Yuengling Flight looks like their answer to Saint Archer Gold

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by ClockworkOrange, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Defender (646) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

"What the world needs now is," ANOTHER light beer? LOL!

2. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,005) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Brewbound's article on it
    Yuengling Targets Active Lifestyle Consumers with Low-Calorie, Low-ABV Light Lager Flight
    compared it to AB's Michelob Ultra (in the same segment as SAG):

FBarber and Singlefinpin like this.
  3. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (6,820) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Booo. Anymore light beers is a bad thing.

Anyone know if Yuenglings sales numbers have held steady the last few years? I know they have expanded distribution, but there is also the factor of some Yuengling drinkers that were drinking it because "hey, it's better than Bud" eventually moving to better craft beer options.

KRug likes this.
  4. jesskidden

Society Trader

The Brewbound article (linked above) has some info:
    Brewers Association figures have them down low single digits every year since 2015.

5. jmdrpi

Society

Sorry, should have read that. I figured it was just about the new beer.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  6. hillind

hillind Aspirant (266) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

Bold move with the clear bottles.

OakvilleKGB, Bitterbill and KRug like this.
  7. jmdrpi

Society

well, the days of "green bottles means a classy import" left about 25 years ago.

I'm sure it's based just copying Michelob Ultra Gold

8. hillind

hillind Aspirant (266) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

I’m sure you’re right about trying to copy Ultra Gold. Just seems like an odd choice to me. I guess I’m not the target audience here though.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  9. jesskidden

Society Trader

"Bold"? Or they could just a light stable hop extract like Hexahop® 95

10. Foyle

Foyle Savant (958) Sep 29, 2007 North Carolina

Woof. I will be so glad if and when the seltzer/flavored beer/ultra light craze is over. How I long for the days of being able to easily find a variety of traditional styles in my local grocer (stout, porter, pale ale, esb, brown ale, red ale, etc). Apparently I am a tiny minority of "malt beverage" consumer trends at the moment. I find it so frustrating that all of these malt-ernatives and ultra-lights are taking up shelf space and pushing those standard styles out.

11. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Savant (966) Nov 4, 2015 New York

& I wonder if they'll get a C&D letter over the label? Looks very close, at first glance.

hillind likes this.
  12. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (803) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

My avatar says all I need to say about this Brewery

Enjoy

13. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (283) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Trader

So many light beers aren't affordable either. Thanks Corona, ultra, and all of these lighter offerings.

My local brewery has an amazing German style pilsner. But lately they've been pushing their Mexican lager. It tastes like a Mexican lager at twice the cost. All in the name of local, and craft.

All affordable is saint archers gold? We don't get yuengling here but when I go back east, I never felt it was too heavy in flavor.

This no flavor twice the price craze needs to end already. Breweries are getting brave with his stupid the common consumer is.

14. Crusader

Crusader Disciple (318) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

Imagine the public health benefits if light beer had been introduced 50 years ago instead of in more recent years. Breweries could have launched several different brands which could have competed for market share by way of mass marketing, helping to popularize the segment and replacing the full calorie beers. But then again, hindsight is always 20/20.

15. jesskidden

Society Trader

Uncle Joe, Hersch and the Judy Taylor (aka the "Meister Brau Lite Girl") say "Thanks for remembering!" but fear your comment might be TSFTI*.
    [​IMG]
    Oh, and it's over 50 years now, but, you know - who's counting.

*Too Subtle for the Internet.

16. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,757) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Amstel "we're sorry, we thought lite beers were supposed to suck" Light has been around for a while, too. So that could have been a bridge to more healthy and tasty brews if the public was interested in such stuff.

Bitterbill, SunDevilBeer and Foyle like this.
  17. jesskidden

Society Trader

Around 1980, according to Van Munching's Beer Blast, so well after "light beer" in the US had established itself - although probably only around 15% of the US total beer market at the time.

VM wanted a light beer from Heineken to market in the US but did not want to cannibalized the flagship brand, the largest selling import in the US with about 40% of the market at the time. So they used Heineken's Amstel brand, which had left the US market in the late 1960s after the Heineken purchase of their Dutch rivals.

18. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,037) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

There was a time when @tzieser asked about my opinion on low-calorie, low-to-non-alcohol beers as a serious training distance runner. At the time, they didn't mean much to me; however, I do find myself reaching more and more for lower alcohol and lower calorie options. Less alcohol means less dehydration and a better sleep cycle, which leads to better recovery and a more productive training cycle. Excited to see more options with this lifestyle in mind available in the market place.

Only issue is it isn't available in cans, which is a serious problem when camping. Glass at the campsite is bad juju.

P.S. Was handed a Saint Archer's Gold in KC shortly after the Chiefs won the Superbowl this year. Very fond memories of that beer. Happy to have more alternatives to it. And it's packaged correctly for camping.

19. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,059) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

In Holland in 1971 I preferred Amstel, but the Heineken Brewery was an amazing big piece of a block in Amsterdam. The entire area smelled like a great bakery.

20. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (299) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I'm with you. I have remained very active but over time too many IPAs/DIPAs/higher ABV beers really started to hurt me, especially as I aged. The pounds started creeping on, my times started to slow, my sleep started to suffer...before I knew it I wasn't as thrilled with what I saw in the mirror and was just feeling more and more blah. I reversed course and feeling/looking much better. Beers like these were the perfect solution to nights like last night, where I was enjoying taco Tuesday and wanted a beer or two to go with them but didn't want to get too buzzed, feel too heavy and add too many empty calories and feel like crap the next day.

I do agree with those that said breweries need to work on pricing, though. However I do think that the market will correct especially with more competition and I can't really fault them for capitalizing on the, "Hey look over here something new!" advantage that one has with a new product which in turn can get people to pay a little more.

21. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,059) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I was a college athlete in the late 60s and have always been very active and not ever over weight. We played volleyball for years, tubing on the Mayo River (an ancient body of water), played lots of golf, and wandered about the woods looking for any artifact that appeared. Now I'm an old fart that marvels at Michelob Ultra and Peleton and am happy just to be. Also, I love Outlander and love the notion of time travel....Cheers all!

ESHBG and Bitterbill like this.
  22. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,156) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Hah! I saw some Einbecker NA pilsner the other day and thought of you. I went for the regular version instead but the NA seems to have pretty decent reviews so I might have to give it a go.

Hope your training is going well :beers:

Bitterbill and Harrison8 like this.
  23. beerwego

beerwego Initiate (83) Dec 5, 2019 New York

There is a seismic shift pouring out the backside of craft beer explosion/sharkjump...and its the obvious effect craft beer has had on our bodies which people are waking up to and realizing that beer, as wonderful as it may be, comes with a lot of baggage...and many want to unload it.

So yes, there is tons of room to innovate within the lighter beer realm. For some it might be a shift back to American lagers, for others light IPAs....but hopefully we'll see options in the forms of Gristettes, small saisons, pale ales and even stouts.

I remember Victory put out a killer session Saison (Swing), but the marketing and naming was well off-putting that it overshadowed the brilliant little beer that it was. The packaging resembled an artificial sweetener advert.

ESHBG and Bitterbill like this.
  24. Mister_Faucher

Mister_Faucher Poo-Bah (1,641) Dec 3, 2014 Washington
    Society

To assert that people who drink big beers = fatass is pompous speculation at best. I was 325 pounds at age 18, at almost 50, I've lost almost half of that. Secret? I quit eating a large pizza before going to bed and switched to a light paleo diet and still drink all the beer I want. Don't paint with such a broad brush.

Bitterbill and hillind like this.
  25. beerwego

beerwego Initiate (83) Dec 5, 2019 New York

I’ll paint what I want and how I want, and I’ll let the trends speak for themselves.

26. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (64) May 15, 2018 Virginia

It does and that was the first thing I noticed when I saw the pic in this thread and I’ve never had or purchased Mich Ultra Gold.

mikeinportc likes this.
  27. jmdrpi

Society

Have you been to a beerfest? The bearded guy with a beer gut stereotype exists for a reason.

traction and beertunes like this.
  28. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,196) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Hardly looks like an answer to me. Saint Archer is nation wide whilst Yuengling isn't. For the markets that they cover, perhaps.

29. Mister_Faucher

Society

Absolutely, but thanks for making my point with "the bearded guy with a beer gut" comment. There's THAT GUY otherwise it's not a bunch of fat people.

