Yuengling releases new year-round beer: Golden Pilsner

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Samlover55, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (250) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

That is your opinion and I think most don't agree with it. Why do you describe as it being bad? Their Black and Tan is pretty good and cheap to boot. Their lager is dirt cheap and has way more flavor than typical AAL. What exactly are you looking for in a cheap beer?

2. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Devotee (485) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

Sounds good. I'm smack, dead-center of their distribution area. I hope it makes it on tap, too.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  3. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (132) Feb 13, 2018 New York

Of course it is my opinion. Their flagship is undrinkable and it may have more flavor, but the quality of that flavor is downright offensive. I've given it a chance many many times, and I'm no beer snob. Their porter is garbage. Lord Chesterfield is another pile of shit. Black and Tan? Not me.

4. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,455) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel! :wink:

5. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (132) Feb 13, 2018 New York

Anything less would be deceitful

6. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (230) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

Saying their lager is "way more" flavorful than a typical AAL is stretching it. Slightly more flavorful is more accurate. All the core Yuengling beers are very watery. The best one by far was the Summer Wheat and I think its because its basically a copy of Hoegaarden which is a good beer to copy.

7. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (250) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Lol you hearing this @JackHorzempa .

meefmoff and FBarber like this.
  8. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,714) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Frankly, I do not think there is anything to 'hear' here.

Carry on!

Cheers!

@FBarber

9. FBarber

Premium Trader

Different strokes for different folks right Jack?

10. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Zealot (503) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

In other news TerribleAAlAdvocate.com is currently discussing DFH 120.

Spade likes this.
  11. FBarber

Premium Trader

@JackHorzempa
    Have you found the pilsner yet? I am curious to hear your thoughts. if you do a write up for NBS, be sure to tag me in it.

tzieser and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  12. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,300) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

This is pleasing. I thought "pilsner as is MILLER pilsner" but the description makes me feel otherwise.

13. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,300) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

Dang. Yings are a staple in the philly burbs. Couldnt image it not being around.

BeastOfTheNortheast and Prep8611 like this.
  14. JackHorzempa

Premium

No. It is my understanding that it will be initially released to Central PA (e.g., Harrisburg). I suspect that it will be a few months before this beer makes it to the Philly area market.

Cheers!

BeastOfTheNortheast and FBarber like this.
  15. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (283) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Agreed. Growing up in coal country (NEPA), this was the beer. Literally. It was high class per se. I don't drink it often and I can't say I drank it a lot growing up (maybe more at bars when I was home from college), but when I do it brings back memories of being back up there.

16. BeastOfTheNortheast

Just an FYI - it appears Breskis in Harrisburg has this already. It is listed as $22.99 for a case of cans. This is the same price for Lager at Breskis, so I assume it will be equivalent to the price you would pay for a case of Lager at your distributor.

#56 BeastOfTheNortheast, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    LuskusDelph, Ranbot and drtth like this.
  17. JackHorzempa

Premium

I just watched this video about the recent history of Yuengling and I enjoyed it. I thought that perhaps other BAs would enjoy it as well.

Cheers!

18. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (872) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Ehh . . . Yuengling is Yuengling. You know what you're getting when you buy it and, IMO, any of their brands are better than any macro equivalent, hands down. Crushed 8 cans of Lager (leftover from our Christmas party) during the Super Bowl without much thought before a little more than half of a Stone 12-pack. Good session, all things told.

19. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,393) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

Saw this, excited to give it a try. :sunglasses::sunglasses:

tzieser likes this.
  20. DarkDragon999

My verdict on this one is at 7.49 for a 6 pack, I dont see how you can do better at that price point. Of course you can probably get better craft beer at that price depending on where you live, but where I live there isnt any craft beer that's comparable in that price range. Id probably give it a C or C+ range. Its tasty and malt forward but the hops are very muted. Much better alternative to a Budweiser which is around the same price I think. Me personally Id rather spend the extra 50 cents and get a sixer of the Founders Solid Gold Lager instead however Ive only seen that beer around here in 15 packs.

#60 DarkDragon999, Apr 1, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  21. DarkDragon999

22. JackHorzempa

Premium

Nobody in the above video explicitly used the word "refreshment" or "refreshing" but they sure seemed to be expressing that sentiment.

Cheers!

LuskusDelph likes this.
  23. AccipiterofBeer

AccipiterofBeer Initiate (141) Nov 28, 2016 New York

I'll be keeping my eyes out for this one.

24. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (3,822) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Premium Trader

I was surprisingly pleased with their Hefe, hopefully the pilsner will result in the same.

Mipper likes this.
  25. Ranbot

Ranbot Zealot (545) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

@JackHorzempa For what's worth, I brought 12-pack of Golden Pilsner to a family gathering in mid-June and it went over very well with my father-in-law and brother-in-law. Since then both of them have bought cases of Golden Pilsner for their houses.So, I'd say we were right that Golden Pilsner is aimed at Yuengling's core customers. I like Golden Pilsner better than the Traditional Lager too, so I'm glad to have it as a beer option for family dinners/events.

EastHarris, Spade, ESHBG and 3 others like this.
  26. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,034) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

Looking forward to having that option available here. Reps tell me sometime in August.

27. RobHB

RobHB Initiate (64) Aug 20, 2017 New Jersey

I had a can at a Philles game a few weeks ago and was very disappointed. Extremely middle of the road pilsner and a huge let down considering this basically replaced Summer Wheat.

