Yuengling Announces New Seasonal, Summer Wheat Traditional Weizen Beer

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jason, Mar 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blinman

blinman Initiate (53) Apr 15, 2014 Connecticut

Unfortunately I couldn't find it anywhere around where my daughter lives (Lake George area) - I went on Yuengling's website and found out the closest place that carried it was a good 45 minutes away (BJ's in Saratoga Springs). I know, I should have checked the website first.

2. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (4,100) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

I had this on tap over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised, it's a good Hefe!

3. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Defender (620) May 29, 2011 Florida
    Trader

Your right. How dare they run their successful, family owned, historic brewery the way they see fit.

Blueribbon666, sajaffe1 and jcos like this.
  4. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Defender (620) May 29, 2011 Florida
    Trader

The hefe is pretty descent imo, great price, easy drinking and refreshing summertime brew. Will be buying several packs of it for pool and beach days.

5. Shandycan

Shandycan Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2014 Pennsylvania

Definitely pleasantly surprised with this one, and at ~$20 a case, I'm for sure enjoying some in the warmer weather!

Blueribbon666 likes this.
  6. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,363) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Lol, so two totally different opinions one after the other. HRamz3 says Yuengling is considered crap beer in the local counties, then Uniobrew31 complains that people in the local counties/towns can get enough of it. Funny.

For the record, I've been a life long PA resident and my father was born in a little town 10 miles from Pottsville and even today still has relatives up there, so I've got plenty of experience with Yuengling and Yuengling served up in that area. Lots of locals still love it and drink it, maybe not so much Lager, but the rest of their stuff. The people that think it's crap beer are the craft snobs that can't see it for what it's worth. A solid line up of beers that is better than BMC, but not up to the level of top notch craft breweries. Yuengling has a place in today's craft beer culture and deservedly so.

I've tried the hefe, and it's exactly what Yuengling is. A solid beer that I would drink anytime, but given my choice, there are better options out there for me to drink.

7. Ross_Miller

Ross_Miller Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2014 Maryland

Thank you.
    I tell everyone this, almost every day. Yuengling can bee a craft drinker's "cheap" alternative.
    They have decent beers that beat craft on pricing every time.
    I'd love to see Yuengling take a crack at an all malt version of the lager, just to see what the taste/pricing differences would be.

FBarber, Kadonny and cello like this.
  8. HRamz3

HRamz3 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2010 Pitcairn

I may know your dad! I cut my beer-drinking teeth in every little bar throughout Schuykill and Berks counties. Pre-Lager days. It was either us young kids or the really old guys drinking the Vitamin Y. Any self-respecting working man was ponying up the extra 0.15 for a PBR (when it was actually considered a premium brand).

Of course you're experiences were different. That's the way it goes. No worries.

Uniobrew31's complaint was only in regards to be company's business practices (of which I have no opinion).

9. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,363) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Haha. My dad was not a huge beer drinker, but my grandfather was. Some of my early memories had me sitting at the North Ward Social Club in Schuylkill Haven with my Grandfather as I watched them play pool and darts while I sniffed the cork from the Yuengling Premium bottlecaps my grandfather had opened. I think that's where it all started for me and beer. PBR was a luxury, and of all the time I spent up there I can only remember my one Uncle drinking PBR from the pounder cans, but he was highbrow and lived in Hamburg, not Schuylkill Haven.

Lager was the beer that put Yuengling on the map outside the area, but back in the day everyone drank the Premium and the Porter with an occasional Lord Chesterfield. Still, it was mostly Premium that was seen in bars and homes.

FBarber and HRamz3 like this.
  10. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (444) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

shand likes this.
  11. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (243) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

Thought we were only getting the Lager, the Light, and the Black and Tan in RI but I saw this and picked it up and its pretty decent.

12. Skipster

Skipster Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2014 Michigan

I sure wish we could get Yuengling in Michigan, I would surely check this one out! BTW, this is one of the most authentic breweries to ever tour, I highly recommend making the trek.

13. TheBeerNation

TheBeerNation Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2014 New York

It is a pretty good summer alternative to Yuengling lager

14. nate-henry

nate-henry Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2014 Michigan

had it...tastes like panther piss

turbotype likes this.
  15. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (513) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

Pleasantly surprised indeed, been buying it frequently since it came out, it has been my go to for this season so far. As far as their offerings go for me it's Porter, Summer Wheat, Oktoberfest, Lord Chesterfield, Bock, Black & Tan & finally the Lager. I'd buy Yuengling over Leinenkugel's everytime, both price point & overall product.

16. KentT

KentT Aspirant (205) Oct 15, 2008 Tennessee

Indeed. This Summer Wheat for me is the best beer for the price. A very decent Hefeweizen for cheap. Better than Shock Top and Leinenkugel offerings. An excellent summer beer. Has the banana and clove notes with some light bubblegum notes and a decent malt/hop balance.

victory4me and DarkDragon999 like this.
  17. jawas

jawas Initiate (184) Dec 4, 2013 New Jersey

20 years ago in NJ Yuengling WAS CRAFT BEER. Sure we had imports we couldn't afford, but there was Miller, Bud or you drove out to Pottstown and got a case of black and tan, porter and lager and you were the man until it ran out. I refused to drink american beer for so long, spent too many summers in england and france, and at a college party in Allentown a friend of a friend put a Yuengling porter in my hand and said drink it, its not what you think and I was hooked since.

18. SpaceEurope

SpaceEurope Initiate (62) Dec 26, 2012 New Jersey

For the last goddamn time it's Pottsville, not Pottstown.

eb1610 likes this.
  19. jawas

jawas Initiate (184) Dec 4, 2013 New Jersey

But I use to get my beer in Pottstown, at some beer outlet on my way back from Reading.

I guess I could have driving out of my way north to Pottsville, to buy beer, but it was Pottstown on my way back to NJ.

20. upsbeernut

upsbeernut Aspirant (283) Sep 22, 2011 Georgia

ive had panther piss before and I believe its closer to skunk piss

21. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (243) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

Its very similar to Hoegaarden.

22. 6470zzy

6470zzy Initiate (37) Jun 11, 2006 Massachusetts

Anyone know if the Summer Wheat is bottle conditioned? I would be interested in harvesting the yeast.

Cheers

23. Psychromatic

Psychromatic Initiate (146) Oct 19, 2008 Alabama

this is a pretty darned good Hefeweizen for a VERY reasonable price.

it's not THE best Hefe, but it may very well be THE BEST Hefe VALUE for your buck!

I'll be getting MORE of this delectable treat while it lasts!
    grats to the Big Y for making an awesome summer brew!

ESHBG, JackHorzempa and LuskusDelph like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.