Zinfandel

Discussion in 'Other Beverages' started by VitisVinifera, Apr 21, 2019.

1. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (1,809) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Very much enjoy Seghesio as well.

Cheers.

eppCOS likes this.
  2. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (1,809) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I had a Turley Zinfandel several years back out in California and it was awesome. I don’t remember which one it was unfortunately, but it made me alway pay attention to that name when I see it. Unfortunately I don’t ever see it other than in restaurants.

I recently had a Fredericks Vineyard Zinfandel that was really good as well.

I buy Seghesio frequently and they’re usually regulars in the house, along with 7 Deadly Zins and Cline.

eppCOS and scream like this.
  3. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,337) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

It's not all that easy to find out here, except in restaurants. A few specialty stores carry it here in pdx, and it's pretty much the same story when we visit California. Outside of restaurants, I don't think their wines see a lot of distribution. Plus, my guess is that a lot of their zin is still sold to wine club members, left over from when Helen Turley was involved (which if memory serves, was only the first vintage, but that's all it took apparently).

4. eppCOS

eppCOS Savant (903) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Cline old vines is one of the best deals out there for red (proper) Zin. Turley is fantastic but also giant, and typically super-ripe. Which is great if that's what you're after. And if you like these Zins, you should also try a Rockpile Vineyard Zin or even Petite Sirah (Petite Syrah). That grape varietal, known as Durif in France, is absolutely bonkers. Try it with a grilled flatiron steak and it's hard to go back.

scream likes this.
  5. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Yep. Our local Costco almost always carries it, and I think the price is right around $10 a bottle.

Is their a paticular Rockpile zin you tend to buy? As you probably know, a number of wineries source fruit from that vineyard.

#45 John_M, May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
  6. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (119) Feb 25, 2013 California

Been off BA for a few days because we've been bottling. Finished yesterday.

Turley is amongst the analagous First Growths of Zinfandels. I've not had one that wasn't absolutely delightful. They are worth the search, although I don't really have to search for them - they have a satellite winery/tasting room in Amador County, not far from Lodi.

Last weekend I enjoyed a stunning Zin - 2009 Carlisle Pagera Ranch Russian River Valley Zin. Planted 1934 and is a field blend (ie, a few random non-Zin vines got mixed in, common in these old vine Zins). It was just pure old vine RR Zin, the kind of wine you won't find anywhere else in the world. Lots of varietal character, just highly elevated. I bought from Carlisle very heavily over about a 7 year period and they are only a slight notch below Turley.

7. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I would be curious to know what wineries you would place in the top tier when it comes to zin.

Personally, I tend to think of wineries like ridge, seghesio and martinelli, along with arguably rosenblum, cline, hartford, biale, carol shelton, green and red, and cohn. I know Carlisle gets a lot of love from the reviewers at the wine spectator, but I haven't had enough of their wine to form an opinion about their zin.

8. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (119) Feb 25, 2013 California

I think we'd agree on most of them. Ridge, Seghesio, Hartford, Turley, and Carlisle for sure. I'm a huge fan of Rosenblum, but they must make 50+ wines a year, at least 15 Zins. Not every single Zin of theirs has blown me away - many have. Some of those you listed I have hardly had so an uninformed.

I gotta tell you, Carlisle is the read deal. Their owner, Mike Officer, is considered one of the real down-to-earth, honest guys in the wine industry. The only way I get their wines is by being a member, and I'd recommend it. It's pretty much all single-vineyard Sonoma County subappellation wines with very low individual lot case productions.

John_M likes this.