28. DarkDragon999

Ive had it a few more times since my favorable initial impression and unfortunately it just got worse and worse for me each time. A C- would be generous IMO.

29. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (223) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

For me it comes down to the price in comparison to how it tastes, it's a great value for what it is. I would never choose this over a Prima or Pikeland, though.

And I do miss Summer Wheat.

FatBoyGotSwagger, RobHB and drtth like this.
  30. BeastOfTheNortheast

Was able to try it this past week. Didn't think it was that good tbh. Had it right before a Yuengling Lager and it made Lager taste like an exceptional beer imo.

tzieser likes this.
  31. WV_Charles_Homebrew

WV_Charles_Homebrew Initiate (48) May 17, 2017 West Virginia

I feel you on Summer Wheat. It was one of my go to Summer brews and the price was right on it too. Plus we still don't have a lot of good options for heffies here in WV. I didn't even know it was discontinued until it just failed to show up this year. I'm very sorry to see it gone.

Mipper, ESHBG and RobHB like this.
  32. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins Defender (640) Nov 3, 2014 Alabama

I've had it, it's trash, I drank a very small amount and then dumped 16 ounces of nothingness down the damn drain, let me be clear...where it belonged.

33. EastHarris

EastHarris Initiate (43) Jan 9, 2012 Pennsylvania

This beer has found a permanent place in my fridge as a solid filler beer for afternoon/grilling consumption or for when company comes over. It’s a fine Pilsner, readily available, cheap, and if you’re in PA, brewed LOCALLY BY A FAMILY OWNED/RUN OPERATION.

I’m glad everytime I drink a Yuengling beer that they’re still around and I get to actually taste their products versus just reading about it. Which is the case with 99% of the original US breweries I read about.

34. Mipper

Mipper Aspirant (236) Dec 14, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Summer Wheat was a staple in my fridge and you could not beat the value at $13.99 for a 12 pack of bottles. It was a very serviceable Hefe.....and those are hard to find. Sadly, the new Golden Pilsner didn't even come close to satisfying my summer go to beer itch

ESHBG likes this.
  35. WV_Charles_Homebrew

WV_Charles_Homebrew Initiate (48) May 17, 2017 West Virginia

I haven't tried the pilsner yet. It has yet to show up in my distribution area. I'm willing to try it as I have developed an appreciation for pilsner. Admittedly, my expectations are not high, but I will try it. Even if it meets or exceeds my expectations, however, it's not going to make up for Summer Wheat being discontinued. As you say, a good heffie can be hard to find. In my neck of the woods it's even harder. I recently tried a new heffie on draft from a local brewery whose offerings I typically enjoy and was disappointed.

tzieser and ESHBG like this.
  36. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,034) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

Still no show on my end (Reps told me August) thought Yuengling Oktoberest did hit the shelves today so at least there's some movement.

37. tzieser

tzieser Savant (995) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

This beer was a massive letdown. I wasn't expecting pilsner perfection but something decent like Radeberger or even a cheaper one like Dinklelacker. Instead we were given a weird Czech-ish style pils with even less hop flavor, less aroma, less crispness. To me this beer is somewhere between a classic pre-prohibition style American Pilsner and a Czech pilsner. Personally, I'd call it a pale lager before a pilsner. Yuengling Golden Pilsner is just "not for me" unfortunately.

I'm wondering the same. @JackHorzempa how did you feel about Golden Pilsner? How did it compare to your classic american pilsner homebrew (IIRC you had said you had brewed the style in the past)?

38. JackHorzempa

Premium

I will be doing a side-by-side tasting this Sunday in New Beer Sunday of Yuengling Lord Chesterfield and Golden Pilsner.

I would like to say that I am completely 'blind' about Golden Pilsner but needless to say your posting (and other information) has already created a 'bias' for me.

I have not tasted Golden Pilsner yet but I already know a few facts:
    • This beer is lightly hopped from a bittering perspective at 18 IBUs
    • I only purchased a single bottle but at my local beer store I could purchase a 6-pack for less than 7 bucks
    Given the two bulleted items above my expectation going into this drinking experience is that Yuengling Golden Pilsner will be a very different beer from say a beer like Sly Fox Pikeland Pils.

As regards the question how does this beer compare to the CAP that I brew, I can report that my CAP is a very different beer from Golden Pilsner. My CAP is significantly greater than 18 IBUs and in addition I generously hop my CAP with Hallertau Mittelfruh hops for flavor and aroma. There is also the difference that my CAP is 80% barley malt and 20% corn while Golden Pilsner is 100% malt but if we keep the discussion solely on the topic of hopping they would be markedly different beers.

I watched a video by Jennifer Yuengling on the introduction of Golden Pilsner and on multiple occasions she used marketing speak of "refreshing/refreshment". I personally will be approaching my drinking experience for Golden Pilsner with this in mind.

Cheers!

@utopiajane

39. tzieser

tzieser Savant (995) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Well, good luck! I think you'll enjoy it. I wouldn't turn one down if someone offered me one but it's not something I'd seek out again unless there were very few pilsner options. Sorry if comments threw off your bias a bit. You're good at drinking beer so I'm sure you'll be able to shake it off!

BeastOfTheNortheast and FBarber like this.
  40. BeastOfTheNortheast

Looking forward to your thoughts.