Yulesmith Summer

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by evilc, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 California

Just showed up @ BDBS. One of my favorite DIPA's, looking forward to it. Anyone grab any?

pmarlowe likes this.
  2. jtmartino

jtmartino Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 California

Haven't seen it yet, but it sure is awesome. I don't think Alesmith makes a single bad beer.

3. evilc

Interested to hear other's opinions on this years release. Very disappointed, nothing like last year at all. Virtually no nose, bland taste - not sure wtf. I bought 8, half are gone, all 4 of those tasted the same. I swear it's IPA in a SY bottle. Maybe someone screwed up.

4. riko

riko Initiate (113) Jan 18, 2008 California
    Trader

Are you saying AleSmith IPA has no nose and bland taste? I would disagree.

stawn and pmarlowe like this.
  5. evilc

Yes. Very well made beer, but boring for an IPA. Then again when you buy it you don't know if you're getting a 3 year old bottle or not since AleSmith won't date bottles. I did get a growler once, don't remember what I thought, which means it wasn't memorable.

6. KingG

KingG Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2005 California

I drank one last night and thought it was exceptional. That classic pine and grapefruit are there and just enough malt character for some balance. Drinks very easy for a medium-bodied DIPA.

7. evilc

I didn't get the pine and grapefruit at ALL! I remember that big time from 2011. I was sticking my nose in the snifter like a dog. Had other beers after and they were all normal, tasted as they should! WTF!

8. PlinyTheYoungest

PlinyTheYoungest Initiate (107) Jun 30, 2009 California

Where'd you get your bottles? I've seen many shops that have past years of Yulesmith sitting around. The label on this year's is also slightly different. If you got it from the brewery than I don't know what to tell you.

Also their IPA is one of my favorites. I often overlook it but every time I buy it I am pleased.

9. MisterClean

MisterClean Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2008 California

Purchased at Total Wine in Rancho Cucamonga 2 weeks ago. Opening up next Tuesday

10. evilc

Best Damn Beer Shop. New bottles:

[​IMG]

11. evilc

Learned a lesson - liked last year does mean buy 8 bottles of following year. Should have tried 1 first! As extras they will go.....

:slight_frown:

12. PlinyTheYoungest

Strange. Haven't had this years yet so I can't comment. Though your underwhelming impression of their IPA makes me curious.

13. evilc

My impression that beer has always been the same - but I LOVED YS last year!

14. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2011 California

Go try it at the brewery on tap and see if there's a difference in the bottles/tap version. Bring one of your bottles and open it side by side...

Fightthegdfight and evilc like this.
  15. HopHead84

HopHead84 Poo-Bah (3,730) Nov 29, 2006 California
    Society Trader

I did a blind DIPA/IPA tasting at SOL a could weeks ago that reminded me how awesome Alesmith IPA is. I take it for granted.

16. PlinyTheYoungest

I finally had a bottle yesterday and you're right, something is different. The aroma was really pretty weak and the taste was very balanced where as before I remember it being quite intense. I feel like past years versions were much more hazy where this years is very clear, I wonder if they filtered this years batch but didn't use to in the past? Strange.

17. pmarlowe

pmarlowe Meyvn (1,355) Nov 27, 2010 Virginia

I had a taster yesterday at the tasting room, and it was definitely not bland/boring. As good as I remember from last year's release, which was fantastic.

18. SageO

SageO Initiate (199) Jul 13, 2010 California

Just had one from the tasting room. Definitely less bitter than last year's, but I think juicier.

19. evilc

Peter said at the surprise party the recipe was different. Some ingredient that they couldn't get their hands on, forget what. This explained a lot to me,

20. brokensail

brokensail Poo-Bah (6,390) May 25, 2008 California
    Society Trader

That's true of most Alesmith beers for me.

That said, I wasn't as blown away by this year's Summer Yulesmith as I have been in the past. Still good, just not as amazing as I'd remembered.

21. APreacher

APreacher Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2012 California

Good but not great.. Hop profile was lacking IMO.

22. peteinSD

peteinSD Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2010 California

there are a few beers i can distinctly recall drinking for the first time. enjoyed my first alesmith ipa in '02 and i was absolutely blown away. such a good beer.

23. ryno09

ryno09 Aspirant (210) May 1, 2010 California

Well I've had two bottles of this year's and it's certainly not what I remember YuleSmith being. Not sure what they did differently but it's lacking flavor and aroma hops.

24. evilc

Glad I'm not crazy!

25. MADhombrewer

MADhombrewer Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2008 Oregon

I remember last years to be incredibly sweet. Had one in my had this weekend but put it back.

26. baybassboy

baybassboy Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2011 California

another tip off that something with this year's is different (which i wholly agree with), last and previous year's bottles were at 9.5%ABV; this year's is 8.5%

27. HopHead84

HopHead84 Poo-Bah (3,730) Nov 29, 2006 California
    Society Trader

That's not true. Summer Yulesmith has been around 8.5% for as long as I can remember. Winter Yulesmith is 9.5%, though.

I enjoyed my bottle, but it's not as good as it has been in the last few years. Also, for an 8.5% beer it was distractingly boozy in the flavor.

28. baybassboy

baybassboy Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2011 California

Even the Alesmith website lists Summer as 9.5%. I don't know... all these beers are running together for me recently

29. evilc

I agree - I honestly feel the beer is a total mess. Next year I am going to taste it on tap before I buy a single bottle. Can't believe I bought 8 without tasting. That's how much I loved it last year.

30. Mike100proof

Mike100proof Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2012 California

I just got this in my store. Took me freakn 3 weeks to get it.

31. jamex

jamex Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2010 California

I just had this on draft in San Diego and thought it was fantastic. I missed it last year but in 2010 I thought it was just - ok; a bit too bitter.

This one was a lot more tropical and juicy as Sage wrote. Lots of orange in there.

32. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

I got a taster of this one last night. It was pretty good but I was expecting more I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.