so I could do all my trades that were lined up but it was miserable not being able to sample any of the great brews around me that day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.