Yuengling Beer Company moving forward with plans to build a "beer-themed" hotel

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by FBarber, May 12, 2019.

1. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,723) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Interesting development out of Yuengling - Tampa.
    https://www.phillyvoice.com/yuengling-beer-hotel-tampa/

2. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,796) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

No one:

Yuengling: We're building a Yuengling hotel

3. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (700) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Won’t be staying there.

Ever since I found out that this Family supports our president I stopped buying their beer and will continue to not buy it.

Enjoy

4. CityofWind_brew

CityofWind_brew Disciple (389) Jan 15, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Let’s keep politics out of this, We are here for beer. Yuengling has been the best selling brewery in American each of the last handful of years, certainly your lack of business won’t be detrimental to them:stuck_out_tongue:

5. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (700) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

No, I’m sure it won’t. If everyone spoke with their wallets many things could change though. I speak with mine every day.

Enjoy

6. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,746) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

:thinking_face: Might want to rephrase that. A couple of brewing companies with "breweries in America", MillerCoors and Anheuser-Busch, sell 20 to 30 times, respectively, as much beer in the US as Yuengling does.

Buckeye55 and FBarber like this.
  7. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (1,849) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I would never let politics infringe on my love for beer. That's extremely silly, at best. Seriously...

8. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,746) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

Seriously? Hey, complain to union-busting Dick Yuengling, Jr., he started it.
    Dick, Jr. has no problem with "politics infringing" on the running of his brewery and doesn't think it's "silly" at all.

So, if @Giantspace wishes to react to Yuengling's statements and political donations, and not spend his money so that Yuengling can contribute a portion of it to causes or candidates Giantspace doesn't support, seems fair to me and not deserving of his opinion being called "extremely silly".

9. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (1,849) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

While I'm not a Yuengling fan, I'm a fan of beer. From what I could surmise, @Giantspace used to be a supporter. I suppose I look at things from a simple perspective. If I like something and it tastes good to me, I will continue to buy it. I couldn't care less about their politics. I just want to drink good beer.

MNAle and craigo19 like this.
  10. invertalon

invertalon Crusader (746) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

This 1000x and not just for beer, either.

Politics are extremely silly, at best, in general. So yeah...!

About the hotel... Interesting. If done right, it could be successful. Florida people love their Yuengling, in my experience!

TheIPAHunter likes this.
  11. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,946) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

From the linked article with emphasis in (bold by me)”

This new development will not only offer visitors an enhanced brewery hospitality experience but will also increase our presence in the local community."

I think a challenging situation for distributing breweries is to serve the demands of locavore beer consumers. The breweries that are experiencing the most growth are the small, local segment. It seems to me that projects such as this in one way that larger, distributing breweries can provide a sense of local beer drinking. From my visit to the Sierra Nevada Mills River, NC location I get the sense that providing a local beer drinking experience (e.g., beer garden) is very popular with the locals and tourists alike.

I wish Yuengling well with this venture.

Cheers!

Scrapss, Buckeye55, meanmutt and 2 others like this.
  12. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (183) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

Is it worse than refusing to look at a product because x or y company owns it?

nc41 and tone77 like this.
  13. MJS08

MJS08 Aspirant (295) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Society

I live in the area, and had no idea he felt we needed "Trump in there". For me, I believe he really needs is to have some work done on Golden Pilsner. That stuff is terrible. I bought a 12 pack, and am back in the days of putting my glass in the fridge before opening one. Anyway, I guess the beer hotel will beat the local Motel 6 and a sixer of Natty Lite. Maybe not.

Scrapss likes this.
  14. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,474) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Yuengling are union-busting a-holes. Also Clean Water Act violators. And tax dodgers. And they fund efforts to eff over workers.

(And for folks who care more about beer than their communities — Yuengling’s beer is mediocre at best.)

Scrapss, zstef99, rgordon and 3 others like this.
  15. Sheppard

Sheppard Savant (971) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia

I don't see the appeal of this. Are there people that would actually stay at a Yuengling hotel? Is this going to be entirely supported by Pennsylvanians on vacation or visiting for Spring Training to see the Phils in Clearwater?

Scrapss and VoxRationis like this.
  16. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,946) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Locals are 'permitted' to go to the beer garden as well.

Cheers!

Sheppard likes this.
  17. wspscott

wspscott Champion (883) May 25, 2006 Kentucky

Yuengling Tampa is right in between the University of South Florida (~65000 students) and Busch Gardens. 20 years ago I worked at the Embassy Suites hotel near USF as a bartender. Tons of business people on weekday/nights looking for something to do and tons of parents/kids on weekends looking for something to do.

