Yuengling Announces New Seasonal, Summer Wheat Traditional Weizen Beer

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jason, Mar 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommyguz

tommyguz Savant (997) May 14, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Interesting, was thinking of picking some up this weekend when I come East, as I figured it might be cheaper there than in Erie...

2. ohiobrew

ohiobrew Initiate (158) Apr 27, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

Picked up a six pack today. It is a pretty good hefe. I also picked up a bubblegum flavor along with the banana/citrus and a hint of clove. Wish I could get it for $19 a case. It's $6.99 a six pack in Ohio, but still a good deal and the best beer Yuengling has made in my opinion. I hope they continue to make more flavorful beers like this.

3. Matthew1788

Matthew1788 Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2013 Ohio

Just picked up a sixer of this today. I have to say, this will be a staple in the fridge for the hot summer days. For the price, its very nice. Delicious, bravo yuengling!

4. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Devotee (483) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

I still haven't tried it. I will the next time I see it.

5. jimmypa

jimmypa Initiate (166) Nov 15, 2012 Pennsylvania

Tried it yesterday, thought it was really good, great easy drinking in the summer sun beer! Can't beat the price!

6. Ohiolager

Ohiolager Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 Ohio

bingo! great hefe for the price! all Yuengling needs now is an IPA and a stout. well maybe they could use more but good brews take time. :slight_smile:

creepinjeeper likes this.
  7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,177) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

"and a stout" They do make a Porter.

Cheers!

8. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,864) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

But they once did have both in their portfolio :wink::
    [​IMG]
    ("Brown Stout" being common US terminology, both pre- and post-Pro.)

9. SlovenianMight

SlovenianMight Initiate (105) Aug 7, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

Budget wheat beer? Count me in.

10. SchmitzBeerFarm

SchmitzBeerFarm Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2008 Pennsylvania

Just cracked my first one. Well done.

11. Clevelandcraftguy

Clevelandcraftguy Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2013 Ohio

Had my first one when I got home from work earlier today. Sooooo glad to now have these! Superb budget beer!

12. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Zealot (514) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

They are marketing it as a traditional german weizen style beer. Not an american adjunct lager. Forgive me but
    i hate Yuengling, If there are 2500 breweries in the country i could put them at maybe 1250 on a list of best to worst breweries. I hate that they get any press on this site, There are so many better beers worth discussing. Cheers

HRamz3 likes this.
  13. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,374) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

Have you had the Summer Wheat yet? Its really quite nice and priced decent to boot. Reminds me in a way of Kellerweis.

14. Ohiolager

I have had their porter. not the best porter, but far from bad. Great deal for the price!

15. Ohiolager

One reason is Yuengling is America's oldest brewery. Adolphus Busch, Frederick Miller, Adolph Coors and other German brewers that came to america followed in his footsteps. In a time before Pasteurization, Yuengling was the first to carve out the bottom of a mountain to keep its beer cold. (Now that's old school quality control.) True Yuengling is not as good as todays craft beer, but in my opinion their brews taste better than the three big three brewers. And they are a smaller brewery, with less money. And their beer is cheaper than the big three. Why so much Yuengling hate? Based on sales in 2011, Yuengling was tied with the Boston Beer Company, maker of Samuel Adams brands, as the largest American-owned brewery.

#55 Ohiolager, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  16. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Wisconsin

seriously, how can anyone hate on them. it's the only cheap mass produced beer that i actually enjoy. yuengling puts BMC to shame.

KentT, wonothesane42, ESHBG and 2 others like this.
  17. Ohiolager

For a person who "hates" yuengling you dont give a reason why. Since 2012 your 55 beers have no descriptions. Describe what you smell/taste. why you like it, why you don't.

18. Torch_Lake

Torch_Lake Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2013 Ohio

Yuengling is a beer that I never choose among a big selection, but will gladly drink if it's the only thing available. In fact, each time I have their lager (I still won't stoop to their light beer), I enjoy it more than I was expecting. I'll definitely try this wheat beer, and am hopeful that it might be available at places that have otherwise lousy selections.

19. DougC123

DougC123 Disciple (329) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

I like 'Vitamin Y' as we call it around here, and I have run lots of barrels (Lager, Porter, and Black & Tan) through my kegerator. I also like Heady Topper. No reason to hate, both have their places.

KentT, ESHBG, creepinjeeper and 2 others like this.
  20. HRamz3

HRamz3 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2010 Pitcairn

Agreed. It's mostly people who are from areas where Yuengling is "new" and trendy. Their beer is crap, always has been. People in Schuylkill County laugh at anyone who thinks Yuengling is a good beer.

klinger and Uniobrew31 like this.
  21. Uniobrew31

Trader

You read all 55 of my beer ratings? I don't know if I should be flattered or creeped out. I think I am leaning towards the creep but heres your answer. It is basically sweet brown adjunct lager that I never took a liking to. It tastes tinny, Mouthfeel is like a coca cola, Smells like the basement of a penn state frat, and looks like an amber lagar… And the company is run by a fifth generation spoiled brat who expands his business everywhere in the country except his depressed coal region home town. So i aint drinking it.

22. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,864) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

:rolling_eyes: Even discounting the breweries of Europe, many US breweries that pre-dated Yuengling's brewery by decades had underground cellars for fermenting and aging beers. For instance, this brewery built in 1744 (for the "pics or it didn't happen crowd" :wink:):
    [​IMG]
    It was the invention of mechanical refrigeration, rather than pasteurization, that eliminated the need for them in the modernizing brewing industry of the late 19th century.
    Huh? Yuengling is still distributed in fewer than 20 states, and when they needed to build a second brewery* due to capacity constraints and being "landlocked" in Pottsville, the new brewery's location was approximately 2 miles from their existing one. Most breweries built their second facility closer to 1,000-2,000 miles away.