30. ESHBG

I have to disagree with you and I will speak about myself and all of my active family and friends and we all gained weight from too much beer. When I look around at breweries I do not see an in shape bunch overall. Because your vice was pizza and your body responded well to your current diet is great but for many others beer is what made us gain...I was extremely active and did not have a bad diet and yet in the end I found that I still could not drink all of the beer that I wanted to. I am also going to argue that if you drink three 9% beers before bed every night you will eventually see the same results as you did with the pizza.

Age changes things a lot too. Not sure how old you are and not asking but you will be amazed at how much your body changes as the decades fly by.

31. Mister_Faucher

Society

I have no problem answering my age. As I eluded to earlier, I'm almost 50, weight less than I did in 7th grade, my blood pressure is better than it's been in over a quarter of a century. You can disagree all you want, now you'll have to excuse me as I go back to killing my 6er of IPA.

32. ESHBG

That's good to hear but this is not the normal for moderate to heavy drinkers. You may be one of the lucky ones and if you are, more power to you. However I have seen far too many examples of what can happen when you gamble with your health and I prefer not to take the risk.

I would still keep an eye on that liver, though :wink:

33. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,290) Sep 24, 2007 Mayotte
    Society Trader

I represent that demographic!

traction and FBarber like this.
  34. miwestcoaster

miwestcoaster Meyvn (1,124) Jan 19, 2013 Michigan

I didn’t catch if anyone on this thread has drank Saint Archer Gold. I have had it on draft and, after two sips, traded up to a Bud heavy draft. Too lemony for me. But I am old and old school. So my guess is “The Man” is going after the Leinie’s summer shandy crowd plus trying steal back a few White Claw turn coats.

35. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (283) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Trader

I don't trust a skinny Brewer either.

I've never seen a Ultra drinker just go for one. There is a buzz appeal 90% are going after. At that calorie counting point, you gotta go with gin and tonics or diet soda/hard alcohol.

I'm sure having three Ultras is the same as having two Budweiser's

Seltzer's are in because of their near 100 calorie count and slightly lower carbs than regular macro.

The efficient drinker is all too real. I found this website which breaks it down decently
    https://www.efficientdrinker.com/beer/
    Lots of new era drunks trying to do things as effective as possible.

We have the super sweet dipas, super sweet pastry stouts, and then your calorie deficit brews, with very little in between for many social media drinkers.

36. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (64) May 15, 2018 Virginia

I've had plenty of success running long distance races (marathon, 50/100 milers, ironman) and never reached for light/low-cal beers. Sometimes the calories are a good thing, especially when you're running 80-100+ miles per week. I don't think drinking 2 light beers instead of 2 full flavored beers (talking 5.5-7.5% beers, not imperials and other high ABV stuff) would make a bit of difference in my training/results.

jasonmason and Harrison8 like this.
  37. jmdrpi

Society

Don't know where you are- but you mentioned Victory so I assume the Mid-Atlantic area.

This is my favorite full flavor but low ABV beer (it's 4.2% Dark Mild):
    [​IMG]

38. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,037) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I agree and disagree, but it's all subjective based on our own anatomies. Running vs. racing are very different (you may have meant the other, or both). Training can work around regular full strength beers, but when you're trying to squeeze time out of a fast PR in an 'A' race, that improvement in sleep and hydration throughout the training cycle can make a tremendous difference on race day. Not to say I'm super strict with my beer consumption, but I tend to opt for lighter or NA beers when the training picks up, especially during hot months when dehydration can kill your training cycle.

I've successfully run marathons with both philosophies, but have run much faster on the less-drinking plan. I just can't get away with a hungover, dehydrated 10 miler in the summer heat, but can squeak double that in the winter. Of course, everyone is different, but in general, the front end of all our local races are people not drinking much.

Overall, I am happy to see more light beer options to pull from when I'm training or when I'm after something lighter for drinking at altitude.

#39 Harrison8, Feb 27, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  39. traction

traction Zealot (561) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

Interesting numbers. I really am curious how many calories are in some of popular craft beers available now like ~8% NEIPA and big pastry stouts. I've had pastry stouts so sweet and thick I was convinced there had to be close to 1000 calories in a single can. This is all theoretical though in reality I am a guy with a beard and a beer gut who drinks whatever I want although if calorie amounts were listed on all craft beers maybe my choices would change a bit. Ignorance is definitely bliss when it comes to craft beer calories. If it isn't clear from my post I'm definitely not the target of the light beer market.

Harrison8 likes this.