My guess is Yuengling is looking to build a destination that will draw locals but especially draw tourists who are already in the area. But I haven't lived in Tampa since 2001, so I could be totally wrong :slight_smile:

FBarber likes this.
  18. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (308) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

How do you feel about having clean drinking water?

Beer is silly. Politics are serious as heart attack.

Scrapss, mambossa, rgordon and 2 others like this.
  19. officerbill

officerbill Aspirant (215) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

So do I.
    I use my wallet to tell companies that if they put out a quality product at a reasonable price, I'll support them.

20. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (242) Mar 28, 2011 New York

People that vote against their self interests baffle me, and by self interests I could mean - a living wage, healthy environment, a properly funded govt, etc. - why are these things up for debate? So if Yuengling actively supports the debasement of these things through their actions (workplace and political) - F them.

zstef99 and NodEast like this.
  21. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Zealot (513) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

So much for investing in Pottsville as he promised to do when he busted the union. No thanks.

Scrapss and NodEast like this.
  22. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,820) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Hmm, 2.8 Million isn't enough for you?

23. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (308) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

I kind of get why people operate this why but I'm always surprised at how many of them seem to be proud of it.

NodEast and jesskidden like this.
  24. Ranbot

Ranbot Champion (855) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

@officerbill What about when there are multiple companies who put a quality product at a reasonable price, but some of those companies have acted or made statements disagreeable to one's views, morals, etc.? Your purchasing parameters are too narrow...

I think it's also interesting that @Giantspace says this, because he supports low-priced beer and regularly states his beer budget goal is to average $1 per beer (12oz). He's not the stereotypical craft beer consumer who blindly opens their wallet to kum-bah-yah chanting craft brewers. I am sure he's keenly aware that Yuengling is competitively priced and high quality product just like you, @officerbill, probably are, yet he chooses alternatives anyway.

For what it's worth, I'm not anti-Yuengling. I buy their beer occasionally. I don't personally feel strongly enough about their political side issues to change my purchases, but others can do as they want. *shrug*

As for the Yuengling hotel... I can't think of a reason I would want to travel to Tampa, so I can't think of reason I would be staying there, but I hope it works out Yuengling and Tampa nonetheless. *shrug*

FBarber likes this.
  25. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Zealot (513) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

No. Doesn’t come close to what he promised.

26. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,820) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

What was promised?

Edit: Would be nice if there was a link to the list or some other sort of document so we can keep track of promises made and promises kept.

#26 drtth, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
    RobH and Scrapss like this.
  27. officerbill

Society Trader

II truly don't care about a company's stance on political or social issues. If the business is publicly traded their only responsibility is to maximize profits for the shareholders; if privately owned the owner can do whatever he wants with his property (ie chik fil a not opening on Sunday). Quality products at reasonable prices is the only relevant parameter.

I'm not going to try to coerce a person or business into adopting my opinions and beliefs. Google and Mozilla each bowed to such attitudes and fired employees, not for poor performance, but for doing nothing more than donating to a political cause and expressing an opinion. Is that the world you want to live in? One where you are judged on ideology rather than performance?

I agree completely. The only time I by Yuengling is when I visit my mother (it's her preferred beer), but that's because I don't particularly care for their beers not because the people running the company have different political or social opinions.

Scrapss likes this.
  28. officerbill

Society Trader

Because "best interests" is completely subjective. You and I both vote, by ballot or wallet, for differing ideas of what is in our best interests and I have no desire to force my "best interests" into you.

As opposed to being proud about trying to punish someone based upon their religious, social, or political beliefs?

I went round & round about that attitude with my father and I no longer judge a product based solely on who produced it.

29. Ranbot

Ranbot Champion (855) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

I disagree. It's a very significant parameter, but definitely not the only relevant one.

"Ideology" is loaded term when we're really talking about "ethics" here. So, swap ideology for ethics and I will unequivocally answer, YES. There are great potential dangers to barring ethics from being a factor in a purchasing choice, or any choice for that matter. History is filled with examples. It's unethical not allow ethical considerations.

I tend to lean towards allowing free markets to do their thing with minimal interruption, so I think I understand where you are coming from, but here's the problem... Your [straw man] arguments are overly-simple that do not reflect reality of how the vast majority of consumers operate in a free market. In a free market people are free to choose how to participate in the market (i.e. how to spend their money) for any reason they deem of value to them, which might different than what you value.

30. officerbill

Society Trader

I completely agree with you. You are free to allow a company's business practices to determine your shopping habits (my son has refused to shop at Wal-Mart for 10 years) if that is important to you.

Ranbot likes this.
  31. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,460) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

If that market needed a hotel, this is a pretty option. But I guess I don't see this as a success on its own sake, not sure there is a market of folks looking to plan a vacation to hit up a hotel.

And politics aren't scary, they are dangerous.