*Yuengling also bought the old Schlitz-built plant in Tampa while the Mill Creek brewery was under construction for its third brewery.

creepinjeeper and JimsArcade like this.
  23. klinger

klinger Initiate (104) Oct 9, 2012 Ohio

That was me 30+ years ago growing up in the far northwest corner of Schuylkill Co. Only the old guys drank that swill. But, years later I "rediscovered" Yuengling and, while it's not great, I won't turn it down.

HRamz3 likes this.
  24. Uniobrew31

Trader

Exactly, Tampa is no where near the original brewery. They could have easily expanded in PA. They are dicks (pun intended). But seriously are there no other beers worth talking about???

25. Uniobrew31

Trader

I think the original post was meant for "beer that you drank in college but still force down from time to time because there was no other option at the VFW.. advocate.com" I will stop now, I think you all get it, I dislike everything about Yuengling. :wink:

26. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,374) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

But have you had the summer wheat? I agree with you about the general vibe about them .. but have you had it yet? Seriously don't knock it till you try it.

Bone53 likes this.
  27. HeelsandEers

HeelsandEers Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2013 West Virginia

I dislike Yuengling as much as the next guy, but this Summer Wheat is pretty solid. First beer I've ever had from Yuengling that I would consider buying in stores.

28. Matthew1788

Matthew1788 Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2013 Ohio

Agreed, I have despised yuengling for a while now. My brother got this other day and I was quite surprised. It's a very refreshing beer. I drink what I like, not what other people say I should like. Hey look! I'm drinking one right now.

Bone53 and FatBoyGotSwagger like this.
  29. Ohiolager

What i meant was Yuengling is america's oldest brewery. And therefore did this well before Busch, Miller and coors. Brewery's is Europe did this well before any brewery in America. Oldest brewery in the world being weihenstephaner.

30. Dweedlebug

Dweedlebug Disciple (342) Feb 28, 2012 Pennsylvania

Why the hell would they open a third brewery in PA? So they can pay even more to ship their beer to new markets? That would just be foolish.

Yuengling's "goodness" or "badness" is very contextual. In comparison to standard BMC offerings, Yuengling is a good beer. In comparison to craft offerings, it is not.

31. Ohiolager

Well said, however their summer wheat is amazing. As I drink It I wonder is this a craft beer? It's damn good! (check out my review of the brew)

WesMantooth and Bone53 like this.
  32. Bone53

Bone53 Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2014 Pennsylvania

As others have mentioned, this is great compared to BMC, Shock Top standards. This may very well be my favorite Yuengling beer and I will grab more this summer, even though I'm a hop head and love crafts. For the price, I don't see how you could do better.

33. JackHorzempa

Society

“As I drink It I wonder is this a craft beer?” There is no doubt in my mind that Yuengling Summer Wheat is an authentic hefeweizen and deserving of the moniker: craft beer.

For those who are interested in the Brewers Association definition of craft brewery: Yuengling Brewing is now classified as a craft brewery.

Cheers to Yuengling for making a tasty hefeweizen (Summer Wheat)!

WesMantooth and FatBoyGotSwagger like this.
  34. DougC123

DougC123 Disciple (329) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

Maybe your hatred is clouding your judgement. They did expand in PA, which yields jobs in that area. Clearly people are buying their product which gives people jobs to those who distribute and sell their beers. They also expanded in FL which yields the same economic benefit there. You would have to look pretty hard to find many other family businesses this old still being run by the family. You may not like the beer, and you clearly have a bug some place because you think the generation that is running the business are spoiled brats, but they are an American success story and haven't sold out like so many other businesses. You don't have to like their beer, but there is no reason to hate on their success. 99.9% of family businesses will never be as successful or as long lived as Yuengling.

#74 DougC123, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    hoptualBrew, kuhndog, Bone53 and 2 others like this.
  35. dashmartino

dashmartino Initiate (166) Aug 30, 2006 Pennsylvania

straub is also coming out with a hefe, as is susquehanna brewing company. should be a good wheat beer summer in PA!

36. Jpinoniemi

Jpinoniemi Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2014 Ohio

I really enjoyed the Summer Wheat, a good beer for a good price. I'm glad to see Yuengling branching out with other beers than their lager.

wonothesane42 and JackHorzempa like this.
  37. JackHorzempa

Society

"...a good beer for a good price." That sums it up right there!

Cheers to Jpinoniemi!

kuhndog, wonothesane42 and Jpinoniemi like this.
  38. blinman

blinman Initiate (53) Apr 15, 2014 Connecticut

Looking forward to trying it this weekend when we visit our daughter in NY - wheat beers are my favorite!

39. creepinjeeper

creepinjeeper Defender (655) Nov 8, 2012 Missouri

We went club hopping in downtown Nashville last October. My gf's brother insisted on buying me Bud Light Platinum. He wouldn't let me pay, and I didn't want to hurt his feelings, so I asked him to let me try a Yuengling because I can't get it in Chicago. I was glad I did. Traditonal Lager was so much better than the standard BMC fare. I brought some back and, when he visited for Christmas, he brought me a case. In my opinion, it's a really good everyday beer at an everyday price.
    My "connection" has since moved back home. The point of this story? I am going through some serious Yuengling envy right now! Thanks for your time.

Jpinoniemi and ESHBG like this.
  40. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (282) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I grabbed a 6-pack recently and for the price it's definitely a great buy, and I enjoyed it! I could see this being one of those beers that could be a real crowd-pleaser during the summer and one that you could bring to a function and folks would be happy with it.

Bone53 and creepinjeeper like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.